Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
West Ham 0-1 Ipswich Town - March 2001 21:50 - Feb 27 with 7234 viewsRenegade_Statman

Thanks for sharing your memories relating to the 1992 Liverpool FA Cup defeat, and thank you for making me feel welcome on this forum.

In a future Blue Monday TWiITFC History pod we will be covering Town's 1-0 win away to the Hammers back in March 2001. Reuser with the free-kick.

As always we'd love to hear any memories you have from this game.

When you sleep I will creep into your thoughts, like a bad debt that you can't pay

West Ham 0-1 Ipswich Town - March 2001 on 13:36 - Feb 28 with 1397 viewsmaccyd9

West Ham 0-1 Ipswich Town - March 2001 on 23:47 - Feb 27 by bournemouthblue

He was that extra bit of quality when you needed it

The kind of player we only loan nowadays and dream of signing. I suppose if we did ever do the impossible and get promoted again, we may just sign one of these Fraser, Lawrence or Celina's

Reuser was initially loaned in but signed for about £1 million a believe, which back then would be more like a £5 million signing

Didn't we also spend about £3 million on Stewart?

I think it was £2.5m on Stewart.

That Dyer money was invested brilliantly when you look back. McGreal, Wright, DJ. Then Stewart in January.
West Ham 0-1 Ipswich Town - March 2001 on 13:36 - Feb 28 with 1397 viewsReuser_is_God

West Ham 0-1 Ipswich Town - March 2001 on 13:34 - Feb 28 by maccyd9

The problem I had with DJ was just the sheer size of his @rse. That said, he was deceptively quick and strong and his waddle probably lulled most defenders in to a false sense of security.

Thinking back on that play off winning side is so depressing. Magilton, Holland, Reuser, Stewart, Johnson will get the headlines and would all walk in to any Championship side now but those aside, Mogga, McGeal, Venus, Clapham, Wilnis, Wright would waltz in to our starting 11 today.

What a side.

Gray Croft would get into the current side.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

West Ham 0-1 Ipswich Town - March 2001 on 13:52 - Feb 28 with 1372 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

West Ham 0-1 Ipswich Town - March 2001 on 13:36 - Feb 28 by maccyd9

That Dyer money was invested brilliantly when you look back. McGreal, Wright, DJ. Then Stewart in January.

Johnson was already here when Dyer went, but the rest absolutely - plus we loaned Reuser and signed Croft that season too

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

West Ham 0-1 Ipswich Town - March 2001 on 14:00 - Feb 28 with 1367 viewsBlueWharf

West Ham 0-1 Ipswich Town - March 2001 on 12:58 - Feb 28 by itfcjoe

Irregular posters nsblu1 and BlueWharf have a good story about this game as they had tickets in the West Ham chicken run, the delay of game after Reuser's goal may have been down to their hasty exit....

Funny old day this..

Tickets obviously sold out pretty quickly for the game, so a West Ham fan from where I worked at the time could get hold of a couple of tickets in the West Ham end. Myself and Nsblu1 (both 20 years of age at the time of writing) duly obliged to take them off his hands.

So get to the ground, find our seats and have a little look around at the type of fans in the vicinity. Both said to each other that it doesn't look too bad but both said that we would just try and blend in and not bring any attention to ourselves, which was tough because we were playing so well.

Stewart received the ball in the area, but was facing away from goal, nudged it past a west ham player but was fouled in the process. Both adamant that it was in the area and should have been awarded a pen, which we tried to not react to at the time. Reuser then cracks the freekick in...we both look at each other briefly before deciding to go mental and celebrate the goal. I started running towards one of the stand exits, not realising that Nsblu1 wasn't behind me. So stopped on the stair well to see where he was. In the meantime, several West Ham fans had realised that we were there and started trying to get to me. There was one burly steward holding the snarling fans back while they were spitting and trying to throw punches. Then I see Nsbu1 squeezing through the mob and past the steward, while more stewards helped the other existing one.

Stewards said that we were in the worst stand to be in (chicken run) if we had told them before we would have been moved to the away end.

Had to open the turnstile door expecting a load of west ham fans to be waiting the other side. Luckily there was a big old police van there.

Walked back to upton park station with us constantly looking over our shoulder.

Got told after the game from one of Nsblu1's friend at the game, that the ref/police had delayed the game until the mob had calmed down. (Not sure if anyone can confirm)
West Ham 0-1 Ipswich Town - March 2001 on 14:08 - Feb 28 with 1357 viewsITFC_Forever

West Ham 0-1 Ipswich Town - March 2001 on 13:36 - Feb 28 by maccyd9

Johnson joined in Autumn 1997 after we had gone through a bit of a dry spell up-front and immediately made an impact, scoring on his debut away at Wolves in a 1-1 draw (I think).

From then on, he never looked back and scored loads for us, with his pace causing opponents all sorts of problems.

Bit of a shame it never worked out for him with us in the Prem, he and Stewart both started the season ok, but DJ got injured and then Stewart started banging them in and that was that. Even then, DJ could have scored several before Christmas - Barthez made a world-class save from him in the Man U home game, Matt Clarke at Bradford did likewise at Valley Parade and he hit the post several times as well. Had they gone in, it could have got even better for him at Town.

One last thing, he weighed a ton. Me and another guy carried him off the pitch after the Bolton PO home leg in 2000 and had to put him down, still miles away from the tunnel. The stewards came in to rescue him!

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

West Ham 0-1 Ipswich Town - March 2001 on 14:13 - Feb 28 with 1354 viewsRenegade_Statman

West Ham 0-1 Ipswich Town - March 2001 on 14:00 - Feb 28 by BlueWharf

Funny old day this..

Tickets obviously sold out pretty quickly for the game, so a West Ham fan from where I worked at the time could get hold of a couple of tickets in the West Ham end. Myself and Nsblu1 (both 20 years of age at the time of writing) duly obliged to take them off his hands.

So get to the ground, find our seats and have a little look around at the type of fans in the vicinity. Both said to each other that it doesn't look too bad but both said that we would just try and blend in and not bring any attention to ourselves, which was tough because we were playing so well.

Stewart received the ball in the area, but was facing away from goal, nudged it past a west ham player but was fouled in the process. Both adamant that it was in the area and should have been awarded a pen, which we tried to not react to at the time. Reuser then cracks the freekick in...we both look at each other briefly before deciding to go mental and celebrate the goal. I started running towards one of the stand exits, not realising that Nsblu1 wasn't behind me. So stopped on the stair well to see where he was. In the meantime, several West Ham fans had realised that we were there and started trying to get to me. There was one burly steward holding the snarling fans back while they were spitting and trying to throw punches. Then I see Nsbu1 squeezing through the mob and past the steward, while more stewards helped the other existing one.

Stewards said that we were in the worst stand to be in (chicken run) if we had told them before we would have been moved to the away end.

Had to open the turnstile door expecting a load of west ham fans to be waiting the other side. Luckily there was a big old police van there.

Got told after the game from one of Nsblu1's friend at the game, that the ref/police had delayed the game until the mob had calmed down. (Not sure if anyone can confirm)

That's a great story - thanks for sharing it. Pretty certain this will get a mention on the Pod when we get to that game.

When you sleep I will creep into your thoughts, like a bad debt that you can't pay

West Ham 0-1 Ipswich Town - March 2001 (n/t) (n/t) on 22:43 - Mar 8 with 1241 viewsSergio

[Post edited 9 Mar 2018 5:11]
West Ham 0-1 Ipswich Town - March 2001 on 05:53 - Mar 9 with 1170 viewsPrideOfTheEast

West Ham 0-1 Ipswich Town - March 2001 on 14:00 - Feb 28 by BlueWharf

Funny old day this..

I can confirm that neither the ref nor the police delayed the game for two Ipswich fans celebrating a goal in the chicken run at West Ham.
Login to get fewer ads

West Ham 0-1 Ipswich Town - March 2001 on 07:45 - Mar 9 with 1150 viewsSteve_M

West Ham 0-1 Ipswich Town - March 2001 on 14:08 - Feb 28 by ITFC_Forever

Johnson joined in Autumn 1997 after we had gone through a bit of a dry spell up-front and immediately made an impact, scoring on his debut away at Wolves in a 1-1 draw (I think).

From then on, he never looked back and scored loads for us, with his pace causing opponents all sorts of problems.

Bit of a shame it never worked out for him with us in the Prem, he and Stewart both started the season ok, but DJ got injured and then Stewart started banging them in and that was that. Even then, DJ could have scored several before Christmas - Barthez made a world-class save from him in the Man U home game, Matt Clarke at Bradford did likewise at Valley Parade and he hit the post several times as well. Had they gone in, it could have got even better for him at Town.

One last thing, he weighed a ton. Me and another guy carried him off the pitch after the Bolton PO home leg in 2000 and had to put him down, still miles away from the tunnel. The stewards came in to rescue him!

Yes, there was a match at Crewe where we absolutely outplayed them but just couldn't score. I think one of Johnson's mates was in that Crewe side and when he asked for an opinion on Ipswich was told it would work well.

And it did.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

West Ham 0-1 Ipswich Town - March 2001 on 08:34 - Mar 9 with 1138 viewsRadlett_blue

West Ham 0-1 Ipswich Town - March 2001 on 14:08 - Feb 28 by ITFC_Forever

I reckon DJ scored a "goal" in the PL for us which was incorrectly disallowed for offside - think it was at home to Sunderland.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024