Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Flynn Downes 23:49 - Feb 13 with 11715 viewsarc

Just home from watching Luton-Crawley at Kenilworth Road with friends. Flynn Downes played beautifully. He was the base of a midfield diamond, orchestrating the play and spreading the ball calmly, simply and sensibly. He consistently showed for the ball and made everyone around him better. He had a number of lovely turns that made space for himself; a few interceptions and a couple of blocks; a shot of his own that was charged down; and a clearance off the line. I think he only gave the ball away a couple of times. There was one lovely moment in the second half when he stroked an elegant, simple diagonal ball out to the right wing, and the Luton fans behind me were gasping and saying to each other "who hit that pass?? who hit that pass??"

That said, he threw himself into a 50-50 early on and was yellow-carded, when on another day he might have been sent off. As a result, I expected him to be subbed in the second half, but he played with sense (helped by the fact that Luton were cruising) and lasted the full 90.

We had Three Counties Radio on in the car on the way home. Their commentator had Flynn as his man of the match and was raving about him. Numerous texts and tweets agreed. And Nathan Jones, the Luton boss, had nice (if measured) things to say about him too.

All in all: why can't we get midfielders like him?? ;-)
Flynn Downes on 12:39 - Feb 14 with 2114 viewsBlueBadger

Flynn Downes on 10:18 - Feb 14 by solemio

Exskuse? How did you manage to think this highly original thought?

Nearly as bad as Leadboots.

Like all the best ones like 'Beano' and 'Dim Magilton' it doesn't even make particular sense.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Flynn Downes on 12:40 - Feb 14 with 2120 viewsPilgrimblue

We have but MM won't use them. Get Downnes back with their manager.
Sold McDonnell for nothing but he would have been the future but gives Skuse two more years!! That tells you everything about MM.
Flynn Downes on 12:45 - Feb 14 with 2109 viewsconnorscontract

Flynn Downes on 12:40 - Feb 14 by Pilgrimblue

Sold McDonnell for nothing but he would have been the future but gives Skuse two more years!! That tells you everything about MM.

We couldn't play Dozzell, Bishop, Nydam, Downes, Benyu and McDonnell.

Decisions do have to be made, sometimes.

But Hourihane, with hindsight, was clearly a mistake.
Flynn Downes on 12:59 - Feb 14 with 2091 viewsitfcjoe

Flynn Downes on 12:40 - Feb 14 by Pilgrimblue

Why would McDonnell have been the future, he's older and not as good as Dozzell, Downes or Nydam?

If you, or anyone, was expecting McDonnell to takeover from Skuse next year then you've never seen either play regularly

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Flynn Downes on 13:43 - Feb 14 with 2037 viewsVaughan8

it seems he has had 2 good games at home, but wasn't very good away at Stevenage on Saturday according to my in-laws family who are season ticket holders at Luton.

He is going to be inconsistent so hopefully this loan move will make him more consistent. Lets not forget he is in a team full of confidence and top of the league so that should help him!
Flynn Downes on 15:36 - Feb 14 with 1972 viewsbraveblue

Flynn Downes on 09:27 - Feb 14 by BlueBadger

Because he's likely to see less game time, is returning from an injury and is in his first full season as a professional. Add in the fact that 'his' team are, at best wildly inconsistent, low on confidence and playing in front of a crowd that's liable to turn hostile pretty quickly it's pretty sound practice to have him out, playing full games, getting fit building confidence and developing his game rather than risking knocking by holding him here for appearances off the bench, U23 games and running the risk of impatient divs in the crowd looking for an excuse to have a go.
It's exactly what competent managers up and down the land have done for years.

I'm willing to bet that, were he playing here, you'd be whining about Mick 'ruining' him by 'making him hoof'.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 10:02]

How much do you want to bet? If he plays well for Luton, has a good pre season do you seriously see MM playing him first game of the season ahead of Skuse. No. If he had 10 Championship games under his belt and was part of the team then yes. This idea that these guys will come back and play is pure fantasy.
Flynn Downes on 15:41 - Feb 14 with 1958 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Flynn Downes on 15:36 - Feb 14 by braveblue

How much do you want to bet? If he plays well for Luton, has a good pre season do you seriously see MM playing him first game of the season ahead of Skuse. No. If he had 10 Championship games under his belt and was part of the team then yes. This idea that these guys will come back and play is pure fantasy.

Well he played in the first game of this season...

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Flynn Downes on 15:44 - Feb 14 with 1950 viewsNo9

Flynn Downes on 15:41 - Feb 14 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Well he played in the first game of this season...

The reason being?
Login to get fewer ads

Flynn Downes on 15:44 - Feb 14 with 1944 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Flynn Downes on 15:44 - Feb 14 by No9

The reason being?

His fellow youngster Andre Dozzell, who started, was injured

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Flynn Downes on 18:45 - Feb 14 with 1864 viewsKikapu

Flynn Downes on 15:44 - Feb 14 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

His fellow youngster Andre Dozzell, who started, was injured

Thanks 'Arc'. Great report and lots of interesting comments from (most) of the other contributors. Certainly a higher standard than you find elsewhere on this site.
Flynn Downes on 18:52 - Feb 14 with 1861 viewsFreddies_Ears

Flynn Downes on 07:20 - Feb 14 by Superfrans

This is great to hear. I can see Flynn being one of the first names on the team sheet next season.

I know some people are disappointed he has gone off on loan, but playing 15-20 games in men’s league football between now and the end of the season will do him far more good than popping in and out of our first team for short spells. It will do wonders for his stamina and game management being be main man for half a season.

Good stuff.

He can also gain confidence and experience playing at a slightly lower level, where there's a bit more time on the ball.
Flynn Downes on 20:08 - Feb 14 with 1830 viewslongtimefan

Flynn Downes on 09:04 - Feb 14 by TIB

Great to read your report. A Hatters fan in my office has said Flynn was just what they needed and he adds real quality to their midfield.

On another note...I watched George Fowler at Aldershot on Saturday and he looked very solid at the back, reading the game well and looking comfortable at that level. Great to see some good youth players coming through and hopefully we see more of them over the next few seasons.

Didn’t we sell Fowler rather than loan him?
[Post edited 14 Feb 2018 20:18]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024