Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wolves bid £35M for AC Milan striker 15:55 - Jan 9 with 9578 viewstractorboy2000

Sure they’ll get a slap on the wrist when they get promoted

Poll: Which goal was better?
Blog: Views of a Young(ish) Town Fan

Wolves bid £35M for AC Milan striker on 08:02 - Jan 10 with 926 viewsJimmyJazz

Wolves bid £35M for AC Milan striker on 15:58 - Jan 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

Struggling to like football when things like this happen.

I guess they are pretty much promoted anyway, but even newly promoted clubs paying c.£40m for a player is nauseating.

However the alternative is that the promoted clubs fail to compete with the other premier clubs, simply because they cannot attract the required quality of player.

A promoted team, going up and doing well, means one of those minted premier clubs comes a cropper and drops out, maybe just temporarily like Newcastle or maybe like a QPR or Sunderland and face the real world.

I'm all for seeing promoted clubs fare well, this season for example, as it puts additional pressure on other, more affluent clubs.

Wolves next season will be a good addition to the premier

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Wolves bid £35M for AC Milan striker on 09:05 - Jan 10 with 897 viewsGavTWTD

Wolves bid £35M for AC Milan striker on 16:42 - Jan 9 by FinidiCentenary

Do we really strive to be part of this circus?

Football isn't what it was. It's essentially no longer the sport we all love and adore, but it's become almost a parody of itself.

Regardless of your view on Evans, we are about 5-10 years away at best from either joining in with this nonsense and paying £10m for players ourselves and running up ridiculous debt or settling for a place in League One or League Two.

Only a matter of time before these foreign investors stop trying to take a Championship club up, but instead buy Conference and League Two clubs for nothing and then start buying Championship and Premier League players so as to turn a £1m investment into a £100m one instead of a £25m one into a £100m one.

Eventually the clubs that play along with this farce will take up the top few divisions and all the others that refuse to will be left behind. The FA won't stand up to the Premier League for the good of the game and integrity and tradition. The Premier League is simply about making money and the more TV money they throw at the clubs, the 'better' players they can attract from around the world, the more they can conquer China, India, Russia or whatever other markets remain untapped.

The snake is eating its own tail and before long we will probably be forever destined to be behind these clubs. Terrible sad that it's been allowed to go this way.

I think our only "hope" is if the championship becomes Premier League Two or whatever and it gets a new injection of cash to its clubs. Then maybe they'd drop the parachute payment and there'd be a more level playing field.

I've never really understood why we have two footballing bodies of the FA and FL apart from historical reasons. I'd merge them, personally unless anyone can tell me why not, and then maybe the lower league clubs will be properly funded by an organisation that isn't only interested in the top tier.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Wolves bid £35M for AC Milan striker on 09:12 - Jan 10 with 883 viewsFinidiCentenary

Wolves bid £35M for AC Milan striker on 09:05 - Jan 10 by GavTWTD

I think our only "hope" is if the championship becomes Premier League Two or whatever and it gets a new injection of cash to its clubs. Then maybe they'd drop the parachute payment and there'd be a more level playing field.

I've never really understood why we have two footballing bodies of the FA and FL apart from historical reasons. I'd merge them, personally unless anyone can tell me why not, and then maybe the lower league clubs will be properly funded by an organisation that isn't only interested in the top tier.

I am sure at some point the Premier League won't be happy with the billions they are making and our division will become the Premier League 2 that's been talked about for ages.

You know all the clubs at our level will happily and greedily sign up for a bigger slice of the pie and care not one jot about the League One and League Two teams they are pulling away from.

In some ways I'm almost grateful our TV money in the Premier League is spread pretty evenly, unlike other countries where the bigger clubs dominate. At least it allows Leicester, Burnley or Watford to have a shot at a half decent season.

The Premier League is on a relentless mission to stay the biggest league in the world and with the threat of China now I could see it only getting worse. But even China had the sense, early on, to reign it in a bit and stop it getting ridiculous. The Premier League, for me, will take league games to the USA or Far East, like the NFL has London games. It's really just all about money for them.

But the Football League were threatened with the solidarity payments being stopped weren't they if they pushed too much? So the FL doesn't stand up to the Premier League and the FA, presumably doing nicely from the PL, sit by doing very little.

Like my rant about old chairman and owners yet, do the people in the FA now care about the traditions or the future of the game or the salary and the kudos? I know which one my money is on.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

Wolves bid £35M for AC Milan striker on 09:14 - Jan 10 with 882 viewsSuperfrans

Wolves bid £35M for AC Milan striker on 16:42 - Jan 9 by FinidiCentenary

Do we really strive to be part of this circus?

Football isn't what it was. It's essentially no longer the sport we all love and adore, but it's become almost a parody of itself.

Regardless of your view on Evans, we are about 5-10 years away at best from either joining in with this nonsense and paying £10m for players ourselves and running up ridiculous debt or settling for a place in League One or League Two.

Only a matter of time before these foreign investors stop trying to take a Championship club up, but instead buy Conference and League Two clubs for nothing and then start buying Championship and Premier League players so as to turn a £1m investment into a £100m one instead of a £25m one into a £100m one.

Eventually the clubs that play along with this farce will take up the top few divisions and all the others that refuse to will be left behind. The FA won't stand up to the Premier League for the good of the game and integrity and tradition. The Premier League is simply about making money and the more TV money they throw at the clubs, the 'better' players they can attract from around the world, the more they can conquer China, India, Russia or whatever other markets remain untapped.

The snake is eating its own tail and before long we will probably be forever destined to be behind these clubs. Terrible sad that it's been allowed to go this way.

Spot on, sir.

And it's going to get worse. The English Premiership is comfortably the most saleable league worldwide and the TV income it generates is now 25 times what it was at the time of the first Sky deal in 1992. But it still hasn't fully cracked the Chinese and Indian markets. When it does so, the amount of money coming into the English game will escalate again and dwarf what it current receives. The likelihood is that this will happen over the next 5-10 years.

In the meantime, my personally plan is to enjoy my club while it is still something close to being my club. I know people think it has long since ceased to be their club, but when it is owned by some corporation in Asia or the Americas, with ticket sales accounting for a fraction of club income (because of the growth in TV income) it will become more detatched from us than we can possibly imagine now.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024