Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Games console advice 11:34 - Nov 6 with 3109 viewsjpr_23

Want to get a games console for Chirstmas for the family.

What is the best one to get in terms of choice of games?

The family is me, who just wants the latest Fifa, my missus who likes a puzzle game, my five-year old who would want age appropriate stuff and then a procession of foster kids. These tend to be teenagers who would want a bit of GTA or whatever is cool at the time.

Is the Nintendo Switch any good with the handheld bit or is it a straight choice between a Playstation or Xbox. Should I be looking for the latest one or are older models better value.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Blog: Why We Need a New Five-Year Plan

Games console advice on 11:42 - Nov 6 with 3086 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Tricky one, if you try to please everyone you'll probably get it wrong.

A friend of mine bought a Wii for the family as he thought it would be great fun for ALL.

A few months later he was adding an Xbox to the collection as the Wii wasnt fit for what his son needed.

Would your 5 year old be able to use the joypad properly on an Xbox etc?

Maybe get a good second hand gaming console for the foster kids (and you), and something like a Switch for the wife and kid.

How long do the foster kids typically stay for?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Games console advice on 12:30 - Nov 6 with 3035 viewsjpr_23

Games console advice on 11:42 - Nov 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

Tricky one, if you try to please everyone you'll probably get it wrong.

A friend of mine bought a Wii for the family as he thought it would be great fun for ALL.

A few months later he was adding an Xbox to the collection as the Wii wasnt fit for what his son needed.

Would your 5 year old be able to use the joypad properly on an Xbox etc?

Maybe get a good second hand gaming console for the foster kids (and you), and something like a Switch for the wife and kid.

How long do the foster kids typically stay for?

Cheers! Was worried that there wasn't an easy answer...

Think that the five yo could handle a joypad. Think she has had a go on her cousins.

Foster kids can be anything from a weekend to 6 years! Think the teenage girl that we have with us at the moment will be here for another couple of years until she is ready to live independently...

Anyone used a Switch? Is the handheld part any good?

Games console advice on 12:36 - Nov 6 with 3027 viewsGodBlue

As MM says, it's a tough call. As a bit of a gamer, I probably have most of the options you are considering, so here are my thoughts:

Playstation 4 - Unless you know other people who have one, that you're likely to want to play online with, don't bother. It's not that it's not good, just that from a family point of view I think it's more limited than the alternatives.

Xbox One - You'll need an xbone or PS4 to play AAA games (like GTA and to a lesser extent FIFA - which is available on Switch, but isn't the same experience) and this would be my recommendation.
The Xbox is also a better media centre, so I personally think it's a better option for non-gaming things like video, music, social bits etc

Nintendo Switch - Is a blinking awesome bit of kit! For family fun (where you're all playing) you won't find better. Also, the ability to go from handheld to TV in an instant is far more useful than I anticipated it might be.
Plus, it has an increasingly amazing set of core games that aren't available elsewhere that are really really good (Mario Rabbids, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Zelda, plus Pokemon on the way etc), plus some excellent arcade style games for up to six players in the store (Astro Duel being my favourite).
Also, my four year old can hold the joycon controller, which means he can play some of the more active stuff too.

Based on your requirements, I'd probably suggest an Xbox One S... but the Switch is definitely worth serious consideration IMHO... just may not appeal to the GTA crew quite as much.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2017 12:38]

Poll: After 778 days, what’s improved since Paul Lambert arrived?

Games console advice on 12:49 - Nov 6 with 3002 viewsjpr_23

Games console advice on 12:36 - Nov 6 by GodBlue

As MM says, it's a tough call. As a bit of a gamer, I probably have most of the options you are considering, so here are my thoughts:

Playstation 4 - Unless you know other people who have one, that you're likely to want to play online with, don't bother. It's not that it's not good, just that from a family point of view I think it's more limited than the alternatives.

Xbox One - You'll need an xbone or PS4 to play AAA games (like GTA and to a lesser extent FIFA - which is available on Switch, but isn't the same experience) and this would be my recommendation.
The Xbox is also a better media centre, so I personally think it's a better option for non-gaming things like video, music, social bits etc

Nintendo Switch - Is a blinking awesome bit of kit! For family fun (where you're all playing) you won't find better. Also, the ability to go from handheld to TV in an instant is far more useful than I anticipated it might be.
Plus, it has an increasingly amazing set of core games that aren't available elsewhere that are really really good (Mario Rabbids, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Zelda, plus Pokemon on the way etc), plus some excellent arcade style games for up to six players in the store (Astro Duel being my favourite).
Also, my four year old can hold the joycon controller, which means he can play some of the more active stuff too.

Based on your requirements, I'd probably suggest an Xbox One S... but the Switch is definitely worth serious consideration IMHO... just may not appeal to the GTA crew quite as much.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2017 12:38]

Thanks for this, think that I might have to get the Xbox and the Switch...

Games console advice on 13:00 - Nov 6 with 2980 viewsSwansea_Blue

Games console advice on 12:49 - Nov 6 by jpr_23

Thanks for this, think that I might have to get the Xbox and the Switch...

Other things to consider - Xbox and PS4 have their own proprietary games not available to the other console. This may not matter to you, but is worth thinking about.

Also, not sure if Xbox is 4k resolution (it may, I just don't know). PS4 pro is, and if you've a 4k tv it may be something your interested in. I've a PS4 pro and 4k tv and think it's great, but that's not to say I'm trying to influence you. Just something else to think of. 4k isn't a deal breaker though - the non 4k versions of these consoles still have great picture quality.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Games console advice on 13:41 - Nov 6 with 2919 viewsGodBlue

Games console advice on 13:00 - Nov 6 by Swansea_Blue

Other things to consider - Xbox and PS4 have their own proprietary games not available to the other console. This may not matter to you, but is worth thinking about.

Also, not sure if Xbox is 4k resolution (it may, I just don't know). PS4 pro is, and if you've a 4k tv it may be something your interested in. I've a PS4 pro and 4k tv and think it's great, but that's not to say I'm trying to influence you. Just something else to think of. 4k isn't a deal breaker though - the non 4k versions of these consoles still have great picture quality.

Xbox One S and the imminent (tomorrow I think) Xbox One X are both 4K I think.

Original Xbox One wasn't, but not sure if that's still available new

Poll: After 778 days, what’s improved since Paul Lambert arrived?

Games console advice on 14:55 - Nov 6 with 2861 viewsartsbossbeard

I own both a PS4 and a Switch.

The FIFA game on the Switch isn't as in-depth if you want to do the whole Ultimate Team thing but you can log onto either the PS4 or Switch with your EA log-in.

The main upside of the Switch is the handheld mode, it works really well and plays really well.

Different strokes and all that but I will say that I reckon kids and the Switch docking station could prove problematic, it's not the most hardy of things..

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Games console advice on 15:05 - Nov 6 with 2845 viewsjpr_23

Games console advice on 14:55 - Nov 6 by artsbossbeard

I own both a PS4 and a Switch.

The FIFA game on the Switch isn't as in-depth if you want to do the whole Ultimate Team thing but you can log onto either the PS4 or Switch with your EA log-in.

The main upside of the Switch is the handheld mode, it works really well and plays really well.

Different strokes and all that but I will say that I reckon kids and the Switch docking station could prove problematic, it's not the most hardy of things..

Thanks for all the replies. Very useful.

Appreciate the help!

Login to get fewer ads

Games console advice on 15:17 - Nov 6 with 2819 viewsJ2BLUE

Decide which one you want and keep your powder dry for Black Friday. They usually have excellent deals on console bundles.

Tech Radar compile a list of the best ones.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Games console advice on 15:25 - Nov 6 with 2799 viewsjpr_23

Games console advice on 15:17 - Nov 6 by J2BLUE

Decide which one you want and keep your powder dry for Black Friday. They usually have excellent deals on console bundles.

Tech Radar compile a list of the best ones.

Good point! Will keep an eye out...

Games console advice on 15:42 - Nov 6 with 2768 viewsStuartBrett8

We have both but for kids I would suggest an Xbox one with K'nect as it's great for little kids who can't use standard controllers and does all the Fifa and GTA for older kids.. plus it's the superior console

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024