Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Speeding fine 21:07 - Feb 27 with 3155 viewsgardins01

Just got a letter through saying I was doing 49 in a 40 Mph zone on the m5. I saw the 50 limit and reduced speed but didn't see the 40. This was back in August 2016 and only just come through. Someone told me it goes to 40 when workmen are on the motorway but I didn't see anyone. It was 11.15 at night. Tempted to go to court as feel really hacked off with it. Anyone been to court and won?
Speeding fine on 21:14 - Feb 27 with 3106 viewsJoeSoap

For speeding they can't prosecute you unless you were served a notification of intended prosecution within 14 days of the offence.

“At first nothing will happen to us, and later on it will happen to us again.”

Speeding fine on 21:20 - Feb 27 with 3067 viewsMJallday

Speeding fine on 21:14 - Feb 27 by JoeSoap

For speeding they can't prosecute you unless you were served a notification of intended prosecution within 14 days of the offence.

just ad addendum to this

The law clearly states that a written nip must be served to the registered keeper within 14 days. If the driver of the car receives it later than that because the keeper takes a few days to pass it on then the notice will still stand.

If a mags court has convicted a driver despite a breach of the 14 day rule then they have acted unlawfully. Sadly often a problem with Magistrates who sometimes like to think they know better than the statues.

The 14 day rule is explained better here

http://www.clearlicence.co.uk/caught/fortnightrule_index.html

incidently if you were caught by a policeman (as i was) , they have 6 months - c**ts
[Post edited 27 Feb 2017 21:20]

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Speeding fine on 21:21 - Feb 27 with 3050 viewsMJallday

incidently where on the m5? i traverse it daily so know it well
last year the stretch between j1 and j4, j9 and 11a, and j12 to j15 was all 50, NOT 40
[Post edited 27 Feb 2017 21:21]

Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Speeding fine on 21:54 - Feb 27 with 2922 viewsgardins01

Speeding fine on 21:14 - Feb 27 by JoeSoap

Sorry I did receive the notice of intended procecution early September but then nothing more until today which is almost 6 months. It was Junction 7 where m5 meets m6. Not sure whether to go to court. Am I just wasting my time?
Speeding fine on 22:00 - Feb 27 with 2882 viewssparks

Speeding fine on 21:54 - Feb 27 by gardins01

Sorry I did receive the notice of intended procecution early September but then nothing more until today which is almost 6 months. It was Junction 7 where m5 meets m6. Not sure whether to go to court. Am I just wasting my time?

Did you not have opportunity to take points and fine?

What would your defence be now?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Speeding fine on 22:51 - Feb 27 with 2749 viewsMJallday

Speeding fine on 21:54 - Feb 27 by gardins01

Once youve had the NIP theyve got 6 months

My summons came through 1 day before the 6 months was up. I swear they sit on it

For 49 in a 40 you wont get more than 3 pts 60 quid, unless youve already got pts, so my advice is to suck it up. Wont really affect ur insurance.

Speeding fine on 07:20 - Feb 28 with 2558 viewsm14_blue

Speeding fine on 22:51 - Feb 27 by MJallday

Once youve had the NIP theyve got 6 months

My summons came through 1 day before the 6 months was up. I swear they sit on it

For 49 in a 40 you wont get more than 3 pts 60 quid, unless youve already got pts, so my advice is to suck it up. Wont really affect ur insurance.

£100 now.

But yeah, I'd just pay it and move on.

Do the course if they give you the option.
Speeding fine on 08:17 - Feb 28 with 2473 viewsartsbossbeard

Take the points or the speed awareness course, if offered.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Login to get fewer ads

Speeding fine on 08:22 - Feb 28 with 2455 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Speeding fine on 21:20 - Feb 27 by MJallday

just ad addendum to this

The law clearly states that a written nip must be served to the registered keeper within 14 days. If the driver of the car receives it later than that because the keeper takes a few days to pass it on then the notice will still stand.

If a mags court has convicted a driver despite a breach of the 14 day rule then they have acted unlawfully. Sadly often a problem with Magistrates who sometimes like to think they know better than the statues.

The 14 day rule is explained better here

http://www.clearlicence.co.uk/caught/fortnightrule_index.html

incidently if you were caught by a policeman (as i was) , they have 6 months - c**ts
[Post edited 27 Feb 2017 21:20]

Last point is spot on and same, helpfully in my case they waited until 5 and a half months after I was pulled over to send the summons, just as I was starting to think I might get away with it

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Speeding fine on 08:30 - Feb 28 with 2438 viewsBOjK

So your defence is that you weren't really paying attention and you don't want to be fined?

I'd say you have a very strong case here. Go to court.

Be sure to let us know how you get on.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Speeding fine on 08:36 - Feb 28 with 2406 viewsartsbossbeard

Speeding fine on 08:30 - Feb 28 by BOjK

So your defence is that you weren't really paying attention and you don't want to be fined?

Whilst not directly related, I'm keeping a close eye on this hearing:

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/police_officer_denies_being_intoxicated_at_misconduct

One could argue that the PC in question holds some decent "weasling out of things" knowledge here. The bile thing being key to her defence. Interesting.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Speeding fine on 08:50 - Feb 28 with 2343 viewsBasuco

The speed awareness course is cheaper than the fine and points so take it if offered, that does make speeding look like a cash cow to me as it does not impact peoples jobs by losing a driving license while generating income.
Speeding fine on 09:02 - Feb 28 with 2307 viewsPinewoodblue

Speeding fine on 08:50 - Feb 28 by Basuco

The speed awareness course is cheaper than the fine and points so take it if offered, that does make speeding look like a cash cow to me as it does not impact peoples jobs by losing a driving license while generating income.

Awareness courses are indeed a cash cow. Know someone who has attended three in the last twelve months. He has avoided points for speeding, careless driving and using a mobile while driving.

Pretty sure some of the course fee ends up in the Police coffers.

They have recently doubled points, and fine, for using a mobile while driving presumably as a deterrent but what is the point if they then offer you an awareness course?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Speeding fine on 09:05 - Feb 28 with 2294 viewsartsbossbeard

Speeding fine on 09:02 - Feb 28 by Pinewoodblue

Awareness courses are indeed a cash cow. Know someone who has attended three in the last twelve months. He has avoided points for speeding, careless driving and using a mobile while driving.

Pretty sure some of the course fee ends up in the Police coffers.

They have recently doubled points, and fine, for using a mobile while driving presumably as a deterrent but what is the point if they then offer you an awareness course?

Aren't the rules changing so that you don't get offered the speed awareness course if caught on your mobile? It's now deemed too serious for the course, I thought??

Speeding fine on 09:17 - Feb 28 with 2247 viewsPinewoodblue

Speeding fine on 09:05 - Feb 28 by artsbossbeard

Aren't the rules changing so that you don't get offered the speed awareness course if caught on your mobile? It's now deemed too serious for the course, I thought??

He was caught for using mobile back in Septrmber. Was called a driver diversion awareness course. Find it ironic that in much of the country these courses are run, for a profit, by the AA.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Speeding fine on 09:19 - Feb 28 with 2234 viewsartsbossbeard

Speeding fine on 09:17 - Feb 28 by Pinewoodblue

He was caught for using mobile back in Septrmber. Was called a driver diversion awareness course. Find it ironic that in much of the country these courses are run, for a profit, by the AA.

Gotcha! Different name, different spin.

It is a cash cow, but given the choice again, I'd still take the awareness course (however titled) over the points.

Speeding fine on 09:48 - Feb 28 with 2172 viewsoldbluestu

Was it one of the modern digital camera or the old fashioned type, if the latter was there white lines on the road? If no white lines then challenge it, demand they prove the camera was calibrated correctly. Get your solicitor to write to them and say you will challenge as far as court if they don't, that's what mine did last year and they dropped the fine.
Speeding fine on 10:16 - Feb 28 with 2116 viewsGeoffSentence

Speeding fine on 08:36 - Feb 28 by artsbossbeard

Whilst not directly related, I'm keeping a close eye on this hearing:

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/police_officer_denies_being_intoxicated_at_misconduct

One could argue that the PC in question holds some decent "weasling out of things" knowledge here. The bile thing being key to her defence. Interesting.

The bile thing sounds like acid reflux, loads of people get that could be a handy tip.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Speeding fine on 10:17 - Feb 28 with 2114 viewsfactual_blue

Speeding fine on 08:30 - Feb 28 by BOjK

It's a good job driving without due care and attention isn't an offence.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Speeding fine on 10:19 - Feb 28 with 2104 viewsartsbossbeard

Speeding fine on 10:16 - Feb 28 by GeoffSentence

The bile thing sounds like acid reflux, loads of people get that could be a handy tip.

The 20 minute window is interesting and something I'd not heard about before.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024