Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Skuse ? 10:46 - Feb 5 with 9818 viewsjpring89

Would it be safe to say our midfield is better without him ?

Poll: What irritates you more ?

Skuse ? on 15:39 - Feb 5 with 1500 viewsMullet

Skuse ? on 10:53 - Feb 5 by Benters

Yes

So we've got blokes and bottlers who hardly go if at all, and those suggesting if we get a whole new midfield it would be much better moving from Douglas, to Knudsen to Skuse this week.

None of whom can exactly explain what he does wrong without inventing things or demanding he plays like a one man midfield.

How many players could shine partnering Dougie this season, carrying Dozzell and do a job so consistently?

It's funny this has been rumbling on for nearly 24hrs and no one can explain it.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Skuse ? on 15:56 - Feb 5 with 1479 viewsstantheman

Skuse ? on 15:39 - Feb 5 by Mullet

So we've got blokes and bottlers who hardly go if at all, and those suggesting if we get a whole new midfield it would be much better moving from Douglas, to Knudsen to Skuse this week.

None of whom can exactly explain what he does wrong without inventing things or demanding he plays like a one man midfield.

How many players could shine partnering Dougie this season, carrying Dozzell and do a job so consistently?

It's funny this has been rumbling on for nearly 24hrs and no one can explain it.

Sums it up perfectly where Skuse gets the grief when all around him seem to get off scot free except Douglas. I have lost count when Skuse has read a situation where every other player is ball watching etc. He may not be the most dynamic going forward but thank God he is a player with a brain who can read the game. He covers up so many inadequacies of other players who have been with in midfield this season.
Skuse ? on 16:10 - Feb 5 with 1461 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Skuse ? on 13:09 - Feb 5 by fergalsharkey

What are you on bout?

If we go 1 goal up in a game we sit back and protect it even with him in he side.

We didn't yesterday..

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Skuse ? on 16:36 - Feb 5 with 1437 viewsEdmunds5

I feel sorry for him, he hasn't had a consistent or suitable partner for 3 seasons. Then as soon as we get a couple of handy midfielders to compliment him people want him out the side.

La la la Sixto Peralta
Poll: Transfer deadline day or Christmas?
Blog: A Representation Of Stability

Skuse ? on 21:22 - Feb 5 with 1359 viewsOsborneOneNil

Skuse ? on 11:38 - Feb 5 by PJH

Going forward yes,defending no.
Without him in there we are more forward thinking but also more vulnerable defensively.

Eh? We've shipped plenty of goals with him playing.
Skuse ? on 21:32 - Feb 5 with 1335 viewsOsborneOneNil

Skuse ? on 15:39 - Feb 5 by Mullet

Mullet, he hides. He can't pass. He is quiet, doesn't break sweat. That's what he does wrong. Not expecting him to 'shine' next to Dougie, but he is expected to do a job, which he doesn't. He has to demand the ball in that position, he just does not.

As people have said, there are those (like you) who love him, no matter what, and those (the majority I'd suggest) who do not rate him......and that's that.

It's funny actually, the MM lovers also seem to be the Skuse lovers. Perhaps because MM hilariously said on a few occasions that Skuse is premiership class.
Skuse ? on 21:42 - Feb 5 with 1315 viewsMullet

Skuse ? on 21:32 - Feb 5 by OsborneOneNil

Mullet, he hides. He can't pass. He is quiet, doesn't break sweat. That's what he does wrong. Not expecting him to 'shine' next to Dougie, but he is expected to do a job, which he doesn't. He has to demand the ball in that position, he just does not.

As people have said, there are those (like you) who love him, no matter what, and those (the majority I'd suggest) who do not rate him......and that's that.

It's funny actually, the MM lovers also seem to be the Skuse lovers. Perhaps because MM hilariously said on a few occasions that Skuse is premiership class.

He hides? How exactly? He breaks up play repeatedly. He sweeps across the edge of the 18 and stops attacks numerous times. He keeps play moving and sure, short passes are his MO, but if he had Webster's range of passing he'd be in the Premiership.

He doesn't "break a sweat" because he is far too intelligent to do so. If you actually watch him, he times his movements excellently. Picking out much quicker runners and heading them off in a way which makes his game simple and effective.

It's not a flashy role, and he doesn't need to Alex Bruce it, because of that class. If you are smart enough to watch across the field and not just ball watch, you can see this clearly. Regularly, in fact.

Yes he has bad games, but so did Matt Holland and he was a similarly steady and consistent player in a very different role.

He doesn't have to demand the ball, his job is to win it back so McG, Lawrence et al can utilise it to their fullest ability. This is much like your dislike of Leadbitter, it seems you simply don't see what a midfielder does properly until he makes a mistake.

You haven't really explained anything either which is telling. It's a list of fairly obtuse criticisms that aren't really very useful other than to highlight what you miss. Resorting to silly jibes only confirms that.

As far as what he lacks, it's simply the things that keeps him here. If he was a fully rounded athlete, or a Hitzelsperger type goal threat he'd be way out of our range.

Skuse ? on 21:49 - Feb 5 with 1297 viewsbluelady

Skuse ? on 15:56 - Feb 5 by stantheman

Sums it up perfectly where Skuse gets the grief when all around him seem to get off scot free except Douglas. I have lost count when Skuse has read a situation where every other player is ball watching etc. He may not be the most dynamic going forward but thank God he is a player with a brain who can read the game. He covers up so many inadequacies of other players who have been with in midfield this season.

Absolutely spot on!!
Login to get fewer ads

Skuse ? on 21:51 - Feb 5 with 1283 viewsbluelady

Skuse ? on 21:42 - Feb 5 by Mullet

He hides? How exactly? He breaks up play repeatedly. He sweeps across the edge of the 18 and stops attacks numerous times. He keeps play moving and sure, short passes are his MO, but if he had Webster's range of passing he'd be in the Premiership.

He doesn't "break a sweat" because he is far too intelligent to do so. If you actually watch him, he times his movements excellently. Picking out much quicker runners and heading them off in a way which makes his game simple and effective.

It's not a flashy role, and he doesn't need to Alex Bruce it, because of that class. If you are smart enough to watch across the field and not just ball watch, you can see this clearly. Regularly, in fact.

Yes he has bad games, but so did Matt Holland and he was a similarly steady and consistent player in a very different role.

He doesn't have to demand the ball, his job is to win it back so McG, Lawrence et al can utilise it to their fullest ability. This is much like your dislike of Leadbitter, it seems you simply don't see what a midfielder does properly until he makes a mistake.

You haven't really explained anything either which is telling. It's a list of fairly obtuse criticisms that aren't really very useful other than to highlight what you miss. Resorting to silly jibes only confirms that.

As far as what he lacks, it's simply the things that keeps him here. If he was a fully rounded athlete, or a Hitzelsperger type goal threat he'd be way out of our range.

I would also say that a majority of people I talk to do rate him they just don't post on here!!
Skuse ? on 21:56 - Feb 5 with 1278 views3_5_2

So some fans have a different view to you You should accept that

Before I get a volley about not putting up any reasons why I would like to change him, here is my two pence worth

He is a defensive midfielder who job is to break up play but many teams have systems that allow such a player to get forward and effect play offensively In my view Skuse cannot do this job, he is a decent defensive Mf but no more.

I've liked some of what he has done but we cannot have him just sat in all game

Time to freshen it up

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Skuse ? on 22:06 - Feb 5 with 1263 viewsMullet

Skuse ? on 21:56 - Feb 5 by 3_5_2

So some fans have a different view to you You should accept that

Before I get a volley about not putting up any reasons why I would like to change him, here is my two pence worth

He is a defensive midfielder who job is to break up play but many teams have systems that allow such a player to get forward and effect play offensively In my view Skuse cannot do this job, he is a decent defensive Mf but no more.

I've liked some of what he has done but we cannot have him just sat in all game

Time to freshen it up

I accept it fine. But I don't see anything beyond he "should stop every goal" or play a completely different game. There's been very little substantive criticism, instead juvenile nonsense about "Mick's favourite" and the like.

I don't disagree that he's not an attacking outlet, but that's symptomatic of the fact our attacking outlets have been largely injured (McG, Williams), sold or released (Varney, Murphy) or largely terrible (Best).

If we got rid of Skuse, we'd have had Douglas sat there when he's already been massively overplayed, as Bishop has only just come back fit again, Hyam has been missing all season.

Diagouraga had one game with him, and Skuse was MOTM or a close second. They look like an excellent prospective partnership to allow Emmanuel/Spence to attack more, let Knudsen and Lawrence combine.

We've had one game with all the new midfielders coming in and before yesterday people were calling it a terrible window, slating players they'd yet to see. I'd say we can freshen plenty across the whole XI and where we need that most is not DM at all.

Skuse ? on 22:08 - Feb 5 with 1260 viewsPJH

Skuse ? on 21:32 - Feb 5 by OsborneOneNil

Regarding your last paragraph perhaps those that are both MM lovers and Skuse lovers love them both because they are both very good at the jobs that they do?
Skuse ? on 22:12 - Feb 5 with 1243 views3_5_2

Skuse ? on 22:06 - Feb 5 by Mullet

I accept it fine. But I don't see anything beyond he "should stop every goal" or play a completely different game. There's been very little substantive criticism, instead juvenile nonsense about "Mick's favourite" and the like.

I don't disagree that he's not an attacking outlet, but that's symptomatic of the fact our attacking outlets have been largely injured (McG, Williams), sold or released (Varney, Murphy) or largely terrible (Best).

If we got rid of Skuse, we'd have had Douglas sat there when he's already been massively overplayed, as Bishop has only just come back fit again, Hyam has been missing all season.

Diagouraga had one game with him, and Skuse was MOTM or a close second. They look like an excellent prospective partnership to allow Emmanuel/Spence to attack more, let Knudsen and Lawrence combine.

We've had one game with all the new midfielders coming in and before yesterday people were calling it a terrible window, slating players they'd yet to see. I'd say we can freshen plenty across the whole XI and where we need that most is not DM at all.

Fair enough

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Skuse ? on 03:41 - Feb 6 with 1167 viewsharlingblue

Skues, until injury, was having a good game alongside Huws and Diagouraga, and at last we had a combative but also creative midfield. Ward came on for him and with a reshuffle also had a very good game. A much happier day was had by team and supporters alike.
Skuse ? on 05:52 - Feb 6 with 1162 viewsReuser_is_God

If we let Knudsen & Lawrence combine then Lawrence would never get the ball!

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Skuse ? on 08:53 - Feb 6 with 1118 viewsOsborneOneNil

'He doesn't "break a sweat" because he is far too intelligent to do so.'

Brilliant.
Skuse ? on 09:12 - Feb 6 with 1098 viewsfinidiwoah

The criticism is that as a midfielder even a defensive one which seems for some reason to be his get out clause he doesn't win a header, put in a hard tackle that will make a team like Derby (who ran riot in midfield by the way) think about jogging past him with the ball. He doesn't pick anybody up mentally or try and boost the morale or get the crowd/other players going either by winning a big 50/50 tackle and letting others feed off it or by talking people up, communicating, encouraging. He coasts and he hides up. The worst of all of this is he doesn't show for the ball - he "times his movement perfectly" as you put it previously - to co-inside with another opposition player being between him and the ball so he cant receive it - that is CRIMINAL for a centre midfielder.

That is where the game is won and lost with the speed and tempo of the game, the biggest battle in the middle of the park - he doesn't win any of those things!!

He isn't all bad agreed but has some very serious flaws in his game the biggest being not willing to get on the ball.

He reads a game well at times and sometimes makes a tackle that everyone thinks is brilliant - but he's been able to make that tackle because he sits so deep and so far away from the play that he has a 10/15 yard head start on anyone breaking.

Time will tell - but for me Cole Skuse is currently causing us more problems than he's solving!!
[Post edited 6 Feb 2017 9:15]
Skuse ? on 09:26 - Feb 6 with 1083 viewsNo9

Skuse ? on 09:12 - Feb 6 by finidiwoah

The criticism is that as a midfielder even a defensive one which seems for some reason to be his get out clause he doesn't win a header, put in a hard tackle that will make a team like Derby (who ran riot in midfield by the way) think about jogging past him with the ball. He doesn't pick anybody up mentally or try and boost the morale or get the crowd/other players going either by winning a big 50/50 tackle and letting others feed off it or by talking people up, communicating, encouraging. He coasts and he hides up. The worst of all of this is he doesn't show for the ball - he "times his movement perfectly" as you put it previously - to co-inside with another opposition player being between him and the ball so he cant receive it - that is CRIMINAL for a centre midfielder.

That is where the game is won and lost with the speed and tempo of the game, the biggest battle in the middle of the park - he doesn't win any of those things!!

He isn't all bad agreed but has some very serious flaws in his game the biggest being not willing to get on the ball.

He reads a game well at times and sometimes makes a tackle that everyone thinks is brilliant - but he's been able to make that tackle because he sits so deep and so far away from the play that he has a 10/15 yard head start on anyone breaking.

Time will tell - but for me Cole Skuse is currently causing us more problems than he's solving!!

I agree completely with your analysis of Cole Skuse.
I don't go to away games but I do go to most home games & don't believe Cole S is anywhere good enough for this division and is part of Towns problems rather than being a player who offers any solutions.

It was obvious on Saturday that without Cole S the whole team became more mobile and did not sit back in their own half waiting to be attacked.

Both Towns games came from midfielders carrying & pushing balls forward. The second part of the first half was exciting to say the least but more importantly when they scored Towns head, for a change didn't drop.

If MM lets Cole S have a few weeks rest it is obvious they can play together and become a threat OK, a draw at home isn't the ebst result but it is a heel of an improvement over Fulham & Derby
Skuse ? on 10:12 - Feb 6 with 1071 viewsDolly2.0

Skuse ? on 09:26 - Feb 6 by No9

I agree completely with your analysis of Cole Skuse.
I don't go to away games but I do go to most home games & don't believe Cole S is anywhere good enough for this division and is part of Towns problems rather than being a player who offers any solutions.

It was obvious on Saturday that without Cole S the whole team became more mobile and did not sit back in their own half waiting to be attacked.

Both Towns games came from midfielders carrying & pushing balls forward. The second part of the first half was exciting to say the least but more importantly when they scored Towns head, for a change didn't drop.

If MM lets Cole S have a few weeks rest it is obvious they can play together and become a threat OK, a draw at home isn't the ebst result but it is a heel of an improvement over Fulham & Derby

"It awas obvious on Saturday that without Cole S the whole team became more mobile and did not sit back in their own half waiting to be attacked."

Utter nonsense. Are you saying we sat back in our own half waiting to be attacked until the 20th minute, then suddenly it all changed when Skuse went off?

If you are you were at the wrong game.

As I've already said above, we were great from the first minute and that continued after Skuse went off, not because of him going off.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Skuse ? on 10:34 - Feb 6 with 1053 viewsNo9

Skuse ? on 10:12 - Feb 6 by Dolly2.0

"It awas obvious on Saturday that without Cole S the whole team became more mobile and did not sit back in their own half waiting to be attacked."

Utter nonsense. Are you saying we sat back in our own half waiting to be attacked until the 20th minute, then suddenly it all changed when Skuse went off?

As I've already said above, we were great from the first minute and that continued after Skuse went off, not because of him going off.

Town had a couple of pokes at goal before Skuse went off, one from Emmanuel & one from Knudsen.

At the end of the game Town had 16 shots - that must be a record for this season?

When did Town last play @ PR as well as they did for the second part of the first half?
FIrst time I have seen a /2 time stadning ovation for a very long while - it's usually boos.
Skuse ? on 11:12 - Feb 6 with 1034 viewsDolly2.0

Skuse ? on 10:34 - Feb 6 by No9

Town had a couple of pokes at goal before Skuse went off, one from Emmanuel & one from Knudsen.

At the end of the game Town had 16 shots - that must be a record for this season?

When did Town last play @ PR as well as they did for the second part of the first half?
FIrst time I have seen a /2 time stadning ovation for a very long while - it's usually boos.

I don't disagree with any of that. How is that at odds with what I've posted?

If you think it's all down to Skuse going off you're scapegoating. We were very good from the off, there was no sea change at 20 mins.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Skuse ? on 11:36 - Feb 6 with 1009 viewsOsborneOneNil

Skuse ? on 11:12 - Feb 6 by Dolly2.0

If you think it's all down to Skuse going off you're scapegoating. We were very good from the off, there was no sea change at 20 mins.

Skuse hinders more than helps. It's clear to see.

Did you watch the Bristol City or Lincoln away? As a previous poster describes, Skuse literally moved into a position so that an opposition player was between himself and the team mate who had the ball. He didn't want to receive the ball........criminal.
Skuse ? on 11:42 - Feb 6 with 994 viewstheipswichman

Skuse ? on 11:12 - Feb 6 by Dolly2.0

Skuse is great at what he does, reading the game and tracking the opposition. As others have said he is probably one of the most intelligent players we have without the ball. However he doesn't want the ball enough for me, he tends to shy away from taking it off the defence.

It was a nice refreshing change to see three midfield players as well as the two strikers wanting the ball, trying to play simple but exciting football. Skuse is a decent player but I feel as if we need more, especially if the leeds guy can build on his performances and become our main defensive midfielder.
Skuse ? on 12:34 - Feb 6 with 974 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Skuse ? on 09:12 - Feb 6 by finidiwoah

Spot On!

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Skuse ? on 12:49 - Feb 6 with 949 viewsfinidiwoah

Skuse ? on 10:12 - Feb 6 by Dolly2.0

Which part of my comment did you disagree with Dolly out of interest?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024