Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Proof of the existence of ghosts? 12:24 - Jan 11 with 12352 viewsmonytowbray

Leading on from something I found quite interesting via a post from a mate on FB, has anyone here personally ever seen, heard or experienced anything that makes them almost certain of the existence of ghosts/spirits?

I've been on ghost walks and stuff but remain sceptical that there is a logical or scientific explanation for everything.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Proof of the existence of ghosts? on 12:34 - Jan 11 with 4100 viewsGuessblue

Do ghosts exist?

Absolutely
Proof of the existence of ghosts? on 12:39 - Jan 11 with 4074 viewsgtsb1966

Many years ago my daughter was sitting on the stairs talking to her friend on the phone. Whilst in mid conversation she screamed and came running into the room saying an old man was sitting on the stairs beside her. For weeks she was scared. Sometime later my mother in law died and we had her ashes in a back room of our house, adjacent to the kitchen, ready to be scattered at a family grave in London. My kitchen was rectangular and stuck neatly in one corner was a tray with the dogs water on and the dog would sleep on its bed next to it. One night I was awoken by the dog going mad and scratching furiously at the door trying to get out. It then suddenly stopped but the next morning I went downstairs to find deep claw marks in the door where the dog had been so frightened. The next night the same thing happened and I got up and went downstairs. When I went into the kitchen I found the dogs tray had been moved from the corner to the middle of the room without a drop of water spilt. Was it that old man, was it something to do with the ashes in the cupboard in the next room. I'll never know but it changed my perception of the spirit world.
Proof of the existence of ghosts? on 12:41 - Jan 11 with 4059 viewsDarth_Koont

There's no proof. There's no proof they don't exist either but that's to expected.

There is however proof that the human mind is extremely fallible and suggestible, which for me is the explanation that needs to be disproved.

Pronouns: He/Him

Lets be honest. anyone that..... on 12:48 - Jan 11 with 3980 viewsBloots

....believes in ghosts is a bit of a div.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Proof of the existence of ghosts? on 12:49 - Jan 11 with 3960 viewsReuser_is_God

Not a chance.

Anyone who believes they exist is an utter loon.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Lets be honest. anyone that..... on 12:50 - Jan 11 with 3951 viewsgtsb1966

Lets be honest. anyone that..... on 12:48 - Jan 11 by Bloots

What about people who believe in god then. Are they divs too?
Children have vivid imaginations and do not have..... on 12:51 - Jan 11 with 3932 viewsBloots

Proof of the existence of ghosts? on 12:39 - Jan 11 by gtsb1966

Many years ago my daughter was sitting on the stairs talking to her friend on the phone. Whilst in mid conversation she screamed and came running into the room saying an old man was sitting on the stairs beside her. For weeks she was scared. Sometime later my mother in law died and we had her ashes in a back room of our house, adjacent to the kitchen, ready to be scattered at a family grave in London. My kitchen was rectangular and stuck neatly in one corner was a tray with the dogs water on and the dog would sleep on its bed next to it. One night I was awoken by the dog going mad and scratching furiously at the door trying to get out. It then suddenly stopped but the next morning I went downstairs to find deep claw marks in the door where the dog had been so frightened. The next night the same thing happened and I got up and went downstairs. When I went into the kitchen I found the dogs tray had been moved from the corner to the middle of the room without a drop of water spilt. Was it that old man, was it something to do with the ashes in the cupboard in the next room. I'll never know but it changed my perception of the spirit world.

....the mental development to understand everything they think they see or hear.

Dogs are stupid.

Sorted.

Lets be honest. anyone that..... on 12:52 - Jan 11 with 3922 viewsCaptainObvious

Lets be honest. anyone that..... on 12:50 - Jan 11 by gtsb1966

There has to be a god, even if it turns out to be a computer.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

Login to get fewer ads

Proof of the existence of ghosts? on 12:52 - Jan 11 with 3906 viewsLankHenners

I've always thought seeing a ghost would be a very unnerving experience, because if you see a ghost, then they either exist and you're staring at something supernatural, which is pretty spooky, or they don't exist and you've projected that image yourself into your situation, which makes you question yourself which is pretty chilling.

I knew someone who had a few ghost stories. When someone has 1 or 2 you can go along and start to believe them a little bit, but she had several classic tales (figures appearing in photographs who weren't there when they were taken, getting a ouija board out and felt someone touching them or moving something in the room etc.).

One that was backed up independently was the story of her daughter who she claims has some sort of supernatural 'shining' ability. Apparently she can detect disturbances and has allegedly predicted events like family bereavement before anyone knows about it. I know the girl who babysat her and she said that they were in her room once (just her and the toddler) and the little girl kept asking the babysitter who her friend was. Beginning to get concerned the babysitter asked her what she was talking about and the girl responded "Him. That boy over there." Turning around to see nothing the babysitter picked up the girl and ran into the garden, staying there for the rest of the day.

No reason to doubt the source I heard it from but the child could well have been going along with a prank or just have a very active imagination. Your hear things of children being able to recount experiences from past lives or make chilling predictions that come true. An old teacher of mine once said when she was little and the family were about to go out for dinner she suddenly remarked "I don't think we should be going out when Grandpa's just died". Grandpa was very much alive to the family's knowledge but 30 seconds later the phone rang from the hospital bearing bad news. She said she's never been a believer in the supernatural but that one event has always made her sceptical in the back of her head.

Not sure I believe in the supernatural myself as you'd have thought we'd all know about it if they did exist, although I always find it very interesting to hear stories from people who swear they exist and have 'evidence' to prove it. The brain is very powerful and as it works on in the background without you actively using it I don't think it's a long shot to suggest you're capable of conjuring up things you want (or don't want) to see in front of you through your thoughts and imagination.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2017 12:53]

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

If believing in a supernatural being.... on 12:53 - Jan 11 with 3888 viewsBloots

Lets be honest. anyone that..... on 12:50 - Jan 11 by gtsb1966

....whether it's a ghost or an all seeing, all powerful "god", gives the individual comfort, faith, and helps them through life then that's good and up to them.

But yeah, they are obviously a bit of a div.

Proof of the existence of ghosts? on 12:55 - Jan 11 with 3852 viewsBenters

Ive seen one in Falmouth in a room i was staying in

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Proof of the existence of ghosts? on 12:56 - Jan 11 with 3842 viewsWonky

If they existed we'd be overrun with em.
I think the fact that the vast majority of..... on 12:58 - Jan 11 with 3806 viewsBloots

Proof of the existence of ghosts? on 12:52 - Jan 11 by LankHenners

I've always thought seeing a ghost would be a very unnerving experience, because if you see a ghost, then they either exist and you're staring at something supernatural, which is pretty spooky, or they don't exist and you've projected that image yourself into your situation, which makes you question yourself which is pretty chilling.

I knew someone who had a few ghost stories. When someone has 1 or 2 you can go along and start to believe them a little bit, but she had several classic tales (figures appearing in photographs who weren't there when they were taken, getting a ouija board out and felt someone touching them or moving something in the room etc.).

One that was backed up independently was the story of her daughter who she claims has some sort of supernatural 'shining' ability. Apparently she can detect disturbances and has allegedly predicted events like family bereavement before anyone knows about it. I know the girl who babysat her and she said that they were in her room once (just her and the toddler) and the little girl kept asking the babysitter who her friend was. Beginning to get concerned the babysitter asked her what she was talking about and the girl responded "Him. That boy over there." Turning around to see nothing the babysitter picked up the girl and ran into the garden, staying there for the rest of the day.

No reason to doubt the source I heard it from but the child could well have been going along with a prank or just have a very active imagination. Your hear things of children being able to recount experiences from past lives or make chilling predictions that come true. An old teacher of mine once said when she was little and the family were about to go out for dinner she suddenly remarked "I don't think we should be going out when Grandpa's just died". Grandpa was very much alive to the family's knowledge but 30 seconds later the phone rang from the hospital bearing bad news. She said she's never been a believer in the supernatural but that one event has always made her sceptical in the back of her head.

Not sure I believe in the supernatural myself as you'd have thought we'd all know about it if they did exist, although I always find it very interesting to hear stories from people who swear they exist and have 'evidence' to prove it. The brain is very powerful and as it works on in the background without you actively using it I don't think it's a long shot to suggest you're capable of conjuring up things you want (or don't want) to see in front of you through your thoughts and imagination.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2017 12:53]

....paranormal sightings are made by kids speaks volumes.

As you say, active, impressionable imaginations.

Proof of the existence of ghosts? on 12:59 - Jan 11 with 3790 viewsgtsb1966

Proof of the existence of ghosts? on 12:56 - Jan 11 by Wonky

If they existed we'd be overrun with em.

Like Poles you mean.
Lets be honest. anyone that..... on 12:59 - Jan 11 with 3784 viewsmonytowbray

I should probably rephrase; not saying it's a conscious spirit or demons or anything like that. More that something along those lines exist we can't understand and may never understand. I've always been open to the idea of alternative realities, channelled energy or recordings of the past somehow being relayed in some physical form. All are possibilities we simply don't understand with science (yet).

TWTD never forgets…

Proof of the existence of ghosts? on 13:00 - Jan 11 with 3752 viewsPJH

Proof of the existence of ghosts? on 12:49 - Jan 11 by Reuser_is_God

Not a chance.

Anyone who believes they exist is an utter loon.

That might come back to haunt you.
Proof of the existence of ghosts? on 13:03 - Jan 11 with 3729 viewsmonytowbray

Proof of the existence of ghosts? on 12:55 - Jan 11 by Benters

Ive seen one in Falmouth in a room i was staying in

Tell us the full story Benters?

TWTD never forgets…

Proof of the existence of ghosts? on 13:03 - Jan 11 with 3715 viewsmonytowbray

Proof of the existence of ghosts? on 13:00 - Jan 11 by PJH

That might come back to haunt you.

He'll have a fright when that happens.

TWTD never forgets…

That's a different matter.... on 13:04 - Jan 11 with 3703 viewsBloots

Lets be honest. anyone that..... on 12:59 - Jan 11 by monytowbray

I should probably rephrase; not saying it's a conscious spirit or demons or anything like that. More that something along those lines exist we can't understand and may never understand. I've always been open to the idea of alternative realities, channelled energy or recordings of the past somehow being relayed in some physical form. All are possibilities we simply don't understand with science (yet).

....most people here are talking about old blokes walking around with their head under their arm.

Or merely recounting things they've seen in films.

Load of old guff.

Children have vivid imaginations and do not have..... on 13:05 - Jan 11 with 3692 viewsStenvict

Children have vivid imaginations and do not have..... on 12:51 - Jan 11 by Bloots

....the mental development to understand everything they think they see or hear.

Dogs are stupid.

Sorted.

He didn't specify the age of his daughter at the time.

Poll: What will be announced first?

That's a different matter.... on 13:05 - Jan 11 with 3694 viewsmonytowbray

That's a different matter.... on 13:04 - Jan 11 by Bloots

....most people here are talking about old blokes walking around with their head under their arm.

Or merely recounting things they've seen in films.

Load of old guff.

So you're saying ghosts are actually just farts that take some kind of visible or energetic form?!

TWTD never forgets…

He was sitting on the end of his bed..... on 13:06 - Jan 11 with 3678 viewsBloots

Proof of the existence of ghosts? on 13:03 - Jan 11 by monytowbray

Tell us the full story Benters?

....and he saw a deathly pale harrowing image with bloodshot eyes, drool coming from it's mouth and a face that left him cold from shock and fear.

Then he realised it was a mirror.

Innit.

Sweardown.

I've often thought that the world would.... on 13:08 - Jan 11 with 3648 viewsBloots

That's a different matter.... on 13:05 - Jan 11 by monytowbray

So you're saying ghosts are actually just farts that take some kind of visible or energetic form?!

.....be a far better place if you could actually see farts.

Just a cloud of green coloured gas would do the trick.

Lets be honest. anyone that..... on 13:09 - Jan 11 with 3641 viewswitchdoctor

you believe then I take it?..👍
He was sitting on the end of his bed..... on 13:10 - Jan 11 with 3606 viewsmonytowbray

He was sitting on the end of his bed..... on 13:06 - Jan 11 by Bloots

....and he saw a deathly pale harrowing image with bloodshot eyes, drool coming from it's mouth and a face that left him cold from shock and fear.

Then he realised it was a mirror.

Innit.

Sweardown.

It was Taxers breaking into his room in the morning to offer him coffee and a spoon.

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024