Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Its so much different this time 08:13 - May 2 with 319 viewswkj

In the 90s/00s we were a team who had enjoyed a lot of success and were no strangers to the top league. Burley took time to build a squad that would become the David to the football world's goliath.

I was young back then and going to the football was always fun, but I had grown tired of Crewe somehow beating us and the annual pilgrimage to Birmingham City away (it always seemed to be Brum or Sheffield United)

However, back then there was no hurt. This is the big difference to now. 20 years or so of supporting town since our millennium resurgence has been full of hurt. The collapse of ITV digital meant we had written cheques we couldn't cash, we had a number of bittersweet nearly seasons, and of course came Marcus Evans who really had no clue of a sustainable recruitment strategy that ended up biting us in the bum.

One of Evans' last communications was "Green Shoots" with the implication we'd be relying on youth rather that recruiting (which was code for - we ain't going to be spending much). I mean, how ridiculous is that, look at the 'elite' clubs putting their U21s into the EFL trophy and not really doing much, how was our Academy going to keep us competitive in L1? (Spoiler: It wasn't)

Obviously, there is a lot to do on Saturday, and this isn't a post celebrating something we've not won yet, but the feelings I have for this game. The 99 promotion was a great release after a few seasons failing in the playoffs, but this is a full blown moment of potential catharsis brewing for what I hope will be our final big finger up to the last 20 years of being a town fan.

COYB, lets not hurt any more!

[Post edited 2 May 8:13]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024