Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Driving abroad - no V5c 12:13 - Nov 11 with 703 viewsZx1988

Following on from my previous XC60 vs CRV thread (thanks for the advice, all!) we're taking delivery of an XC60 next week.

Only potential issue is that we're driving to Bruges the next day so, obviously, won't have the seemingly-mandatory V5c.

Is this likely to be a one-way ticket to feeling €150-odd poorer if we're stopped, or will carrying a copy of the sales invoice and new keeper supplement, along with a cheery demeanour and a willingness to at least try to speak French have a chance of placating our new-found friends in the Gendarmerie?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Driving abroad - no V5c on 12:27 - Nov 11 with 655 viewsfabian_illness

Same as if you had bought a car abroad to drive home.
Have all the relevant paperwork associated with the sale as well as insurance, licence etc.
Don't forget your euro driving pack, hi viz etc etc.
Driving abroad - no V5c on 12:28 - Nov 11 with 655 viewsDJR

Is this a consequence of Brexit, because I've taken a car France before and never even thought about taking the V5c?
[Post edited 11 Nov 2023 12:28]
Driving abroad - no V5c on 08:33 - Nov 12 with 551 viewsZx1988

Thanks folks, much appreciated.

Yes, I think the V5c is another Brexit bonus - something to do with import/export regulations, I believe.

Generally speaking, do the gendarmerie deserve their fearsome reputation amongst British drivers, or is it more a case of their absolute passion for fining les rosbifs being somewhat over-exaggerated by Brits who've ended up being fined for good reason?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Driving abroad - no V5c on 09:03 - Nov 12 with 517 viewsDJR

Driving abroad - no V5c on 08:33 - Nov 12 by Zx1988

Yes, I think the V5c is another Brexit bonus - something to do with import/export regulations, I believe.

Generally speaking, do the gendarmerie deserve their fearsome reputation amongst British drivers, or is it more a case of their absolute passion for fining les rosbifs being somewhat over-exaggerated by Brits who've ended up being fined for good reason?

This says you need the V5c "if you have one

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in-the-eu

I can't imagine you will stopped, but if you take copies of documents relating to your purchase I would have thought that's enough. My experience of Spain, where there are sometimes road checks, is that the police are more interested in identity documents.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2023 9:05]
Driving abroad - no V5c on 09:39 - Nov 12 with 483 viewsPinewoodblue

Driving abroad - no V5c on 09:03 - Nov 12 by DJR

This says you need the V5c "if you have one

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in-the-eu

I can't imagine you will stopped, but if you take copies of documents relating to your purchase I would have thought that's enough. My experience of Spain, where there are sometimes road checks, is that the police are more interested in identity documents.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2023 9:05]

40 years ago you were supposed to take V5 with you. Incidentally if you were driving a Company car there was another DVLA document you needed as a substitute for V5. Assume it is the same now and presumably also for leased vehicles.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Driving abroad - no V5c on 10:17 - Nov 12 with 457 viewsbluelagos

Driving abroad - no V5c on 08:33 - Nov 12 by Zx1988

So taking your V5 abroad was a requirement for the French plod before brexit - so harsh to add that one to the many bruckups.

I have toured countless times in Europe and I never take my V5 - reason being if my bike is stolen - the thief would have my V5 too - and so would make a sale in the UK a piece of cake.

I take a copy - photocopied or a photo - should the police wish to see it. Not sure if that is good enough as I have never been asked to show it - and know of no one ever being asked for it.

So I wouldn't worry too much tbh.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024