Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RSI 08:56 - Nov 9 with 1049 viewsgeg1992

Hi all,

I'm interested to know if anyone has suffered with RSI and if anyone has advice / success stories surrounding it.

I work in an office so I'm on the computer for 8 hours a day minimum. Until this week, I would then also play PlayStation for 2 hours each night, which I have now put on hold.

I stopped because when playing PlayStation my hand would start to go numb and there was also a bit of pain. When I shook my hand it would go so I assumed something circulation related. I had this issue a few years ago and it just went away so I hoped the same would happen, but not this time.

However also over the last few weeks I've noticed pain when bending my wrist, notably near the thumb area, but a few days ago I started to get a bit of pain all over the wrist and notably the ball part at the side of the wrist, not sure what the name of it is.

Previously I've found Reddit to be a helpful source of information, such as when my wife was in hospital at the start of the year, it gave me so much useful information about what to expect and how to best help her. However, this time after reading it, It's made me absolutely terrified, as so many people on there have had RSI that has left them disabled and unable to complete basic tasks, let alone work.
This has been a real wake up call for me. I'm overweight, my posture has been bad over the years etc. I really want to sort my self out and I am doing stretches every lunch time now.

Weirdly, when typing at work, I rarely experience that much pain, it's things like putting pressure on my wrist to get out of the bath creates pain and any motion that causes my wrist to bend too far.

So far, i've:

Got a proper chair with good head and lumber support.
Raised the height and put arm rests higher to try and avoid my wrist resting on the desk as I assumed that it would compress nerves.
Wear a splint at night as I found my wrist would often bend, cause pain and wake me up.
Started doing stretches every few hours and following YouTube videos at night with more.

I partly wonder if it's neck related, my neck always clicks when I turn to the left which doesn't sound great, but MRI has been fine.

The issue is now that I'm worried about it, I think it's made the issue worse. So hoping for some reassurance. Sorry I know it's not the usual thing to post on a football forum but there's a lot of wise minds on here!

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

RSI on 09:18 - Nov 9 with 1005 viewsRyorry

I had RSI in both wrists from age 12 approx (worked with horses, lifting heavy buckets of water etc) - same symptoms as yourself - pain, numbness etc. Nothing worked to relieve it, incl. various supports. GP out of ideas. Couldn't follow my early choice of career as a result, and at age 35 had to turn down an absolute dream job at the National Theatre which I was head-hunted for, because of the RSI.

It was only when I was 40 - edit - just remembered that it was in fact 50! - that in a follow-up consultation for a successful neck op, the neurosurgeon said "anything else I can do for you?" & on the spur of the moment, I hesitatingly said "well I've had this problem with my wrists since I was a kid" - & he said "oh yes, I can easily sort that out for you" . Cue two carpal tunnel ops (one at a time) - instant 100% success & relief ever since. Life-changing. Thank you NHS & that surgeon!
[Post edited 9 Nov 2023 18:16]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

RSI on 09:20 - Nov 9 with 994 viewsgeg1992

RSI on 09:18 - Nov 9 by Ryorry

I had RSI in both wrists from age 12 approx (worked with horses, lifting heavy buckets of water etc) - same symptoms as yourself - pain, numbness etc. Nothing worked to relieve it, incl. various supports. GP out of ideas. Couldn't follow my early choice of career as a result, and at age 35 had to turn down an absolute dream job at the National Theatre which I was head-hunted for, because of the RSI.

It was only when I was 40 - edit - just remembered that it was in fact 50! - that in a follow-up consultation for a successful neck op, the neurosurgeon said "anything else I can do for you?" & on the spur of the moment, I hesitatingly said "well I've had this problem with my wrists since I was a kid" - & he said "oh yes, I can easily sort that out for you" . Cue two carpal tunnel ops (one at a time) - instant 100% success & relief ever since. Life-changing. Thank you NHS & that surgeon!
[Post edited 9 Nov 2023 18:16]

Ohh I'm so sorry to hear that you couldn't follow your dream!

Out of interest, would you mind if I ask what you had done to your neck? This is another area which has caused issues, I assume because of my slight scoliosis.

Glad to hear that you've got relief now! Seems to be a fairly simple operation these days. My concern is if its tendinitis, as that takes a lot longer to recover from.

RSI on 09:24 - Nov 9 with 977 viewsDanTheMan

A vertical / ergonomic mouse might help you out here.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

RSI on 09:27 - Nov 9 with 971 viewsgeg1992

RSI on 09:24 - Nov 9 by DanTheMan

Thanks - I'm actually bidding on one now! Tempted to try one with a tracking ball too, but not sure that would be great on the thumb, seems it would be like a PlayStation controller!

RSI on 09:30 - Nov 9 with 956 viewsRyorry

RSI on 09:20 - Nov 9 by geg1992

Ohh I'm so sorry to hear that you couldn't follow your dream!

Out of interest, would you mind if I ask what you had done to your neck? This is another area which has caused issues, I assume because of my slight scoliosis.

Glad to hear that you've got relief now! Seems to be a fairly simple operation these days. My concern is if its tendinitis, as that takes a lot longer to recover from.

I have congenital stenosis of the spine, added to which osteo-arthritic bone growth was in the process of completely closing the passage for my spinal cord - which would obvs have had very undesirable consequences! but it's not a condition which affects many people.

RSI on 09:33 - Nov 9 with 949 viewsRyorry

RSI on 09:24 - Nov 9 by DanTheMan

Or a trackpad? Only needs one or two fingertips, no wrist action required. I use nothing else these days.

RSI on 09:49 - Nov 9 with 920 viewsgeg1992

RSI on 09:30 - Nov 9 by Ryorry

I have congenital stenosis of the spine, added to which osteo-arthritic bone growth was in the process of completely closing the passage for my spinal cord - which would obvs have had very undesirable consequences! but it's not a condition which affects many people.

Wow, glad to hear the surgery was a success!

RSI on 16:07 - Nov 9 with 810 viewsgainsboroughblue

I suffer with this. My company uses the most un ergo friendly software imaginable. Applications that require constant repetitive drop down menus and clicking to proceed beyond pages and sections.

I takes me around 2 hours to do a mileage claim for month because you have change a default budget code and vehicle type. Why you can't have a 'change all' option in this day and age I don't know. Just click, after click after click and I have to take numerous breaks.

I have got a new, improved mouse which helps, though it does feel a little unnatural still.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Login to get fewer ads

RSI on 16:19 - Nov 9 with 787 viewshype313

Get some CBD Gel, works wonders

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

RSI on 18:08 - Nov 9 with 710 viewsRyorry

RSI on 16:07 - Nov 9 by gainsboroughblue

I suffer with this. My company uses the most un ergo friendly software imaginable. Applications that require constant repetitive drop down menus and clicking to proceed beyond pages and sections.

I takes me around 2 hours to do a mileage claim for month because you have change a default budget code and vehicle type. Why you can't have a 'change all' option in this day and age I don't know. Just click, after click after click and I have to take numerous breaks.

I have got a new, improved mouse which helps, though it does feel a little unnatural still.

I'd suggest trying to persuade your employers to get you a pooter or laptop which has a trackpad (or maybe touchscreen?). Or maybe buy your own & use that just for your monthly expenses?

I'm on my second Mac laptop, expensive but hardwearing apart from the keyboard letters rubbing their ID off after about 2 years. My first one lasted over 8 years & I've kept it going in case I need a sub - current one's an upgrade.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024