Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Médecins Sans Frontières 16:54 - Oct 12 with 3315 viewsDJR

I have for many years given a monthly donation to Médecins Sans Frontières because they do amazing work in awful situations.

Here is a link to their post a couple of days ago about Gaza. Since then the number of displaced persons has increased from 200,000 to more than 338,000.

https://msf.org.uk/article/gaza-situation-catastrophic-hospitals-are-overwhelmed
[Post edited 12 Oct 2023 17:00]
Médecins Sans Frontières on 17:02 - Oct 12 with 3243 viewsEireannach_gorm

Good shout, they are very even handed in assistance. They also seem to go where the Red Cross/Crescent don't. I donate to them annually instead of Christmas presents.
Médecins Sans Frontières on 17:08 - Oct 12 with 3210 viewsDJR

Médecins Sans Frontières on 17:02 - Oct 12 by Eireannach_gorm

Good shout, they are very even handed in assistance. They also seem to go where the Red Cross/Crescent don't. I donate to them annually instead of Christmas presents.

Yes, they are involved in places like the Ukraine, Sudan and Yemen which just goes to show how even handed they are.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2023 17:10]
Médecins Sans Frontières on 17:18 - Oct 12 with 3177 viewsbluelagos

Very nearly joined them a few years back (Offered a job but joined another Humanitarian agency for 12 months in West Africa) - was really impressed with them.

Also saw their work up close in Liberia. They refuse to take any funding from govts and rely absolutely on the general public for donations. Their international staff are there for the right reasons, I think the salary I was looking at was like £6k (in 2006) - no one is on a gravy train with MSF.

As an organisation they stick to the humanitarian issues, often being the last organisation to leave a war zone when other organisations have retreated to safety.

Huge admiration for the staff and for what they do. They started in the Biafran war in Nigeria when the West was complicit in starving millions of people.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Médecins Sans Frontières on 17:25 - Oct 12 with 3140 viewsnoggin

Same

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Médecins Sans Frontières on 17:39 - Oct 12 with 3100 viewsDJR

The following article indicates that Humza Yousaf's brother-in-law is a doctor, and the following passage from the article shows how tough it must be. Medics, aid workers and the like in such situations are real heroes.

"Nadia last spoke to her brother on Wednesday evening. “He’s working constant shifts, manages to get home for a few hours kip and then he’s straight back out the door,” Yousaf said.

“The things he has seen, no person should see. He’s been given the job of identifying the bodies for people. He says, ‘I’m trying to match body parts up, people that are decapitated, trying to match whose head goes with whose body’.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/oct/12/scottish-first-minister-humza-y
[Post edited 13 Oct 2023 8:25]
Médecins Sans Frontières on 22:41 - Oct 12 with 2802 viewsbuoyant

They are a magnificent and extremely powerful organisation. I spent 7 years volunteering with them and have lifelong friends across the globe. Like you continue to donate, I can vouch that unlike many major humanitarian organisations, over 80% of donations support teams directly in the field and they are a truly independent organisation meaning that the most vulnerable in any intervention are supported.

https://msf.org.uk/how-we-spend-your-money
[Post edited 12 Oct 2023 22:47]

UTT

Médecins Sans Frontières on 22:44 - Oct 12 with 2779 viewsbuoyant

True. Red Cross/Crescent have to be invited by the governing bodies. MSF as the name suggests lobby advocate or simply go in to gain access to the suffering populations.

UTT

Médecins Sans Frontières on 08:22 - Oct 13 with 2554 viewsDJR

Médecins Sans Frontières on 22:41 - Oct 12 by buoyant

They are a magnificent and extremely powerful organisation. I spent 7 years volunteering with them and have lifelong friends across the globe. Like you continue to donate, I can vouch that unlike many major humanitarian organisations, over 80% of donations support teams directly in the field and they are a truly independent organisation meaning that the most vulnerable in any intervention are supported.

I take my hat off to you. People like you, and not politicians or those from the fields of media, entertainment, business and sport, are the ones who should get honours, if there is to be such a system.

And sad to read that 23 aid workers have died so far in Gaza.
Login to get fewer ads

Médecins Sans Frontières on 20:25 - Oct 15 with 2171 viewsDJR

Here's the latest update from MSF. The video is worth watching in full.

Médecins Sans Frontières on 20:31 - Oct 15 with 2136 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Médecins Sans Frontières on 20:25 - Oct 15 by DJR

Here's the latest update from MSF. The video is worth watching in full.

...and yet, Government and opposition, we stand with Israel....seriously, f#ck them all.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Médecins Sans Frontières on 20:38 - Oct 15 with 2033 viewsDJR

Médecins Sans Frontières on 20:31 - Oct 15 by BanksterDebtSlave

...and yet, Government and opposition, we stand with Israel....seriously, f#ck them all.

This from the Guardian, as well as the news that 1,000 are missing under collapsed buildings, shows the real horrors that are occurring.

UNRWA, the UN’s agency supporting Palestinian refugees, said on Sunday that Israel’s deadly strikes on Gaza have led to an “unprecedented human catastrophe” as Gaza’s death toll rises to 2,670 with 9,600 injured.

Speaking to reporters, Philippe Lazzarini, commissioner general of UNRWA, said:

"Not one drop of water, not one grain of wheat, not a litre of fuel has been allowed in the Gaza Strip for the last eight days … Raise the alarm that as of today, my UNRWA colleagues in Gaza are no longer able to provide humanitarian assistance as I speak.

In fact, Gaza is being strangled and it seems the war right now has lost its humanity … If we look at the issue of water, we all know water is life and Gaza is running out of water and Gaza is running out of life."

And this is what Reuters is reporting.

US national security adviser Jake Sullivan told CNN on Sunday that Israeli officials told him they had turned the water back on in southern Gaza. But the spokesman for Israel’s energy and water ministry, Adir Dahan, said it was only flowing at a single location in southern Gaza. Aid workers in Gaza said they had not yet seen evidence the water was back and a Gaza government spokesperson said it was not flowing.
Médecins Sans Frontières on 20:46 - Oct 15 with 1998 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Médecins Sans Frontières on 20:38 - Oct 15 by DJR

This from the Guardian, as well as the news that 1,000 are missing under collapsed buildings, shows the real horrors that are occurring.

UNRWA, the UN’s agency supporting Palestinian refugees, said on Sunday that Israel’s deadly strikes on Gaza have led to an “unprecedented human catastrophe” as Gaza’s death toll rises to 2,670 with 9,600 injured.

Speaking to reporters, Philippe Lazzarini, commissioner general of UNRWA, said:

"Not one drop of water, not one grain of wheat, not a litre of fuel has been allowed in the Gaza Strip for the last eight days … Raise the alarm that as of today, my UNRWA colleagues in Gaza are no longer able to provide humanitarian assistance as I speak.

In fact, Gaza is being strangled and it seems the war right now has lost its humanity … If we look at the issue of water, we all know water is life and Gaza is running out of water and Gaza is running out of life."

And this is what Reuters is reporting.

US national security adviser Jake Sullivan told CNN on Sunday that Israeli officials told him they had turned the water back on in southern Gaza. But the spokesman for Israel’s energy and water ministry, Adir Dahan, said it was only flowing at a single location in southern Gaza. Aid workers in Gaza said they had not yet seen evidence the water was back and a Gaza government spokesperson said it was not flowing.

The Israeli state has missed a once in a generation chance to turn the other cheek and take the moral high ground....take out Hamas leaders with intelligence led strikes and not kill hostages with indiscriminate bombing. And the West has helped them to fail.

Edit.....and because of this the boundaries of this conflict are and will spread.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2023 20:47]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Médecins Sans Frontières on 21:07 - Oct 15 with 1948 viewsblueasfook

It means 'Medicines Without Borders" in English

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Médecins Sans Frontières on 21:12 - Oct 15 with 1936 viewsbuoyant

Médecins Sans Frontières on 21:07 - Oct 15 by blueasfook

It means 'Medicines Without Borders" in English

Doctors without borders

UTT

Médecins Sans Frontières on 21:13 - Oct 15 with 1921 viewsblueasfook

Médecins Sans Frontières on 21:12 - Oct 15 by buoyant

Doctors without borders

I'll get my coat

Médecins Sans Frontières on 21:15 - Oct 15 with 1915 viewsbuoyant

Médecins Sans Frontières on 21:13 - Oct 15 by blueasfook

I'll get my coat

You're forgiven

UTT

Médecins Sans Frontières on 21:15 - Oct 15 with 1908 viewsblueasfook

Médecins Sans Frontières on 21:15 - Oct 15 by buoyant

You're forgiven

Bloody French with their weird language

Médecins Sans Frontières on 21:31 - Oct 15 with 1865 viewsbuoyant

Médecins Sans Frontières on 21:15 - Oct 15 by blueasfook

Bloody French with their weird language

May wee, Rodders, may wee

UTT

Médecins Sans Frontières on 18:14 - Oct 24 with 1408 viewsEireannach_gorm

bump
Médecins Sans Frontières on 22:02 - Oct 24 with 1293 viewsDJR

Médecins Sans Frontières on 18:14 - Oct 24 by Eireannach_gorm

bump

Thanks for bumping: they could do with some donations, but whether the money would get through is another matter. But maybe it would help in Ukraine, Yemen or Syria, or the many other countries where they operate.

Here's the latest update from MSF on Gaza.

The situation in Gaza has been described by our teams as ‘horrific’ and ‘catastrophic’. Hospitals and clinics – the ones that are running – are overwhelmed and are barely functioning, running out of electricity and medical supplies. Surgeons in Al-Shifa hospital are now operating without painkillers.

A state of siege has been imposed by the Israeli government on Gaza, including the withholding of food, water, fuel and electricity. This is unconscionable. As a result of the blockage, Gaza's water shortage has now reached a critical threshold. People are drinking salty water.

The bombing of Gaza is relentless. People have been killed while forced to move to look for safety, including family members of our colleagues. People are trapped; those who wish to leave are unable to do so.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 22:06]
Médecins Sans Frontières on 07:22 - Oct 25 with 1190 viewsChalonerC

Médecins Sans Frontières on 22:41 - Oct 12 by buoyant

I spent 10 yrs of my life in humanitarian posts
and I worked alongside them in Kosovo, and they were the best international humanitarian agency. They remain so in numerous world wide conflict zones.
They deserve our support and I must now renew my annual sub!

OldGaffer

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024