Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An interesting perspective from an Israeli city with everything ground to a halt 11:57 - Oct 22 with 1198 viewsWeWereZombies

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/10/22/life-returns-to-an-israeli-desert-city

'Hamsa, a young Eritrean man who moved to Israel five years ago, laughs off the suggestion he could be scared by the rockets. “Where I have come from, this is nothing”, he said.'

If I had know about Beersheba six months ago I might have thought about it for some winter sunshine, but I've taken Tel Aviv off my weather forecast bookmarks now.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

An interesting perspective from an Israeli city with everything ground to a halt on 12:46 - Oct 22 with 1144 viewsRyorry

Yep, it's never been a one-way fight, just an eternal 2-way tit for tat. Needs grown up diplomacy, not "leaders" acting like toddlers who stopped mentally developing at 3 years old.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

An interesting perspective from an Israeli city with everything ground to a halt on 12:58 - Oct 22 with 1128 viewsDJR

More generally, it's really sad that many areas in the Middle East, the cradle of civilisation and of the three Abrahamic religions, are these days effectively out of bounds to all but the most intrepid of travellers.

Personally, there is nowhere I would wish to travel to more.
An interesting perspective from an Israeli city with everything ground to a halt on 15:13 - Oct 22 with 1051 viewsRyorry

An interesting perspective from an Israeli city with everything ground to a halt on 12:58 - Oct 22 by DJR

More generally, it's really sad that many areas in the Middle East, the cradle of civilisation and of the three Abrahamic religions, are these days effectively out of bounds to all but the most intrepid of travellers.

Personally, there is nowhere I would wish to travel to more.

Well, if you went to Rotherham on Friday evening ...

Poll: Time of the annunciation

An interesting perspective from an Israeli city with everything ground to a halt on 18:42 - Oct 22 with 896 viewsDJR

An interesting perspective from an Israeli city with everything ground to a halt on 15:13 - Oct 22 by Ryorry

Well, if you went to Rotherham on Friday evening ...

I've been to Pontefract on a Saturday evening and that was some experience.

I stayed there after dropping my son off at university last year in what looked like from the picture a nice old hotel.

When I got there, the owner looked pleased and said, "we've got a disco later in the evening". I then bumped into a fell guest who'd been thrown out by his wife earlier that day.

The room was on the first floor and stank, so I thought I'd have a look round the town as it is a market town.

Even at 5pm, people were dressed up to the nines, the pubs were full and music was blasting out into the streets.

As it was, the disco in the hotel didn't start until 10pm but went on to 3am, and I couldn't get a wink's sleep as the disco was heaving and there was no sound insulation. It didn't help that the queue to the local taxi rank was just below my window, with the inevitable noise that brought with it as drunk people ate take aways and like as they waited

I don't suppose Uruk in what was once ancient Mesopotamia could match that.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2023 18:55]
An interesting perspective from an Israeli city with everything ground to a halt on 19:37 - Oct 22 with 856 viewsWeWereZombies

An interesting perspective from an Israeli city with everything ground to a halt on 18:42 - Oct 22 by DJR

I stayed there after dropping my son off at university last year in what looked like from the picture a nice old hotel.

When I got there, the owner looked pleased and said, "we've got a disco later in the evening". I then bumped into a fell guest who'd been thrown out by his wife earlier that day.

The room was on the first floor and stank, so I thought I'd have a look round the town as it is a market town.

Even at 5pm, people were dressed up to the nines, the pubs were full and music was blasting out into the streets.

As it was, the disco in the hotel didn't start until 10pm but went on to 3am, and I couldn't get a wink's sleep as the disco was heaving and there was no sound insulation. It didn't help that the queue to the local taxi rank was just below my window, with the inevitable noise that brought with it as drunk people ate take aways and like as they waited

Ah, always pays to read the booking.com or Trip Adviser reviews first.

But commiserations, the place I stayed at in Dewsbury was quieter but had a bit of that vibe.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

An interesting perspective from an Israeli city with everything ground to a halt on 19:55 - Oct 22 with 832 viewsSwansea_Blue

An interesting perspective from an Israeli city with everything ground to a halt on 18:42 - Oct 22 by DJR

I’m all for going out at 5 pm, but then I’d be happy to finish by 8 . I do like my sleep. I’m not sure how I ever had the stamina to pull all-nighters.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

An interesting perspective from an Israeli city with everything ground to a halt on 22:00 - Oct 22 with 778 viewsDJR

An interesting perspective from an Israeli city with everything ground to a halt on 19:55 - Oct 22 by Swansea_Blue

I’m all for going out at 5 pm, but then I’d be happy to finish by 8 . I do like my sleep. I’m not sure how I ever had the stamina to pull all-nighters.

You and me both.
An interesting perspective from an Israeli city with everything ground to a halt on 22:03 - Oct 22 with 773 viewsDJR

An interesting perspective from an Israeli city with everything ground to a halt on 19:37 - Oct 22 by WeWereZombies

Ah, always pays to read the booking.com or Trip Adviser reviews first.

But commiserations, the place I stayed at in Dewsbury was quieter but had a bit of that vibe.

The reviews I looked at in advance weren't too bad. It was only when I looked at more of them, after I stayed, that I came across several saying "don't stay there on a Saturday" because that was disco night.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2023 22:03]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024