Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship 09:55 - Oct 12 with 3017 viewsKeno

to another?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67087840

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 09:57 - Oct 12 with 2699 viewsSwansea_Blue

If she quit because of a "toxic and bullying" culture in the SNP, she's really going to love the Tories!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 10:02 - Oct 12 with 2689 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

I always admired the Scots for breaking the Conslabourtive grip on their politics. English voters tend to back political parties like a religion or a football team, a cabinet minister from their respective beloved party could walk up to them and take a dump in their mouth, and they'd not only still vote for them, they would thank them for the privilege. It's definitely some sort of Stockholm syndrome at this point, and remember, it's always the other parties fault, even if your beloved Party have been in power over a decade, and you MUST vote for Labour or Conservatives, or the other will win, they are the only choice..... because you really don't want the other one to win, even though the only difference between them is the colour of the pamphlets coming through your door!

This is why England never gets better.
SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 10:06 - Oct 12 with 2676 viewsBlueBadger

I've no idea why one would jump from a group of petty nationalists who are deeply wed to isolationism, fantasy economics and the odd bit of naked corruption to the Tories.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2023 10:10]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 10:07 - Oct 12 with 2660 viewsWeWereZombies

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 10:02 - Oct 12 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

I always admired the Scots for breaking the Conslabourtive grip on their politics. English voters tend to back political parties like a religion or a football team, a cabinet minister from their respective beloved party could walk up to them and take a dump in their mouth, and they'd not only still vote for them, they would thank them for the privilege. It's definitely some sort of Stockholm syndrome at this point, and remember, it's always the other parties fault, even if your beloved Party have been in power over a decade, and you MUST vote for Labour or Conservatives, or the other will win, they are the only choice..... because you really don't want the other one to win, even though the only difference between them is the colour of the pamphlets coming through your door!

This is why England never gets better.

As someone who spent over fifty years living in England (and Ipswich born to boot) but has now been resident in Scotland for over ten years (and prefers living in Scotland) I still find your suggestion that the English cannot think for themselves grossly misleading. There are some wonderful parts of England (most of them with quite expensive housing it has to be said) and still a wealth of powerful and independent thinking in that nation.

None of this has much to do with the article Keno linked, but I suspect that you have not read it anyway.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 10:14 - Oct 12 with 2634 viewsKeno

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 10:07 - Oct 12 by WeWereZombies

As someone who spent over fifty years living in England (and Ipswich born to boot) but has now been resident in Scotland for over ten years (and prefers living in Scotland) I still find your suggestion that the English cannot think for themselves grossly misleading. There are some wonderful parts of England (most of them with quite expensive housing it has to be said) and still a wealth of powerful and independent thinking in that nation.

None of this has much to do with the article Keno linked, but I suspect that you have not read it anyway.

its almost as though hes fallen into his own Pavlovian trap

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 10:26 - Oct 12 with 2578 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 10:06 - Oct 12 by BlueBadger

I've no idea why one would jump from a group of petty nationalists who are deeply wed to isolationism, fantasy economics and the odd bit of naked corruption to the Tories.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2023 10:10]

She’ll be able to hit the ground running with prior experience of blaming domestic issues on foreigners…
SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 12:16 - Oct 12 with 2492 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 10:07 - Oct 12 by WeWereZombies

I read it, a petty politician jumping on the Conslabourtive ticket to try and suck up more gravy before being booted out. Good riddance I say.

The choice between Red Rishi or Sir Kier Tory is independent thinking? At least with Corbyn you could see a difference, it's a choice between two posh people in suits, with made up accents and personalities, saying whatever they need to get elected and then doing the bidding of big business party donors while in power, meanwhile the media tells the English voters to keep putting the big business place men in.

England will never change until we stop voting for those two groups. It's very simple, they are the establishment, if you dont like it vote against it, if you do, bloods on your hands not mine. Even mice can figure out a piece of cheese is hooked up to electric after the first time and stay clear, English voters however are lining up to back these idiots again, red, blue, remember its the last parties fault not ours, and don't vote for anyone else but us because the other ones may get in! Rinse, repeat and that's politics in England. Nobody thinks, they just do what they are told here.
SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 12:20 - Oct 12 with 2489 viewsWeWereZombies

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 12:16 - Oct 12 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

I read it, a petty politician jumping on the Conslabourtive ticket to try and suck up more gravy before being booted out. Good riddance I say.

The choice between Red Rishi or Sir Kier Tory is independent thinking? At least with Corbyn you could see a difference, it's a choice between two posh people in suits, with made up accents and personalities, saying whatever they need to get elected and then doing the bidding of big business party donors while in power, meanwhile the media tells the English voters to keep putting the big business place men in.

England will never change until we stop voting for those two groups. It's very simple, they are the establishment, if you dont like it vote against it, if you do, bloods on your hands not mine. Even mice can figure out a piece of cheese is hooked up to electric after the first time and stay clear, English voters however are lining up to back these idiots again, red, blue, remember its the last parties fault not ours, and don't vote for anyone else but us because the other ones may get in! Rinse, repeat and that's politics in England. Nobody thinks, they just do what they are told here.

If mice try the cheese hooked up to the electric for the first time then they are dead, and subsequent attempts are not an issue - not that I think that cheese is the greatest conductor of electricity. You would have to be putting sufficient wattage through it to get it smoking at least and that might just put the mice off.

However, which cheese conducts electricity best, Stilton or cheddar ?

Login to get fewer ads

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 13:17 - Oct 12 with 2414 viewsBlueBadger

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 12:16 - Oct 12 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

To be fair, the choice between Johnson and Corby was incompetent posh racist and slightly less posh but still incompetent racist.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2023 13:18]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 13:20 - Oct 12 with 2409 viewsGlasgowBlue

A good attack line for Labour to use. Vote SNP - get Tories.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 13:45 - Oct 12 with 2350 viewsKeno

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 13:20 - Oct 12 by GlasgowBlue

are you hinting it could be a Labour play?

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 13:53 - Oct 12 with 2324 viewsDJR

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 13:20 - Oct 12 by GlasgowBlue

My understanding is that in council elections, the SNP attack line is Vote Labour - Get a Labour/Tory coalition.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/may/26/scottish-labour-seizes-edinburgh

Indeed, this from the article suggests that in the event of a hung Scottish Parliament with the SNP the largest party, Labour might well go into coalition with Tories to thwart the SNP.

"The vote in Edinburgh has amplified a defining trend in Scottish politics, where political alliances are increasingly defined by a party’s stance on Scotland’s constitutional future."
[Post edited 12 Oct 2023 14:00]
SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 14:58 - Oct 12 with 2239 viewsArnoldMoorhen

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 13:53 - Oct 12 by DJR

My understanding is that in council elections, the SNP attack line is Vote Labour - Get a Labour/Tory coalition.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/may/26/scottish-labour-seizes-edinburgh

Indeed, this from the article suggests that in the event of a hung Scottish Parliament with the SNP the largest party, Labour might well go into coalition with Tories to thwart the SNP.

"The vote in Edinburgh has amplified a defining trend in Scottish politics, where political alliances are increasingly defined by a party’s stance on Scotland’s constitutional future."
[Post edited 12 Oct 2023 14:00]

Much more likely that Labour would allow the SNP to limp on as a lame duck minority Scottish Government than that they would countenance doing a deal with the Tories.

But no way that Scottish Labour will go into Coalition with the SNP, as things stand. A lot of bad blood between them.
SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 16:59 - Oct 12 with 2145 viewsMattinLondon

Why doesn’t this situation automatically trigger a by-election? Her constituents didn’t vote in a Tory MP but rather a SNP one instead.
SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 17:10 - Oct 12 with 2131 viewsDJR

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 16:59 - Oct 12 by MattinLondon

Why doesn’t this situation automatically trigger a by-election? Her constituents didn’t vote in a Tory MP but rather a SNP one instead.

Agreed, it's shocking really, and appears to be another example of an out of date constitution, if you can even call it that.
SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 17:24 - Oct 12 with 2109 viewsMattinLondon

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 17:10 - Oct 12 by DJR

Agreed, it's shocking really, and appears to be another example of an out of date constitution, if you can even call it that.

Even if Parliamentary Convention doesn’t demand it, it must surly be a matter of honour for a by-election to be called. Regardless of party, it’s just shameful that she continues as a Tory MP.
SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 17:31 - Oct 12 with 2099 viewsWeWereZombies

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 17:24 - Oct 12 by MattinLondon

Even if Parliamentary Convention doesn’t demand it, it must surly be a matter of honour for a by-election to be called. Regardless of party, it’s just shameful that she continues as a Tory MP.

'A matter of honour' - we're talking party politics here.

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 17:43 - Oct 12 with 2066 viewseireblue

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 09:57 - Oct 12 by Swansea_Blue

If she quit because of a "toxic and bullying" culture in the SNP, she's really going to love the Tories!

Maybe she wants to take her learnings and put them into practise.
SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 18:02 - Oct 12 with 2039 viewsMattinLondon

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 17:31 - Oct 12 by WeWereZombies

'A matter of honour' - we're talking party politics here.

Yeah - realised that. It’s just shameless, a way to rinse what she can from the Tories until she gets voted out at the next election.
SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 18:06 - Oct 12 with 2030 viewsPlums

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 14:58 - Oct 12 by ArnoldMoorhen

Much more likely that Labour would allow the SNP to limp on as a lame duck minority Scottish Government than that they would countenance doing a deal with the Tories.

But no way that Scottish Labour will go into Coalition with the SNP, as things stand. A lot of bad blood between them.

The SNP were known as the Tartan Tories for many years so it isn't a huge leap.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 18:21 - Oct 12 with 2011 viewsMattinLondon

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 18:06 - Oct 12 by Plums

The SNP were known as the Tartan Tories for many years so it isn't a huge leap.

Considering they moved to the centre-left in the late 80s, I’d say it’s a massive leap involving time travel.
SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 19:13 - Oct 12 with 1994 viewsGlasgowBlue

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 18:21 - Oct 12 by MattinLondon

Considering they moved to the centre-left in the late 80s, I’d say it’s a massive leap involving time travel.

Did you see who narrowly missed out on becoming leader of the SNP earlier this year. She held views that would make the most right wing Trump loving Republican blush. 40% of SNP members voted for her. It would be like the Tories voting for Rees Mogg to be leader.

If the SNP don’t improve in the polls anytime soon it will be her leading them into the next general election.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 20:55 - Oct 12 with 1914 viewsMattinLondon

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 19:13 - Oct 12 by GlasgowBlue

Did you see who narrowly missed out on becoming leader of the SNP earlier this year. She held views that would make the most right wing Trump loving Republican blush. 40% of SNP members voted for her. It would be like the Tories voting for Rees Mogg to be leader.

If the SNP don’t improve in the polls anytime soon it will be her leading them into the next general election.

Oh yeah - forgot about her.
SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 21:06 - Oct 12 with 1890 viewsDeepBlueSea

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 19:13 - Oct 12 by GlasgowBlue

I very much doubt that will be the case, though the SNP will almost certainly continue to struggle this year. If it were to happen it may not be a bad thing for the UK in general, and Scotland in particular, to have someone with views as out-of-touch as hers to be soundly defeated at an election.
SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 10:56 - Oct 13 with 1778 viewsArnoldMoorhen

SNP implosion continues, but why go from one sinking ship on 16:59 - Oct 12 by MattinLondon

Because in the UK we have representative democracy, and you are actually voting for the individual to be your representative.

It sticks in the craw a bit, of course, but, on balance, it is the acceptable price of allowing an MP freedom of conscience, which is more important.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024