Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bunch of nutters 14:04 - Aug 27 with 7048 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ulez-protest-tooting-broadway-sadiq-khan-

So many things wrong with this lot. People are up in arms about polluted air, about 4000 people dying a year due to pollution, then you bring something in to stop it and they're wailing that they can't drive to the shops now FFS.

Every argument in this piece is nonsensical.

“It is saying you are ‘OK to drive your polluting car if you give me £12.50’." - err, no, you're missing the point, the charge is to dissuade people from driving polluting cars.

“It is all about money, otherwise they would ban petrol and polluting cars." - LOL, you really would be up in arms if Khan said, "Ok then, we're banning petrol and polluting cars."

“You drive for your shopping to the nearest supermarket and to go about 150m down the road will now cost £12.50." - You're driving somewhere that's 150m away and you don't see a problem here?!

"We all want clean air for our children and generations, but you’ve gone in too far, too deep and it’s going to cost people’s lives and livelihoods." - you want clean air but you don't want it to impact YOU, basically. Pollution is literally costing people's lives. There is a scrapage scheme, which has been extended, to help not cost people's lives/livelihoods. Just exaggerated/emotive nonsense.

I have a mate who had asthma, who moved out of London to the seaside. Her asthma has completely cleared up.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Bunch of nutters on 15:27 - Aug 27 with 4361 viewsGuthrum

Quite a lot of cars are going to be exempt anyway. Mine is (according to the official site) and it's nothing especially green, petrol people-carrier type thing, just over a decade old.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Bunch of nutters on 15:39 - Aug 27 with 4317 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Bunch of nutters on 15:27 - Aug 27 by Guthrum

Quite a lot of cars are going to be exempt anyway. Mine is (according to the official site) and it's nothing especially green, petrol people-carrier type thing, just over a decade old.

Indeed. I think the Ulez serves the greater good/most people in the long run, even if it puts a few noses out of joint.

They say Khan needs to listen to the people but those who approve have nothing to shout about, so it's only the vocal minority who get the publicity (I'm assuming they're a minority, I don't actually know which is partly why I started this thread).

Again an assumption, but I'd imagine most Londoners who are parents would approve of Ulez and/or other pollution reducing measures.

Bunch of nutters on 18:39 - Aug 27 with 4151 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

You’re literally a tax everything politicians wet dream but after the utter nonsense you post on here over the years I’m hardly surprised. Go and test the air on the London Underground and get back to me.

So 4000 a year in a city on 10M huh? Completely unprovable when people have kinds of different lifestyles and put all sorts of nasty things in their body. You’ll be quoting “Professor” Ferguson or SAGE next.

And good for your friend, I’m sure all sorts of people that live close to the poverty line and work in certain trades etc have the ability to do the same.
Bunch of nutters on 19:01 - Aug 27 with 4107 viewsBlueBadger

Bunch of nutters on 18:39 - Aug 27 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

You’re literally a tax everything politicians wet dream but after the utter nonsense you post on here over the years I’m hardly surprised. Go and test the air on the London Underground and get back to me.

So 4000 a year in a city on 10M huh? Completely unprovable when people have kinds of different lifestyles and put all sorts of nasty things in their body. You’ll be quoting “Professor” Ferguson or SAGE next.

And good for your friend, I’m sure all sorts of people that live close to the poverty line and work in certain trades etc have the ability to do the same.

Oh, piss off with your 'we've had enough of experts' b0ll0cks, Trumpy.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Bunch of nutters on 19:03 - Aug 27 with 4092 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Bunch of nutters on 19:01 - Aug 27 by BlueBadger

Oh, piss off with your 'we've had enough of experts' b0ll0cks, Trumpy.

Oh GREAT comeback Badger you’re just so informed. Sorry they’re were all wrong for your BS though.

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/news/new-study-reveals-high-levels-of-pollution-on-london-
Bunch of nutters on 19:10 - Aug 27 with 4066 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

So many assumptions and so much nonsense (again) from you. Coming from the board's resident covid-player-downer (I won't go so far to say denier) that's quite something.

No idea what you mean about tax everything politicians. I just want to breathe unpolluted air, but yeah, put me in a box that says "happy to be taxed on everything". So lazy and so dumb.

Even if it's 1000 deaths, or 500, it's significant. Why would you immediately go to "it's unprovable so let's dismiss it"? Are you trying to suggest pollution from traffic in London is not responsible for any deaths/ill health? There are plenty of reports that it is, have you any that disprove them?

Your last point is just dumb, again. I've not remotely suggested people close to the poverty line can just move out, and as it happens she is most definitely not a wealthy person and actually moved out because she could no longer afford to live in London. But it's beside the point anyway, the point is her asthma has cleared up breathing clean air. Nothing more.

Bunch of nutters on 19:12 - Aug 27 with 4055 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Bunch of nutters on 19:03 - Aug 27 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Oh GREAT comeback Badger you’re just so informed. Sorry they’re were all wrong for your BS though.

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/news/new-study-reveals-high-levels-of-pollution-on-london-

What has the fact that there is pollution on the Underground got to do with traffic also causing pollution?!

Bunch of nutters on 19:14 - Aug 27 with 4052 viewsStokieBlue

There are a few things in here which you shouldn't be allowed to get away with unchallenged:

1). Can you please outline how quoting SAGE would be bad? If you're going to use them as a reference of something false then you should be able to back it up. I can only assume you're referring to their C19 modelling which was based on not taking action - action was taken hence it effects the numbers.

2). What does the air quality on the London Underground have to do with the ULEZ? They are totally separate things with different issues. Saying you can't try and tackle one because of another one is a fairly weird implementation of the Nirvana fallacy.

SB
[Post edited 27 Aug 2023 19:25]

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Login to get fewer ads

Bunch of nutters on 19:15 - Aug 27 with 4033 viewsMattinLondon

Bunch of nutters on 19:12 - Aug 27 by The_Flashing_Smile

What has the fact that there is pollution on the Underground got to do with traffic also causing pollution?!

Never underestimate the power of the whatabouty.
Bunch of nutters on 20:12 - Aug 27 with 3913 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Bunch of nutters on 19:14 - Aug 27 by StokieBlue

There are a few things in here which you shouldn't be allowed to get away with unchallenged:

1). Can you please outline how quoting SAGE would be bad? If you're going to use them as a reference of something false then you should be able to back it up. I can only assume you're referring to their C19 modelling which was based on not taking action - action was taken hence it effects the numbers.

2). What does the air quality on the London Underground have to do with the ULEZ? They are totally separate things with different issues. Saying you can't try and tackle one because of another one is a fairly weird implementation of the Nirvana fallacy.

SB
[Post edited 27 Aug 2023 19:25]

I see you edited your reply because you find me distasteful.

However, please feel free to go with you gut as well. As we are getting a bit more personal. I do find your entire board persona as some kind of all encompassing expert that back up the majorities moralist viewpoints as rather smarmy, virtuous and annoying. You come across as if you are aways educating someone, even if it is the field they're paid work in or the culture in the country they live.

1) SAGE were wrong multiple times. As an example. How about their modeling for Omicron during the festive period of 2021/22 for example when restrictions weren't put in place? You know my views on lockdown and restrictions later into the pandemic, you can have yours that's fine.

2) I would say it's rather relevant when 25% of the cities population are breathing air that is 15 times worse than street level daily. However, Khan has said it's safe and doesn't breach any rules. So now to protect air quality, the priority is implementing this that collect an estimated GBP200M. London has an incredible transport network, I certainly never owned a car when living there but if you true concern is peoples health and air quality this seem to raise an interesting debate as a viable alternative from a health perspective.

End of the day I am completely entitled to having a different viewpoint as others are to challenge it. I am not trying to "get away" with anything. As with most of my threads I try to avoid random newspaper article that usually have some ideological affiliation and put in studies, see travel restrictions etc for the other year.

As you can probably tell by now, I really don't care if I am not in line with the boards feelings on something. I am usually just about on the weekend mornings and talk footy but sometimes your crew might need to be challenged as well! Otherwise it's just endless Guardian confirmation bias threads.

Also for what it's worth, I have a lot of mates in the city that are very to the left that are anti ULEZ as well.

Happy Sunday.

COYB!
[Post edited 27 Aug 2023 20:17]
Bunch of nutters on 20:43 - Aug 27 with 3839 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Bunch of nutters on 20:12 - Aug 27 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

However, please feel free to go with you gut as well. As we are getting a bit more personal. I do find your entire board persona as some kind of all encompassing expert that back up the majorities moralist viewpoints as rather smarmy, virtuous and annoying. You come across as if you are aways educating someone, even if it is the field they're paid work in or the culture in the country they live.

1) SAGE were wrong multiple times. As an example. How about their modeling for Omicron during the festive period of 2021/22 for example when restrictions weren't put in place? You know my views on lockdown and restrictions later into the pandemic, you can have yours that's fine.

2) I would say it's rather relevant when 25% of the cities population are breathing air that is 15 times worse than street level daily. However, Khan has said it's safe and doesn't breach any rules. So now to protect air quality, the priority is implementing this that collect an estimated GBP200M. London has an incredible transport network, I certainly never owned a car when living there but if you true concern is peoples health and air quality this seem to raise an interesting debate as a viable alternative from a health perspective.

End of the day I am completely entitled to having a different viewpoint as others are to challenge it. I am not trying to "get away" with anything. As with most of my threads I try to avoid random newspaper article that usually have some ideological affiliation and put in studies, see travel restrictions etc for the other year.

As you can probably tell by now, I really don't care if I am not in line with the boards feelings on something. I am usually just about on the weekend mornings and talk footy but sometimes your crew might need to be challenged as well! Otherwise it's just endless Guardian confirmation bias threads.

Also for what it's worth, I have a lot of mates in the city that are very to the left that are anti ULEZ as well.

Happy Sunday.

COYB!

No citations, no evidence, no studies, no nothing. Just drivel.

Bunch of nutters on 20:48 - Aug 27 with 3814 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Bunch of nutters on 20:43 - Aug 27 by The_Flashing_Smile

No citations, no evidence, no studies, no nothing. Just drivel.

Already provided a study for the second one go ahead and look up the first one.
Bunch of nutters on 21:20 - Aug 27 with 3749 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Bunch of nutters on 20:48 - Aug 27 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Already provided a study for the second one go ahead and look up the first one.

I can't see any links to anything in this post (your previous link to a report that says there's pollution on the Underground is, as I and others have said, irrelevant to this thread).

I'm not going to do your work for you. If there is evidence that traffic pollution doesn't harm anyone, feel free to post it.

Bunch of nutters on 21:40 - Aug 27 with 3719 viewsStokieBlue

Bunch of nutters on 20:12 - Aug 27 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Happy Sunday.

COYB!

Well after about 2 minutes I felt there was no need to get personal so I removed it. Interesting that you felt the need to launch into a personal attack an hour later and one which was much more prolonged than anything I wrote.

Furthermore I would point out that the first person to get personal in this thread was you in your first response to Dolly where you jumped straight in with an attack on him.

I'll not respond to your points as you've made it clear that you don't want or respect my opinion so it would be a waste of both our times.

I will echo the sentiments of your final line, COYB.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Bunch of nutters on 21:46 - Aug 27 with 3708 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Bunch of nutters on 21:20 - Aug 27 by The_Flashing_Smile

I can't see any links to anything in this post (your previous link to a report that says there's pollution on the Underground is, as I and others have said, irrelevant to this thread).

I'm not going to do your work for you. If there is evidence that traffic pollution doesn't harm anyone, feel free to post it.

As you have are not reading anything and coming back with points and just saying it's drivel I guess I will repeat it for you.

How is it irreverent if your viable alternative from getting to A to B is breathing air that is 15 times worse than above street level? This is about your health and breathing clean air isn't it?

RE: Omicron - In December 2021 Sage predicted between 600 - 6000 deaths a day if the government didn't immediately introduce tough restrictions. A rather nice margin for error that created alarmist headlines but not even the bottom number occurred. Not even close.

https://www.independentsage.org/emergency-statement-on-omicron-15-december-2021/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/18/uk-scientists-curbs-covid-infectio

A simple search suggests the daily average in Jan 2022 never got above 250.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

Hope this helps.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2023 22:03]
Bunch of nutters on 22:02 - Aug 27 with 3684 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Bunch of nutters on 21:40 - Aug 27 by StokieBlue

Well after about 2 minutes I felt there was no need to get personal so I removed it. Interesting that you felt the need to launch into a personal attack an hour later and one which was much more prolonged than anything I wrote.

Furthermore I would point out that the first person to get personal in this thread was you in your first response to Dolly where you jumped straight in with an attack on him.

I'll not respond to your points as you've made it clear that you don't want or respect my opinion so it would be a waste of both our times.

I will echo the sentiments of your final line, COYB.

SB

Fair enough. I don't really have a problem with anyones opinions. I am free to call others thoughts rubbish (especially those that have got personal to me in the past), just as they are and often do to me.

Seemed a good time to let you know how I think you can sometimes come over on here, after I had already read what you had typed. I think when it pertains to certain issues that have clearly been emotive subjects over the last 2-3 years, people can understandably get quite passionate.

Happy to avoid moving forwards. As I say mainly come on to talk sports during the weekends and that seems a more productive use our time. We all have at least have one common interest.

Cheers.
Bunch of nutters on 22:17 - Aug 27 with 3635 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Bunch of nutters on 15:27 - Aug 27 by Guthrum

The key word there is petrol. ULEZ is an attempt to get rid of older diesel cars that were manufactured before a more stringent Euro standard was introduced for diesel vehicle emissions.

My diesel, which I bought in 2015 because it had very good mpg and my wife was just starting a job with lots of regional driving, was registered in July 2015. Only diesel cars registered after September 2015 will be allowed in the Scottish LEZs without penalty.

Gutted, but I can see the greater good here, and will just suck it up.
Bunch of nutters on 22:56 - Aug 27 with 3560 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Bunch of nutters on 21:46 - Aug 27 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

As you have are not reading anything and coming back with points and just saying it's drivel I guess I will repeat it for you.

How is it irreverent if your viable alternative from getting to A to B is breathing air that is 15 times worse than above street level? This is about your health and breathing clean air isn't it?

RE: Omicron - In December 2021 Sage predicted between 600 - 6000 deaths a day if the government didn't immediately introduce tough restrictions. A rather nice margin for error that created alarmist headlines but not even the bottom number occurred. Not even close.

https://www.independentsage.org/emergency-statement-on-omicron-15-december-2021/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/18/uk-scientists-curbs-covid-infectio

A simple search suggests the daily average in Jan 2022 never got above 250.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

Hope this helps.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2023 22:03]

There are loads of ways to get around London other than the Tube. It's not just Tube or old polluting cars. And even if they were the only options, it's still whatabouterry. The fact that tube air isn't great doesn't make polluting cars fine. Your logic's all over the place.

I haven't made any comment on SAGE, you brought it up so you could attack it.

I've read your first sentence 3 times and I still don't have a clue.

No, none of your posts help.
Cheers.

Bunch of nutters on 22:59 - Aug 27 with 3540 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Bunch of nutters on 22:17 - Aug 27 by ArnoldMoorhen

The key word there is petrol. ULEZ is an attempt to get rid of older diesel cars that were manufactured before a more stringent Euro standard was introduced for diesel vehicle emissions.

My diesel, which I bought in 2015 because it had very good mpg and my wife was just starting a job with lots of regional driving, was registered in July 2015. Only diesel cars registered after September 2015 will be allowed in the Scottish LEZs without penalty.

Gutted, but I can see the greater good here, and will just suck it up.

Blood Europe, coming over here improving our air.

Bunch of nutters on 07:42 - Aug 28 with 3263 viewsDJR

Bunch of nutters on 19:03 - Aug 27 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

That's rather alarming, and makes me glad I rarely travel on the underground, and rarely did so when I lived in south east London, which has no tube network.

Perhaps it points to the need for regular commuters to use non-medical FFP3/N99 masks which filter out fine particulates.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2023 7:45]
Bunch of nutters on 08:20 - Aug 28 with 3216 viewsChurchman

Bunch of nutters on 07:42 - Aug 28 by DJR

That's rather alarming, and makes me glad I rarely travel on the underground, and rarely did so when I lived in south east London, which has no tube network.

Perhaps it points to the need for regular commuters to use non-medical FFP3/N99 masks which filter out fine particulates.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2023 7:45]

Living in the south east and working in London for a good chunk of my career, I had cause to use the Underground a fair amount over the years, but certainly not every day. I always walked when I could, more as a preference and to avoid being jammed on it with 1000s of others. Never liked that.

It’s a fantastic bit of kit though and I’m sure they’ll devise ways of improving the ventilation over time. Secrets of the London Underground is a great programme too.

With regard to ULEZ, I cannot comment on whether it’s been widened to raise more money for Khan or genuine pollution issues. I’ve not read enough about it or seen the evidence either way so cannot comment other than to say improving air quality has to obviously be a good thing.

What I can say is that I do know south London very well, particularly the outer London boroughs and they are not served well by public transport and there’s no tube network. But the biggest issue to me is the 20mph speed limit. It’s virtually impossible on some roads to keep to that and given the forest of cameras that accompany it, that’s where my suspicions lie.

I’ve one experience of driving in the old ULEZ zone. Around the Forest Hill/Crystal Palace/Denmark Hill area. Nightmare. Nose to tail traffic, cameras everywhere, roadworks, cycle lanes, bus lanes. A journey time that tripled roughly on what it used to be when I was driving in the area every day, engine running the whole time.

Never again. If the max speed is 30mph for the outer boroughs, ok but either way, living just outside the zone despite having compliant cars I’ll avoid it and the retail places I used to use in it as much as I possibly can.

I noticed that Portsmouth has its own zone now but with that it just fines older ‘non compliant’ cars. I suspect these zones will appear in most towns and cities. Again, that’s ok as long as you have a transport network that works. Mrs C was in Manchester last week and apparently they do and it’s excellent. Obviously subsidised and invested in, maybe that’s the way to do it.
Bunch of nutters on 08:32 - Aug 28 with 3171 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Bunch of nutters on 08:20 - Aug 28 by Churchman

Living in the south east and working in London for a good chunk of my career, I had cause to use the Underground a fair amount over the years, but certainly not every day. I always walked when I could, more as a preference and to avoid being jammed on it with 1000s of others. Never liked that.

It’s a fantastic bit of kit though and I’m sure they’ll devise ways of improving the ventilation over time. Secrets of the London Underground is a great programme too.

With regard to ULEZ, I cannot comment on whether it’s been widened to raise more money for Khan or genuine pollution issues. I’ve not read enough about it or seen the evidence either way so cannot comment other than to say improving air quality has to obviously be a good thing.

What I can say is that I do know south London very well, particularly the outer London boroughs and they are not served well by public transport and there’s no tube network. But the biggest issue to me is the 20mph speed limit. It’s virtually impossible on some roads to keep to that and given the forest of cameras that accompany it, that’s where my suspicions lie.

I’ve one experience of driving in the old ULEZ zone. Around the Forest Hill/Crystal Palace/Denmark Hill area. Nightmare. Nose to tail traffic, cameras everywhere, roadworks, cycle lanes, bus lanes. A journey time that tripled roughly on what it used to be when I was driving in the area every day, engine running the whole time.

Never again. If the max speed is 30mph for the outer boroughs, ok but either way, living just outside the zone despite having compliant cars I’ll avoid it and the retail places I used to use in it as much as I possibly can.

I noticed that Portsmouth has its own zone now but with that it just fines older ‘non compliant’ cars. I suspect these zones will appear in most towns and cities. Again, that’s ok as long as you have a transport network that works. Mrs C was in Manchester last week and apparently they do and it’s excellent. Obviously subsidised and invested in, maybe that’s the way to do it.

I live in Crystal Palace and rarely have any traffic problems, maybe it was to do with the time of day you were driving? I don't have any issues keeping to 20mph where there are cameras either.

The transport network's great where I am with the choice of a train from Norwood Junction (20 mins to London Bridge) or Crystal Palace (Overground) both within walking distance. Loads of buses.

Bunch of nutters on 09:04 - Aug 28 with 3112 viewsDJR

Bunch of nutters on 08:20 - Aug 28 by Churchman

There are 20 mph zones where I live on roads which are what I would regards as main roads, rather than side streets, and I must admit I find it difficult to drive that slowly on such roads. That being the case, I have wondered if 25 mph would be more appropriate.
Bunch of nutters on 09:14 - Aug 28 with 3069 viewsChurchman

Bunch of nutters on 08:32 - Aug 28 by The_Flashing_Smile

I live in Crystal Palace and rarely have any traffic problems, maybe it was to do with the time of day you were driving? I don't have any issues keeping to 20mph where there are cameras either.

The transport network's great where I am with the choice of a train from Norwood Junction (20 mins to London Bridge) or Crystal Palace (Overground) both within walking distance. Loads of buses.

Maybe. I was careful to say my one experience for that reason. It’s an area I know well, having worked in Bromley, Wandsworth, Peckham, Elephant etc etc years ago.

My view was very much a subjective one.
Bunch of nutters on 09:35 - Aug 28 with 3032 viewsDJR

Bunch of nutters on 09:14 - Aug 28 by Churchman

Maybe. I was careful to say my one experience for that reason. It’s an area I know well, having worked in Bromley, Wandsworth, Peckham, Elephant etc etc years ago.

My view was very much a subjective one.

I know Peckham and Elephant very well, having driven through them daily on my way from East Dulwich to a parking space on Horse Guards Parade in the days when such things were acceptable.

And talking about central London parking spaces, before the IRA mortar attack on Downing Street in 1991, it used to be possible to park for free on a Saturday evening in King Charles Street between the FCO and the Treasury, something that few people knew about because the road is a dead end. That was very handy if going to the theatre or cinema.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2023 9:37]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024