Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? 19:16 - Jul 9 with 3675 viewsKeno

If def bring Foakes in as a keeper, bowlers will pose some questions?

Crawley
Bairstow
Ali
Root
Brook
Stokes
Foakes
Woakes
Wood
Broad
Anderson

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 19:25 - Jul 9 with 2472 viewsEddyJ

Not sure what Duckett's done to be excluded from your team. Test average of 45 as an opener and scores of 182, 98 and 83 in his past 4 tests.

My team as follows.

Crawley retained for lack of any other options. Revisit his position after the series. Dropping Ali as he is poor as both bowler and batsman. Spin has barely featured in the series and Australia without Lyon, so would have not advantage in us not playing a front-line spinner. Moving Root to #3 as he can play there and it helps to fit in our powerful middle order. Bairstow retained as a pure batsman with Foakes taking the gloves. Woakes and Wood both did enough to be retained. Broad has been our most consistent bowler throughout the series. Anderson given the test as a swansong (last Old Trafford Ashes for him).

Duckett
Crawley
Root
Brook
Bairstow
Stokes
Foakes
Woakes
Wood
Broad
Anderson
You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 19:29 - Jul 9 with 2445 viewspointofblue

Crawley
Duckett
Ali
Root
Brook
Stokes
Foakes
Woakes
Wood
Broad
Tongue

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 19:32 - Jul 9 with 2432 viewsKeno

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 19:25 - Jul 9 by EddyJ

Not sure what Duckett's done to be excluded from your team. Test average of 45 as an opener and scores of 182, 98 and 83 in his past 4 tests.

My team as follows.

Crawley retained for lack of any other options. Revisit his position after the series. Dropping Ali as he is poor as both bowler and batsman. Spin has barely featured in the series and Australia without Lyon, so would have not advantage in us not playing a front-line spinner. Moving Root to #3 as he can play there and it helps to fit in our powerful middle order. Bairstow retained as a pure batsman with Foakes taking the gloves. Woakes and Wood both did enough to be retained. Broad has been our most consistent bowler throughout the series. Anderson given the test as a swansong (last Old Trafford Ashes for him).

Duckett
Crawley
Root
Brook
Bairstow
Stokes
Foakes
Woakes
Wood
Broad
Anderson

Ducket hasn’t done anything per se, was just trying to juggle things to get Foakes in

OT takes spin and “poor bowler” Ali has over 200 test wickets and is englands 3rd leading spin bowler

Going to be an interesting selection

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 19:34 - Jul 9 with 2418 viewsredrickstuhaart

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 19:32 - Jul 9 by Keno

Ducket hasn’t done anything per se, was just trying to juggle things to get Foakes in

OT takes spin and “poor bowler” Ali has over 200 test wickets and is englands 3rd leading spin bowler

The problem is Stokes injury which means that going in with 3 seamers is not an option. No proper all roudner makes it hard to get a spinner in.

Much depends on the OT pitch.

There is no way Bairstow should keep his place as a keeper batsman though. He has been poor at both. Proper batsman or not at all.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2023 19:34]
You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 19:45 - Jul 9 with 2395 viewsgainsboroughblue

Crawley
Duckett
Bairstow
Root
Brook
Stokes
Foakes
Woakes
Broad
Wood
Tongue

Hit 'em with pace. They don't like it. Of course, there will be calls for Anderson at OT but now is not the time for sentiment and he has been off the pace this series. I'm assuming Robinson is unfit and also assuming Broad will play given we now have a bit of respite, knowing he hasn't been 'rotated' yet.

I'd like Foakes in as keeper, freeing up Bairstow to go in at 3 and concentrate solely on batting. Spin has not been massively used and Root is there if needed. It's not an ideal scenario to go in without a frontline spinner but you can only name 11 men.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 19:51 - Jul 9 with 2376 viewsbournemouthblue

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 19:45 - Jul 9 by gainsboroughblue

Crawley
Duckett
Bairstow
Root
Brook
Stokes
Foakes
Woakes
Broad
Wood
Tongue

Hit 'em with pace. They don't like it. Of course, there will be calls for Anderson at OT but now is not the time for sentiment and he has been off the pace this series. I'm assuming Robinson is unfit and also assuming Broad will play given we now have a bit of respite, knowing he hasn't been 'rotated' yet.

I'd like Foakes in as keeper, freeing up Bairstow to go in at 3 and concentrate solely on batting. Spin has not been massively used and Root is there if needed. It's not an ideal scenario to go in without a frontline spinner but you can only name 11 men.

The problem with Bairstow for me is he has got no real runs in the series, let alone his poor keeping

Not that anyone has torn it up at three either

Tongue needs to come in and we can have the pace of Tongue and Wood on the fast bouncy Old Trafford track

They'll probably want Jimmy to play one last game there but he's looked well off the pace, so far
[Post edited 9 Jul 2023 21:42]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 19:53 - Jul 9 with 2365 viewsFtnfwest

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 19:51 - Jul 9 by bournemouthblue

The problem with Bairstow for me is he has got no real runs in the series, let alone his poor keeping

Not that anyone has torn it up at three either

Tongue needs to come in and we can have the pace of Tongue and Wood on the fast bouncy Old Trafford track

They'll probably want Jimmy to play one last game there but he's looked well off the pace, so far
[Post edited 9 Jul 2023 21:42]

Unleash bairstow without the gloves as per last year
You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 19:55 - Jul 9 with 2349 viewsFtnfwest

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 19:45 - Jul 9 by gainsboroughblue

Crawley
Duckett
Bairstow
Root
Brook
Stokes
Foakes
Woakes
Broad
Wood
Tongue

OT usually spins so I’d have moeen for one of the seamers, probably tongue, but he’d have a shout for the oval then in place of wood who I doubt would make it
Login to get fewer ads

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 19:56 - Jul 9 with 2343 viewsEddyJ

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 19:32 - Jul 9 by Keno

Over 200 test wickets...

... at an average of 37.

Ali's wickets come from longevity, rather than quality, in an era when England play more tests than they did in the past. There have been no standout spinners in the county game, so Ali's alleged batting prowess has got him the place.

All English spinners have poor averages, because the pitches here don't favour them. Even Swann's average was 30. The role of a spinner in England is to hold up an end while you rest the quicks. Moeen struggles to do this. He tends to be expensive, and gets hit out of the attack. So he has both a poor average and he fails to hold up an end. I don't see what he offers that Root doesn't.

Comparing England's frontline spinners since 2000, only Swann stands out as being true quality.

Tufnell - 42 matches, 121 wickets @ 38
Giles - 54 matches, 143 wickets @ 41
Swann - 60 matches, 255 wickets @ 30
Panesar - 50 matches, 167 wickets @35
Ali - 66 matches, 200 wickets @37
Leach - 35 matches, 124 wickets @34
You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 20:09 - Jul 9 with 2303 viewsKeno

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 19:56 - Jul 9 by EddyJ

Over 200 test wickets...

... at an average of 37.

Ali's wickets come from longevity, rather than quality, in an era when England play more tests than they did in the past. There have been no standout spinners in the county game, so Ali's alleged batting prowess has got him the place.

All English spinners have poor averages, because the pitches here don't favour them. Even Swann's average was 30. The role of a spinner in England is to hold up an end while you rest the quicks. Moeen struggles to do this. He tends to be expensive, and gets hit out of the attack. So he has both a poor average and he fails to hold up an end. I don't see what he offers that Root doesn't.

Comparing England's frontline spinners since 2000, only Swann stands out as being true quality.

We really do have a real lack of decent spinners don’t we!

Be interesting to see how Ahmed develops

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 20:11 - Jul 9 with 2288 viewsEddyJ

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 20:09 - Jul 9 by Keno

We really do have a real lack of decent spinners don’t we!

Be interesting to see how Ahmed develops

If we were to lose the next test, I'd throw Ahmed in for the final test to give him a taste.

We know the county game doesn't develop spinners, so if we want someone good, we have to use him in the national team.
You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 20:13 - Jul 9 with 2273 viewsKeno

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 20:11 - Jul 9 by EddyJ

If we were to lose the next test, I'd throw Ahmed in for the final test to give him a taste.

We know the county game doesn't develop spinners, so if we want someone good, we have to use him in the national team.

That’s a good call.

Have you read Warnes last book? His comments on English county cricket are fairly brutal

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? (n/t) on 20:51 - Jul 9 with 2220 viewsRadlett_blue

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 19:56 - Jul 9 by EddyJ

Over 200 test wickets...

... at an average of 37.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? (n/t) on 20:51 - Jul 9 with 2219 viewsRadlett_blue

Over 200 test wickets...

... at an average of 37.

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? (n/t) on 20:51 - Jul 9 with 2219 viewsRadlett_blue

Over 200 test wickets...

... at an average of 37.

Spot on. English cricket doesn't develop decent spinners, for a variety of well documented reasons. Moeen Ali became England's spinner by accident - he regarded himself as a batsman who could bowl a bit. He's taken a fair few wickets in England, but isn't the type of bowler to keep an end quiet & has a poor record overseas. He only gets in the team because he can bat but he's made 63 runs from 4 innings in this series & the Aussies know how to bounce him out. He shouldn't be in the team - Root is a reasonable spin bowler. I'd have Foakes as WK & Bairstow as a batter. However, jonny will keep the gloves as he's a big mte of Stokes. Tongue should come in for robinson on a fast pitch, but I'm sure the past it Anderson will get the nod.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2023 20:59]

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 21:04 - Jul 9 with 2191 viewsBasingstokeBlue

s/You are/If you were/

I'm definitely not an England Test Selector. (nor, I imagine, are many others reading your post).

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 21:10 - Jul 9 with 2181 viewsBlueForYou

Crawley
Duckett
Root
Brook
Bairstow
Stokes
Foakes
Woakes
Wood
Broad
Tongue

Must have a proper WKR. Weather in the NW not looking good so spinner won't be needed, but Dawson plays if needed. That XI will be very competitive. Moeen Ali at three? You're having a laugh, he's not even a Test eight!
You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 21:12 - Jul 9 with 2172 viewsKeno

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 21:04 - Jul 9 by BasingstokeBlue

s/You are/If you were/

I'm definitely not an England Test Selector. (nor, I imagine, are many others reading your post).

So much for trying to fit it in the title line!

Tough crowd tonight

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 21:26 - Jul 9 with 2134 viewsMookamoo

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 20:11 - Jul 9 by EddyJ

I'm not sure dropping Ahmed into a game where the pressure is off the Aussies and they can just go and just have fun is a good idea. They'll hit him all over the place.

We've asked Mooen to put aside all his indifferences for test cricket and play in this series. Let him play what will probably be his last lest match on his terms
You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 21:28 - Jul 9 with 2130 viewsEddyJ

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 21:12 - Jul 9 by Keno

So much for trying to fit it in the title line!

Tough crowd tonight

As a bit of extra crude* analysis about "holding an end", here are average overs bowled per match for each spinner.

Tufnell - 45
Giles - 38
Swann - 43
Panesar - 42
Ali - 31
Leach - 40

* Ali played some tests early in his career as a pure batsman?
You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 21:37 - Jul 9 with 2106 viewsBlueForYou

Can’t just gift a place to Anderson as it’s his home ground. He hasn’t earned the right in the two games he’s played. This is the Ashes not a benefit match. Tongue or Potts deserve a place & will be far more dangerous. Broad however has kept it going & taken wickets. Old Trafford is a huge must win game. We cannot afford any passengers, but I suspect McCullum will pick his mates again.
You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 21:43 - Jul 9 with 2080 viewsKeno

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 21:28 - Jul 9 by EddyJ

As a bit of extra crude* analysis about "holding an end", here are average overs bowled per match for each spinner.

Tufnell - 45
Giles - 38
Swann - 43
Panesar - 42
Ali - 31
Leach - 40

Ali was very much a batsman who bowled a bit, but has morphed in a bit of a bowler who bats a bit

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? (n/t) on 21:44 - Jul 9 with 2078 viewsbournemouthblue

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? (n/t) on 20:51 - Jul 9 by Radlett_blue

Spot on. English cricket doesn't develop decent spinners, for a variety of well documented reasons. Moeen Ali became England's spinner by accident - he regarded himself as a batsman who could bowl a bit. He's taken a fair few wickets in England, but isn't the type of bowler to keep an end quiet & has a poor record overseas. He only gets in the team because he can bat but he's made 63 runs from 4 innings in this series & the Aussies know how to bounce him out. He shouldn't be in the team - Root is a reasonable spin bowler. I'd have Foakes as WK & Bairstow as a batter. However, jonny will keep the gloves as he's a big mte of Stokes. Tongue should come in for robinson on a fast pitch, but I'm sure the past it Anderson will get the nod.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2023 20:59]

The option no one is considering is Broad getting a rest, he's played 4 games now, including the Ireland one

Robinson has a knock and hasn't looked overly fit, it could easily be Anderson and Tongue coming in

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 07:59 - Jul 10 with 1764 viewsNthQldITFC

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 21:28 - Jul 9 by EddyJ

Tufnell - 45
Giles - 38
Swann - 43
Panesar - 42
Ali - 31
Leach - 40

I was trying to find the 'crude' bits about 'holding an end' there, and then I realised that it was just my dirty mind. As usual. Apologies. Mind you Aggers and Tuffers would have played the same shot, I rather fancy.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 08:30 - Jul 10 with 1717 viewsHerbivore

You are an England Test Selector, what your team for the next test? on 21:10 - Jul 9 by BlueForYou

Crawley
Duckett
Root
Brook
Bairstow
Stokes
Foakes
Woakes
Wood
Broad
Tongue

Must have a proper WKR. Weather in the NW not looking good so spinner won't be needed, but Dawson plays if needed. That XI will be very competitive. Moeen Ali at three? You're having a laugh, he's not even a Test eight!

Ali averages nearly 30 with the bat at test level. He's not a number three and nobody would suggest that would be a permanent home for him, but to suggest he's not even a test number 8 is ridiculous. A lot of Beard haters on this thread. He's come back in at the last minute after a long spell out and he picked up a couple of important wickets at Headingley. For me we look unbalanced without a spinner and whilst Root is fine for a few overs, he's not a genuine bowler and can't be expected to be our main spinner.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024