Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Golfing Blues 09:30 - Jul 9 with 1265 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Thinking about taking Golf up. Probably 30 years since I last played.
But I have a dodgy back these days.

Good for my back or an absolute non-starter?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Golfing Blues on 09:45 - Jul 9 with 1217 viewsBugs

Depends.

I have lower back pain quite often, and other back pain intermittently. Golf doesn't really effect this most of the time, either way. But I also don't try and get 115 mph club head speed with every shot.

That's not to say you won't have aches and pains from using muscles you don't normally use the first few times you play.

It's actually the walking that effects my aches and pains more than the golf its self. But then I could do with loosing a stone or two.
Golfing Blues on 10:55 - Jul 9 with 1161 viewsstrikalite

Go up the range, hit some balls, see how you feel, don't just thrash one ball after another which I see all the time...60 balls should last you an hour, ideally have a few lessons, stretching is vital too, make that part of your routine, pitch and putt is probably right now where you need to start again..
Not sure what sort of level you are/ were CB, but you'll soon know a bit more after hitting balls down the range as to where your back is with it..
Golfing Blues on 11:54 - Jul 9 with 1118 viewsIllinoisblue

Know your limitations. Older = less power. I play a couple times a week with my 13-year-old and the little s5it regularly out-drives me. I can putt somewhat decently but the rest of my game is deteriorating… gonna need some lessons again.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Golfing Blues on 15:01 - Jul 9 with 1033 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

It's a great game, and good for getting decent exercise as you progress through later years. A friend had two vertebrae fused together last year, but after 3 months he was playing golf again.

Poll: would you rather

Golfing Blues on 16:49 - Jul 9 with 974 viewsthe_toff

Golfing Blues on 10:55 - Jul 9 by strikalite

Go up the range, hit some balls, see how you feel, don't just thrash one ball after another which I see all the time...60 balls should last you an hour, ideally have a few lessons, stretching is vital too, make that part of your routine, pitch and putt is probably right now where you need to start again..
Not sure what sort of level you are/ were CB, but you'll soon know a bit more after hitting balls down the range as to where your back is with it..

I don’t think I’ve ever taken 60 minutes to hit 60 balls at the range. I’m sure you’re probably right, but the temptation is to hit them much quicker. I hit 80 in about 40 minutes.
Golfing Blues on 17:17 - Jul 9 with 945 viewsRozz

Golfing Blues on 16:49 - Jul 9 by the_toff

I don’t think I’ve ever taken 60 minutes to hit 60 balls at the range. I’m sure you’re probably right, but the temptation is to hit them much quicker. I hit 80 in about 40 minutes.

I am absolutely horrific for hitting balls at pace. I normally hit 2 buckets of 90 balls in an hour and a half, and that'll include usually 20 mins on the chipping green.
Golfing Blues on 17:18 - Jul 9 with 948 viewsstrikalite

Haha, yep it's very easy to do that, I'm a little obsessive but I had some very good advice from a wily Pro once upon a time, picture every single shot on the range as if you're on the course, stand back, picture it, picture the hole you're playing, get your alignment, swing thoughts etc......whilst everyone crashes balls off the rafters around you lol
Golfing Blues on 17:48 - Jul 9 with 932 viewsnorfsufblue

Golfing Blues on 17:18 - Jul 9 by strikalite

Haha, yep it's very easy to do that, I'm a little obsessive but I had some very good advice from a wily Pro once upon a time, picture every single shot on the range as if you're on the course, stand back, picture it, picture the hole you're playing, get your alignment, swing thoughts etc......whilst everyone crashes balls off the rafters around you lol

This... I try to change club every shot as you do regularly on the course, walk away from the shot , go to the bag recover the club if it has one and as you say visualizer the hole you are playing...... trouble is I'm so much better on the range as I always get a good lie even from a duck hook into "the trees"😉🤣🤣
Login to get fewer ads

Golfing Blues on 18:05 - Jul 9 with 907 viewsthe_toff

Golfing Blues on 17:18 - Jul 9 by strikalite

Sounds like good advice that I should follow. I know next time I’m there I’ll be whacking 3 balls a minute with my driver though haha.

Shot a +8 this morning which is my best ever, so I’m buzzing right now and can’t wait to get back out there.
Golfing Blues on 23:24 - Jul 9 with 785 viewsSwansea_Blue

I can get through 80 balls in 40 mins too, and I don’t even work for the BBC

More seriously, I’m a whacker. 60 balls would last me 30 mins tops. Funny old game. I enjoyed it when I played casually, but for some reason have never taken it up properly. Too many other things I want to fit around the family (but never get round to either).
[Post edited 9 Jul 2023 23:25]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Golfing Blues on 23:52 - Jul 9 with 761 viewsmylittletown

I have found it be actively beneficial for my back. My osteopath was not surprised.

One thing that I would say is that you can't carry or pull a trolley with a really bad back, you will need a quality push trolley or an electric trolley.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024