Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The danger of wishful thinking. 19:19 - May 21 with 792 viewsNthQldITFC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-65648361

Saw this on the news earlier, and it's not a process I'd thought about much before (although I was aware that rock weathering could sequestrate carbon).

This process would require one and a half tractor loads to cancel out one person's yearly emissions, and I'm not sure whether that is taking into account mining, processing, transport, spreading etc. etc.. At best I would see this making an utterly negligible difference to anything, yet it takes up news time and space and probably makes some people think, "Brilliant, we've got the technology to save ourselves."

To be fair to the BBC they do state in this article (as they did on the news) that this is a small scale potential intervention, and that drastically cutting back emissions right now is crucial. But I despair at the balance of news reporting, and the seemingly wilful lack of facing up to the biggest and most existential crisis by far we have ever seen.

The next item on the news was w@nking off about some space launch or other.

We all need to be braver and start to face the reality. And that means ramming that reality in the face of everyone, from the hard of thinking to the wilfully careless.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

The danger of wishful thinking. on 19:30 - May 21 with 735 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Technology is going to save us NQITFC.....you just have to believe!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

The danger of wishful thinking. on 19:56 - May 21 with 707 viewsCoachRob

Those old Richard Alley lectures are still knocking about on YouTube if people want to gain an understanding of the timescale involved with rock weathering.

I've been catching up on some of the Beyond Growth conference and there seems to be growing acknowledgement that the absolute decoupling fantasy is never going to happen. The €10m funding of research into this area has upset all the right people and hopefully some sanity prevails in adopting this type of policy.
The danger of wishful thinking. on 20:17 - May 21 with 653 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The danger of wishful thinking. on 19:56 - May 21 by CoachRob

Those old Richard Alley lectures are still knocking about on YouTube if people want to gain an understanding of the timescale involved with rock weathering.

I've been catching up on some of the Beyond Growth conference and there seems to be growing acknowledgement that the absolute decoupling fantasy is never going to happen. The €10m funding of research into this area has upset all the right people and hopefully some sanity prevails in adopting this type of policy.

First I've heard of that conference...any links to some good bits?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

The danger of wishful thinking. on 08:20 - May 22 with 458 viewsSaigonTractor

"We all need to be braver and start to face the reality. And that means ramming that reality in the face of everyone, from the hard of thinking to the wilfully careless."

That's what Extinction Rebellion/Just Stop Oil are trying to do. Unfortunately all it has led to is a coordinated attack from our dreadful press, as well as the occasional assault.
[Post edited 22 May 2023 8:38]
The danger of wishful thinking. on 08:47 - May 22 with 444 viewsNthQldITFC

The danger of wishful thinking. on 08:20 - May 22 by SaigonTractor

"We all need to be braver and start to face the reality. And that means ramming that reality in the face of everyone, from the hard of thinking to the wilfully careless."

That's what Extinction Rebellion/Just Stop Oil are trying to do. Unfortunately all it has led to is a coordinated attack from our dreadful press, as well as the occasional assault.
[Post edited 22 May 2023 8:38]

And that's why the mantra "we can't do anything because the government, or because China..." really boils my piss.

We, us, the general public are dodging our responsibility to change the situation from 'below' and whinging about petty inconveniences and jealously guarded privileges as time runs out.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024