Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Heirs of Slavery 10:51 - Apr 24 with 714 viewsGuthrum

Lobbying group founded by the descendants of slave owners, calling for acknowlegement and reparations.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/24/descendants-of-uk-slave-owners-cal

Sounds a noble cause, but are they going to return the monetary compensation paid by the British government to slave owners in 1837? See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_Compensation_Act_1837

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Heirs of Slavery on 10:59 - Apr 24 with 651 viewsBlueBadger

They're saying it should 'certainly be part of the discussion' in the article.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Heirs of Slavery on 11:02 - Apr 24 with 638 viewsMookamoo

Can we start with Richard Drax

He can at least gift the bit of Barbados back on which his family murdered thousands of slaves.
Heirs of Slavery on 11:05 - Apr 24 with 615 viewsGuthrum

Heirs of Slavery on 10:59 - Apr 24 by BlueBadger

They're saying it should 'certainly be part of the discussion' in the article.

Was controversial even at the time and should be a lot more than vaguely "part of the discussion", if they want others (namely the Government - and by extension the taxpayer) to fork out.

Heirs of Slavery on 11:29 - Apr 24 with 573 viewsMattinLondon

Heirs of Slavery on 11:05 - Apr 24 by Guthrum

Was controversial even at the time and should be a lot more than vaguely "part of the discussion", if they want others (namely the Government - and by extension the taxpayer) to fork out.

I’m not sure whether this is a primary school type of question.

In the years leading up to the abolition of slavery (in the British Empire that is) how were slave owners viewed by their contemporaries? Were they viewed with some disgust? I’m guessing that slave owners were in the minority even among the very wealthy.
Heirs of Slavery on 11:30 - Apr 24 with 571 viewsGogs

I wonder where they draw the line at descendants of slave owners? Pretty sure one of the founding fathers in the US (a well documented slave trader) is in my family tree, along with Cecil Rhodes. As far as I know we’ve never received any sort of inheritance related to those branches of the family so we’re not ‘heirs’ as such. I may have just answered my own question there. I’d assume there are many other families out there who can trace links to slave owners/traders too.

The other side of my family has Henry Ford in it, and some of his estate did reach relatives around here, which caused a bit of a dispute, but that’s another story.

Bit of a “who’s who?” of historical bàstards in my family tree. But there you go. We’re nice people nowadays.
Heirs of Slavery on 11:41 - Apr 24 with 545 viewsGuthrum

Heirs of Slavery on 11:29 - Apr 24 by MattinLondon

I’m not sure whether this is a primary school type of question.

In the years leading up to the abolition of slavery (in the British Empire that is) how were slave owners viewed by their contemporaries? Were they viewed with some disgust? I’m guessing that slave owners were in the minority even among the very wealthy.

Depended who you spoke to. Abolitionism was quite a significant movement. On the other hand, quite a lot of the leading families were absentee owners or benefitted from slave-worked estates in the Caribbean, even if there was no immediate link. Worth noting that slavery was not considered legal within the UK itself even in the 18th century, c.f. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somerset_v_Stewart .

By the time slave-owning was abolished in 1837, the slave trade had been outlawed for thirty years, with the Royal Navy very active in suppressing what was left of it along the West African coast.

So very variable. With sufficient influential support that the government felt compelled to pay slave owners off (the slaves themselves received no compensation).

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024