Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 11:16 - Feb 3 with 3245 viewsGlasgowBlue

https://news.sky.com/story/welsh-rugby-union-bans-delilah-being-sung-at-principa

Anyone on here suddenly get the urge to murder their Mrs after listening to Tom Jones belt out 'Delilah'?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 11:19 - Feb 3 with 2398 viewsCotty

I mainly think that this sort of culture war nonsense is designed to distract us from the almighty f*** up that the government is making of ruling this country.
Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 11:19 - Feb 3 with 2386 viewsKeno

Good luck to the WRFU stopping 60,000 drunk welsh people singing a Tom Jone classic

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/wru-ban-delilah-singing-stadium-26

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 11:22 - Feb 3 with 2364 viewsitfcjoe

WRU just trying to divert people's attention from what a sh*t show they are

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Really? I think this is more to do with.... on 11:22 - Feb 3 with 2368 viewsBloots

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 11:19 - Feb 3 by Cotty

I mainly think that this sort of culture war nonsense is designed to distract us from the almighty f*** up that the government is making of ruling this country.

....the Welsh RFU deciding that the best way to deal with allegations of racism and sexism is to stop singing a song.

Pretty certain that the WRFU are not politically aligned to the UK government, far from it I expect.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Yes indeed, it's pathetically transparent. (n/t) on 11:23 - Feb 3 with 2346 viewsBloots

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 11:22 - Feb 3 by itfcjoe

WRU just trying to divert people's attention from what a sh*t show they are

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 11:31 - Feb 3 with 2299 viewsGlasgowBlue

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 11:19 - Feb 3 by Cotty

The WRFU are in cahoots with the Tories?

Iron Lion Zion

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 11:39 - Feb 3 with 2248 viewsKeno

Just a thought but does 'dirging' their way through Flower of Scotland make the average Scottish rugby fan want to take up arms and do battle with the English?

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 12:00 - Feb 3 with 2199 viewsDJR

I think people are making a storm in a teacup out of this, no doubt as part of the culture wars.

The WRU have been accused of misogyny, so it doesn't seem unreasonable to do what they have done concerning a song that some regard as misogynistic.

In any event, if you read one of the articles in this thread, they haven't had the song on their half-time playlist since 2015, and their present action is merely removing it from the choir's playlist.

It also has to be seen in the context of what Chris Bryant said in one of the articles. "It is a simple fact that when there are big international rugby matches on, and sometimes football matches as well, the number of domestic violence incidents rises dramatically,"

Times move on, and certain things that were acceptable once (domestic violence) become no longer acceptable. Indeed, no doubt there was resistance when the football authorities first tried to stamp out things like monkey chants against black players.
Login to get fewer ads

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 12:00 - Feb 3 with 2192 viewsDJR

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 11:39 - Feb 3 by Keno

Just a thought but does 'dirging' their way through Flower of Scotland make the average Scottish rugby fan want to take up arms and do battle with the English?

It certainly gets me going.

Seriously though, the song is about fighting off an invasion, not invading England. And the reference to "proud Edward's army" indicates that it is not a hateful song.
Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 12:11 - Feb 3 with 2098 viewsKeno

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 12:00 - Feb 3 by DJR

It certainly gets me going.

Seriously though, the song is about fighting off an invasion, not invading England. And the reference to "proud Edward's army" indicates that it is not a hateful song.

I was being a tad facetious

It a stirring song.

Lest we forget the last verse of the GB national Anthem

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the King!

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 12:27 - Feb 3 with 2020 viewsHARRY10

I think people are making a storm in a teacup out of this, no doubt as part of the culture wars.

The WRU have been accused of misogyny, so it doesn't seem unreasonable to do what they have done concerning a song that some regard as misogynistic.

In any event, if you read one of the articles in this thread, they haven't had the song on their half-time playlist since 2015, and their present action is merely removing it from the choir's playlist.

It also has to be seen in the context of what Chris Bryant said in one of the articles. "It is a simple fact that when there are big international rugby matches on, and sometimes football matches as well, the number of domestic violence incidents rises dramatically,"

Times move on, and certain things that were acceptable once (domestic violence) become no longer acceptable. Indeed, no doubt there was resistance when the football authorities first tried to stamp out things like monkey chants against black players.

I say old chap, you'll upset the 'wokeys cokeys' with talk like that - reasoned argument.

How can rightwing paranoia be maintained when folk like you explain things rationally. They have a constant need to be outraged.

Have you not read the Mail ? This ban on people knowing the song or it's lyrics is a slippery slope to the full 'woke', where it will be illegal to state you are a man or a woman, and homosexuality will be compulsory.

otherwise, well said
Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 12:32 - Feb 3 with 2012 viewscatch74

Even as a person of non Welsh origin, this gets me going, what a great ring walk.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 12:40 - Feb 3 with 1950 viewsDJR

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 12:11 - Feb 3 by Keno

I was being a tad facetious

It a stirring song.

Lest we forget the last verse of the GB national Anthem

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the King!

I realised that not least because you used the expression "dirging".

Incidentally, as dirges go, I don't think there is anything to beat the National Anthem, which is such an uninspiring song.

Maybe the aim of singing it before games is to make the opposition comatose.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2023 12:43]
Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 12:45 - Feb 3 with 1885 viewsHARRY10

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 12:32 - Feb 3 by catch74

Even as a person of non Welsh origin, this gets me going, what a great ring walk.

All rather camp, bit to much like a fashion show
Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 13:10 - Feb 3 with 1822 viewsKeno

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 12:40 - Feb 3 by DJR

I realised that not least because you used the expression "dirging".

Incidentally, as dirges go, I don't think there is anything to beat the National Anthem, which is such an uninspiring song.

Maybe the aim of singing it before games is to make the opposition comatose.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2023 12:43]

Totally agree about GSTK, Jerusalem would make a much better national anthem

Although it's still not a patch on a Soldiers Song

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 13:11 - Feb 3 with 1821 viewsitfcjoe

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 12:32 - Feb 3 by catch74

Lets hope the powers that be at Stoke don't have a crisis they need to cover up by banning their fans singing this - would go down even worse!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 13:13 - Feb 3 with 1813 viewsGlasgowBlue

I assume we will all be burning our copies of Nick Cave’s Murder Ballads then.

Edit. Re your last comment. Domestic violence, like monkey chants, is never acceptable. That is completely different to a pop song. 90% of hip hop incites far more violence than a 1960’s Tom Jones ballad.

I would imagine there hasn’t been a single case of violence that has been inspired by the Tim Jones song. Can the same be said for hip hop?
[Post edited 3 Feb 2023 13:21]

Iron Lion Zion

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 13:17 - Feb 3 with 1791 viewsDarth_Koont

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 11:39 - Feb 3 by Keno

Yes. The English and also the celtic turncoats.

Pronouns: He/Him

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 13:19 - Feb 3 with 1782 viewsDJR

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 13:10 - Feb 3 by Keno

Yep. The Scots and Irish have lots in common, including loads of moving folks songs and the like.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2023 13:24]
Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 13:38 - Feb 3 with 1676 viewsGlasgowBlue

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 13:10 - Feb 3 by Keno

Jerusalem? With lyrics that refer to bows, arrows and swords? Cancelled mate.

And that's before we get into whether Jerusalem is part of Israel or Palestine.

Iron Lion Zion

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 14:01 - Feb 3 with 1598 viewsBlueschev

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 13:13 - Feb 3 by GlasgowBlue

Edit. Re your last comment. Domestic violence, like monkey chants, is never acceptable. That is completely different to a pop song. 90% of hip hop incites far more violence than a 1960’s Tom Jones ballad.

I would imagine there hasn’t been a single case of violence that has been inspired by the Tim Jones song. Can the same be said for hip hop?

It would be pretty surreal if 60000 Welsh rugby fans all began singing Protect Ya Neck at the game tomorrow.
Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 14:02 - Feb 3 with 1589 viewsKeno

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 13:38 - Feb 3 by GlasgowBlue

Jerusalem? With lyrics that refer to bows, arrows and swords? Cancelled mate.

And that's before we get into whether Jerusalem is part of Israel or Palestine.

Obviously so many issue with that song

The new first verse now reads

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountain green, but only on pathways with proper rights of way
And was the holy Lamb, or suitable non meat alternative of God, or other deity or non deified person of non specific gender orientation
On England's pleasant pastures seen?
And did the countenance divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here, but only is an area suitable for urbanised development after all the planning requirements had been fulfilled
Somewhere near Bungay

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 14:41 - Feb 3 with 1499 viewsDJR

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 13:13 - Feb 3 by GlasgowBlue

I don't think anyone's talking about banning or burning anything, just not having it as part of a particular repertoire. Nor is anyone suggesting Delilah will encourage violence.

However, the furore will probably encourage, say, football fans to sing the song in a form of defiance, just as many booed players taking the knee.

Incidentally, your comments about hip hop appear to be straying into racial stereotyping territory. Do you have proof that 90% of hip hop is violent, or encourages violence? Much of the hip hop I have heard is not violent in any way but is in fact very inspirational. And could it not be argued that any violence in hip hop merely reflects the violence in the communities it comes from? After all, Glasgow has long been famous for its gangs and violence, but this clearly has nothing to do with any outside influence. And white America is good at mass killings without any hip hop influence.

Talking about inspirational hip hop songs, this is probably my favourite.

[Post edited 3 Feb 2023 14:46]
Stop! Collaborate and listen! (n/t) on 14:49 - Feb 3 with 1459 viewsBloots

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 14:41 - Feb 3 by DJR

I don't think anyone's talking about banning or burning anything, just not having it as part of a particular repertoire. Nor is anyone suggesting Delilah will encourage violence.

However, the furore will probably encourage, say, football fans to sing the song in a form of defiance, just as many booed players taking the knee.

Incidentally, your comments about hip hop appear to be straying into racial stereotyping territory. Do you have proof that 90% of hip hop is violent, or encourages violence? Much of the hip hop I have heard is not violent in any way but is in fact very inspirational. And could it not be argued that any violence in hip hop merely reflects the violence in the communities it comes from? After all, Glasgow has long been famous for its gangs and violence, but this clearly has nothing to do with any outside influence. And white America is good at mass killings without any hip hop influence.

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 14:58 - Feb 3 with 1390 viewsGlasgowBlue

Stop the world I want to get off Part 235664 on 14:41 - Feb 3 by DJR

And wife beaters are quite capable of domestic violence without the influence of Tom Jones.

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024