Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I've just nearly had a car crash 11:16 - Jan 11 with 2730 viewsstickymockwell

And I can't work out who's fault it would have been if we had collided. I was driving down a straight road and I had a parked car to over take. It was near a T junction and the other car obviously just looked right and swung out onto the road as I was just pulling in. If we had of pranged was it my fault because technically I was on the wrong side of the road???
Sorry boring post but I know the great minds of TWTD will have the answer.

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

I've just nearly had a car crash on 11:17 - Jan 11 with 2681 viewsIpswich24

I would probably say yours as you were on TWTD at the time on other side of road

Poll: Who would you like to be manager out of these?

I've just nearly had a car crash on 11:18 - Jan 11 with 2677 viewsgeg1992

Surely the person at fault is the one joining the road as it was not safe to do so.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

I've just nearly had a car crash on 11:20 - Jan 11 with 2631 viewsstickymockwell

I've just nearly had a car crash on 11:17 - Jan 11 by Ipswich24

I would probably say yours as you were on TWTD at the time on other side of road

*Puts down phone

I've just nearly had a car crash on 11:23 - Jan 11 with 2588 viewsLeBlue

Their fault as they were joining the carriageway and are therefore required to ensure it is safe to do so, this includes looking both ways.
I've just nearly had a car crash on 11:25 - Jan 11 with 2551 viewsSparky85

Would have been an interesting one. Would depend on witness statements etc but my initial thoughts is that the insurers would probably agree to deal with own damage only between them. There is a bit of fault on both sides but I would agree more so on the driver pulling out of the junction
I've just nearly had a car crash on 11:30 - Jan 11 with 2500 viewsSikamikanico

Strangely this nearly happened to me as well. They did not look left at all until they decided to start pulling out and had to emergency break
I've just nearly had a car crash on 11:30 - Jan 11 with 2492 viewstonybied

I've just nearly had a car crash on 11:23 - Jan 11 by LeBlue

Their fault as they were joining the carriageway and are therefore required to ensure it is safe to do so, this includes looking both ways.

I would suspect the parked car was not legally parked if you were on the wrong side of the road that close to the junction. Surely the person who had parked their car to close to a junction would hold some blame in this too?
I've just nearly had a car crash on 11:37 - Jan 11 with 2402 viewsstickymockwell

I've just nearly had a car crash on 11:30 - Jan 11 by tonybied

I would suspect the parked car was not legally parked if you were on the wrong side of the road that close to the junction. Surely the person who had parked their car to close to a junction would hold some blame in this too?

Its a country road so no yellow lines! but yeah it was a stupid place to park.

Login to get fewer ads

I've just nearly had a car crash on 11:40 - Jan 11 with 2369 viewsbluelagos

Person coming out of junction.

The parked car may have contributed but unless illegally parked is a bit of a red herring. Joining a road you have wait til it's safe, period.

Having said all that, I'd maybe hold back if in that situation given you don't want a crash even if it's the other guys insurance. Doubly so if on 2 wheels. Or just beep yer horn to let car on side road know you're there?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

I've just nearly had a car crash on 11:46 - Jan 11 with 2300 viewsKeno

Did you knock any cyclists off their bikes?

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I've just nearly had a car crash on 11:47 - Jan 11 with 2306 viewsBasuco

Accidents like this, had it happened, are a prime example of the benefit of a dash cam with GPS to show your speed. It will give your exact perspective of events before any collision. If you were speeding or driving dangerously it would work against you, but I would recommend everyone gets a dashcam if you do not already have one. It avoids any arguments about how you were driving or the exact events leading up to an accident.
My opinion on your incident would be that without dashcam it would be 50 - 50 with dashcam the other driver may well be proved at fault.
I've just nearly had a car crash on 11:51 - Jan 11 with 2261 viewsRyorry

Sorry, don't know, opened thread in error thinking it was a witty take on Chico's OP "would it be the biggest failure in ITFC history if we failed to get promotion this season?"

Poll: Time of the annunciation

I've just nearly had a car crash on 12:04 - Jan 11 with 2145 viewsstickymockwell

I've just nearly had a car crash on 11:46 - Jan 11 by Keno

Did you knock any cyclists off their bikes?

A whole Peloton but that was 3 miles later

I've just nearly had a car crash on 12:07 - Jan 11 with 2092 viewsKeno

I've just nearly had a car crash on 12:04 - Jan 11 by stickymockwell

A whole Peloton but that was 3 miles later

This qualifies you for this week's "Facters Good Motoring Award"

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I've just nearly had a car crash on 12:11 - Jan 11 with 2047 viewsMeadowlark

Yours, if only for writing "of" when it should have been "have!"
I've just nearly had a car crash on 12:24 - Jan 11 with 1949 viewsstickymockwell

I've just nearly had a car crash on 12:11 - Jan 11 by Meadowlark

Yours, if only for writing "of" when it should have been "have!"

I'm from Suffolk and I say of.

I've just nearly had a car crash on 12:26 - Jan 11 with 1941 viewsElephantintheRoom

Assuming the other car was in the road when you hit it whilst driving on the wrong side of the road I’d suggest you’d be at fault. Even if you weren’t you’d be making a claim and be stuffed for three years.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

I've just nearly had a car crash on 12:28 - Jan 11 with 1920 viewschicoazul

This is why it’s very important to drive ultra defensively treat everyone else like idiots and have a dash cam.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

I've just nearly had a car crash on 13:11 - Jan 11 with 1695 viewsmattyhollandsirish

I've just nearly had a car crash on 11:23 - Jan 11 by LeBlue

Incident specific details (witnesses etc), would be taken into account, but without such and fundamentally, then the view that the person coming out of the junction is at fault is correct. You can't just pull out of a junction. You've a duty to check both ways. Vehicles already on the carriageway have priority.
I've just nearly had a car crash on 13:11 - Jan 11 with 1696 viewsPinewoodblue

The thing to remember is liability can be apportioned between the involved parties. It doesn’t have to be just one person’s fault , it is known as contributory negligence.

Matters are resolved according to decisions made in similar cases in a higher court. Case law evolves over time. I have been retired too long to know the relevant case law but there will be one.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

I've just nearly had a car crash on 13:22 - Jan 11 with 1625 viewsPendejo

I've just nearly had a car crash on 13:11 - Jan 11 by Pinewoodblue

The thing to remember is liability can be apportioned between the involved parties. It doesn’t have to be just one person’s fault , it is known as contributory negligence.

Matters are resolved according to decisions made in similar cases in a higher court. Case law evolves over time. I have been retired too long to know the relevant case law but there will be one.

Agree this point.

There are a number of variables, including "inconsiderate parking" - even if legal doesn't make it considerate; hump of a hill, blind bend or close to a junction.

Given the recent changes substitute your vehicle for a pedestrian, and the balance of responsibility shifts heavily onto other driver.I

But it was a nearly, which hopefully means both drivers are more aware of the dangers.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

I've just nearly had a car crash on 15:23 - Jan 11 with 1422 viewsbluelagos

A legal opinion and an interesting thread:-

https://www.theinjurylawyers.co.uk/injury-lawyers-blog/2013/08/28/highway-code-p

"The main message is clear — if a vehicle is proceeding correctly and is established on the main road and a car pulls out from a side road, it is more than likely the latter that has failed to pay due care and attention and therefore they will most likely be found liable. "

This thread even suggests that an insurer sided with a guy driving the wrong way down a one way road vs a guy coming out of a junction and not looking properly.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/157290/pulling-out-of

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024