Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We have to go for it now surely? 13:16 - Jan 3 with 2073 viewsAsa

The owners will not see any option other than being in the Champioship in the next 2-3 seasons with where we are positioned, what we have to build on and the resources we have.

From a purely financial point, it's much easier to build a good Championship side in League One due to financial rules. The big issue with doing so is obviously some players won't want to join a League One side when they are Championship quality.

Given Morsy, Evans, Davis, Walton and Chaplin at least are clear solid performers there and we attracted them off the back of a dream, the fact we are flying, have 26,000 every week and have McKenna has to allow us to really sell that dream now and bring in 3-4 absolutely top drawer players this window.

The squad situation probably dictates that but I would not be at all surprised to see something completely ruthless happen like 4 or 5 come in so that an Edwards, Vincent-Young or even Jackson is forced out of the 22.

I can't see the owners or Ashton missing a trick now.

We have to go for it now surely? on 13:31 - Jan 3 with 1970 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Think you are probably right. Now is the time to build a team capable of getting into the Championship and having a real good tilt at it.

Lets be honest, the club has been bought as an investment, the only way to see a return on that investment is NOT in the Championship, and the best way to maintain your investment is to stay in the Prem, and hold onto the club for a number of years. These guys are in for the long term, but won't accept staying in League one for too long.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

We have to go for it now surely? on 13:32 - Jan 3 with 1966 viewsPioneerBlue

Whether we go for it now or not time will tell but I tend to agree with your identified weakest backup areas; a right back, cover or competition for Burns/Chaplin/Harness, a striker plus add to that midfield which is currently low depth. With these types of players there is the scope to resolve those hard to beat low block teams, whilst retaining the players able to play the way we have come to enjoy against other teams.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

We have to go for it now surely? on 13:40 - Jan 3 with 1873 viewsDavoIPB

We basically need a Celina type player. If you look at our goals from last year he is often involved.
We have to go for it now surely? on 13:43 - Jan 3 with 1832 viewsCheltenham_Blue

We have to go for it now surely? on 13:40 - Jan 3 by DavoIPB

We basically need a Celina type player. If you look at our goals from last year he is often involved.

Said the same last week. A Celina type that can unpick defences with a bit of outrageous skill.

Unfortunately the Celina ship has sailed, and you'll not find anyone like that at this level, and in the Championship there is no way that kind of player would drop down to get kicked around here.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

We have to go for it now surely? on 13:43 - Jan 3 with 1830 viewsBlueForYou

What do you mean by "even Jackson"..??
We have to go for it now surely? on 13:45 - Jan 3 with 1793 viewsFrimleyBlue

You wouldn't want to be sat in Ashtons chair come summer if we don't go up.

" I know we didnt go up. But...
I need the £1 million for the desso pitch
£250,000 for the new entrance facility
£3.5 mill + for new players

I promise we will go up next season.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

We have to go for it now surely? on 13:49 - Jan 3 with 1727 viewsAsa

We have to go for it now surely? on 13:43 - Jan 3 by BlueForYou

What do you mean by "even Jackson"..??

KVY and Edwards have played bit parts of late, whereas Jackson has been far more prominent starting yesterday and at Wycombe and is currently second choice for what is our most important role.

Whilst I rate KVY and Edwards are higher ceiling talents than Jackson, I'd say Kayden's worth to the squad is more right now given the lack of options, so it would be a big call to replace him in the 22 but can see it potentially happening, as we need to stop conceding as many, but also have to have enough fire power to win games if we carry on defensively as we are.
We have to go for it now surely? on 14:33 - Jan 3 with 1449 viewsBeckets

We have to go for it now surely? on 13:49 - Jan 3 by Asa

KVY and Edwards have played bit parts of late, whereas Jackson has been far more prominent starting yesterday and at Wycombe and is currently second choice for what is our most important role.

Whilst I rate KVY and Edwards are higher ceiling talents than Jackson, I'd say Kayden's worth to the squad is more right now given the lack of options, so it would be a big call to replace him in the 22 but can see it potentially happening, as we need to stop conceding as many, but also have to have enough fire power to win games if we carry on defensively as we are.

McKenna can be ruthless in getting rid of players he doesn’t think are up to it. He didn’t waste much time in the summer with the likes of Norwood, Carroll etc and prior to that in January Fraser and Nsiala. I don’t think Jackson will be let go at this stage as McKenna was involved in him getting a new contract. Better to look at players he inherited and I think you’re right identifying KVY and Edwards. The former doesn’t look good enough defensively to be back up to JD and the latter has insufficient end product. I think we’ll bring 4 in this window if we can - back up to JD, a CM, a first choice 9 and a first choice 10 alongside Chaplin.
Login to get fewer ads

We have to go for it now surely? on 14:42 - Jan 3 with 1374 viewsHealysBackPocket

We have to go for it now surely? on 13:43 - Jan 3 by Cheltenham_Blue

Said the same last week. A Celina type that can unpick defences with a bit of outrageous skill.

Unfortunately the Celina ship has sailed, and you'll not find anyone like that at this level, and in the Championship there is no way that kind of player would drop down to get kicked around here.

I think the closest player you’ll find at this level, and I would say is arguably better than Celina at this level, is Mehmeti at Wycombe and I would be very much in favour of going after him - whether Wycombe would consider selling to us is a different question entirely.
We have to go for it now surely? on 14:53 - Jan 3 with 1283 viewsdavblue

We have to go for it now surely? on 14:42 - Jan 3 by HealysBackPocket

I think the closest player you’ll find at this level, and I would say is arguably better than Celina at this level, is Mehmeti at Wycombe and I would be very much in favour of going after him - whether Wycombe would consider selling to us is a different question entirely.

i wonder if the adaptation time to our style of play would put us off a January move.

Wycombe are direct, low block sit in team, the polor opposite to us. I don't think he's in Celina's league though.
We have to go for it now surely? on 15:25 - Jan 3 with 1047 viewshomer_123

We have to go for it now surely? on 13:40 - Jan 3 by DavoIPB

Do we?

Don't get me wrong, a player of that quality would always be welcome but....I'm not sure creating opportunities is what we lack.

Take the Lincoln game, which is a pretty good barometer of how we have been this season. Evans, Leigh and Woolf all had excellent chances to score.

Evans free shot pulled wide from just inside the box, Leigh's free header at the near post put over and Woolfy hit the bar. 3 gilt edged opportunities created, plus a number of other decent chances throughout the game, such as Ladapo's missed opps as well.

The issue, of late, is not really a lack of creativity but more our inability to convert.

If we can up that conversion rate, then we'll be fine.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024