Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 20:41 - Sep 17 with 1718 viewsTomTheWriter

Despite a bitter taste being left in my mouth after the result today, the fact that within 7 months we've gone from being slapped around, teased, poked and ultimately humiliated in what was somehow only a 1-0 loss to Wednesday back in January, to being disappointed with only a point against a squad better than what they had last season shows the level of progression we have made under McKenna.

It's not just Sheff Wed either. Lots of talk of 'failing to beat the top 6' - so what. I'd rather lose against 2nd then lose against 24th, which happened all too often last season.

Everything around the town is improving. The club is on the up, we have a modern take on the stadium, we have a progressive coach who will manage in the Premier League in the next 10 years, and squad of players who are actually matching talent with heart.

The signs are good. Hillsborough is one of the toughest atmosphere's we'll face this season, and sounds like we stifled them. Give me 0-0 draws against the top 6 and then 2-0 wins over the rest of the league all day long

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 20:49 - Sep 17 with 1673 viewspointofblue

This better Sheffield Wednesday side got turned over 2-0 by Barnsley in their last game at Hillsbrough.

Maybe I will get over throwing away a 2-0 lead in the manner we did but I'm not there yet. Wednesday are beatable - we failed to beat them.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 21:11 - Sep 17 with 1614 viewsGuthrum

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 20:49 - Sep 17 by pointofblue

This better Sheffield Wednesday side got turned over 2-0 by Barnsley in their last game at Hillsbrough.

Maybe I will get over throwing away a 2-0 lead in the manner we did but I'm not there yet. Wednesday are beatable - we failed to beat them.

The same Barnsley who beat Cambridge by three goals to nil today.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 21:17 - Sep 17 with 1585 viewspointofblue

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 21:11 - Sep 17 by Guthrum

Whilst down to ten men after their first goal.

Maybe we should be more wary of them.

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 21:20 - Sep 17 with 1577 viewsChurchman

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 21:11 - Sep 17 by Guthrum

The same Barnsley side that scraped a draw at PR curtesy of the ref, yet trampled all over SW?
Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 21:32 - Sep 17 with 1528 viewspointofblue

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 21:20 - Sep 17 by Churchman

The same Barnsley side that scraped a draw at PR curtesy of the ref, yet trampled all over SW?

Hence we're good enough to beat them. We didn't because we seemed to lose it in the final 15 minutes.

(I will get over it but don't know when. I still harp back in my mind to the 2-2 at Birmingham under Hurst...)

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 21:38 - Sep 17 with 1500 viewsTomTheWriter

Thing is, every team is beatable. Barnsley went to Wednesday and did what Shrewsbury and Accy tried to do to us. We went to Hillsborough and tried to do what Bristol Rovers did to us on Tuesday. Play football. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes you draw. This is 1 point closer to the Championship, and keeping the title favourites 4 points behind

League is mad - Barnsley beat Sheff Wed, who beat Bolton, who beat Charlton, who beat Plymouth, who beat Posh, who beat Lincoln, who beat Derby, who beat Cambridge, who beat Exeter, who beat Wycombe… and who did Wycombe beat? Barnsley.

Big differences in that. All of those sides mentioned have lost, whereas we haven’t. We’ll drop points this season, but we look like a side who can turn up, win 2-0 and go home

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 22:00 - Sep 17 with 1405 viewsChurchman

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 21:32 - Sep 17 by pointofblue

Hence we're good enough to beat them. We didn't because we seemed to lose it in the final 15 minutes.

(I will get over it but don't know when. I still harp back in my mind to the 2-2 at Birmingham under Hurst...)

We are not the same football club as the sorry dross under Hurst and Lambert.
Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 22:09 - Sep 17 with 1363 viewspointofblue

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 22:00 - Sep 17 by Churchman

We are not the same football club as the sorry dross under Hurst and Lambert.

True. Still aggravates.

But look, I still wonder what would have happened if Sunderland hadn't been given a soft penalty on the opening day of 2001/2002. So throwing away a 2-0 lead today is REALLY fresh.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2022 22:23]

Login to get fewer ads

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 22:33 - Sep 17 with 1298 viewshomer_123

Why do you have such a negative perspective on Town?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 22:47 - Sep 17 with 1255 viewspointofblue

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 22:33 - Sep 17 by homer_123

Why do you have such a negative perspective on Town?

I don't. Only when we fail to win.

Seriously, we were 2-0 up and failed to win. Is that a good thing?

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 23:52 - Sep 17 with 1125 viewsxrayspecs

Agree with your main point Tom, I am not sure about all of your like for like comparisons.

I believe you need to replace first, second and third in L1 last season with the teams that finished 22nd, 23rd and 24th in the Championship. Same goes for those coming up replacing the four who were relegated.

On this basis:

FGR A replaced Gills away last season, both won by Town
Barnsley H replaced Sunderland home last season, both drawn
Bris R H replaced AFC Wimbledon home, so a two point improvement.

In total we are 14 points better off compared to corresponding fixtures last season.
Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 00:33 - Sep 18 with 1066 viewsIllinoisblue

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 21:32 - Sep 17 by pointofblue

It’s an outrage we don’t win every single game. Ffs

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 01:41 - Sep 18 with 1023 viewspointofblue

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 00:33 - Sep 18 by Illinoisblue

It’s an outrage we don’t win every single game. Ffs

That's the same with every fanbase.

A draw is a good result which I think the majority would have taken at 3pm today. But would they have at 4.25pm? At 2-0 up we should have seen it out. I reckon most fans feel the same.

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 01:58 - Sep 18 with 1012 viewsIllinoisblue

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 01:41 - Sep 18 by pointofblue

That's the same with every fanbase.

A draw is a good result which I think the majority would have taken at 3pm today. But would they have at 4.25pm? At 2-0 up we should have seen it out. I reckon most fans feel the same.

Well obviously you’d want to win at 2-0 up with 20 mins left. But your simplistic argument of “team X beat team Y so that means Z should happen” never has and never will match the reality of football. It just doesn’t work like that.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 02:30 - Sep 18 with 992 viewspointofblue

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 01:58 - Sep 18 by Illinoisblue

Well obviously you’d want to win at 2-0 up with 20 mins left. But your simplistic argument of “team X beat team Y so that means Z should happen” never has and never will match the reality of football. It just doesn’t work like that.

That’s fair, though Barnsley beating Sheffield Wednesday shows they’re there for the taking and, considering the position we were in, we should have taken it.

Clear Signs of Progression vs 2021/22 on 03:37 - Sep 18 with 956 viewsKropotkin123

Everyone is beatable. Get a sense of perspective. Not every game is going to play out the way we want to over the course of the season.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024