Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Energy companies are seriously taking the pee now 17:22 - Aug 31 with 1405 viewsN2_Blue

So my energy company (shell) have just advised they have automatically increased the amount of my direct debit. I know they do this from time to time and i drop it back despite a warning saying i will go into debt (according to their predictions - always wrong). If i ever need to pay extra i do as i keep a close eye on bills.

Our energy account has NEVER been close to being in debt ever and we are currently several hundred pounds in credit. I absolutely hate being in credit which is basically giving energy companies free money. Think of all the customers money as credit they are sitting on especially with interest rates increasing.

I have just tried to drop my DD to the amount to slightly more than it was previously and they are saying this is not possible - it must be the minimum they have set! I'm outraged, my account is in credit, and i going to be paying increased debits before i even put my heating on just giving them more credit.

This is just totally unethical!!

Surely i should have the right to change my DD when i know i am using more energy. If i didn't have any credit i would understand this more but I'm at least 2 months in credit. So technically i should be able to pay almost nothing for two months if i wanted and i wouldn't be in debt to them.

Hate them with a passion!

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Energy companies are seriously taking the pee now on 19:11 - Aug 31 with 1180 viewsPendejo

I believe they have to give you a reason - see

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/lower-energy-direct-debits/#:~:text= usage is seasonal%2C so it%27s expected that,a chunk of the amount you%27ve overpaid back.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Energy companies are seriously taking the pee now on 19:22 - Aug 31 with 1135 viewsRyorry

I'm also with Shell (forcibly removed there when Green went bust) and also objected. They did agree to let me drop my DD back to £100 (they'd upped it to £150 pcm from £50).

However - you *do not have to have a DD*.

Next month, on their info page, I read that you can still opt to pay monthly for *only* what you've actually used that month & I've opted to do that, no problem (requires you to submit monthly readings if ypu don't have smart meter). My tariff wasn't changed & I haven't been told of any increase in price, tho as my first bill has just come in doing it this way, I'll check.

You can even still opt to pay quarterly only for what you've actually used if you want!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Energy companies are seriously taking the pee now on 20:40 - Aug 31 with 1003 viewsN2_Blue

Energy companies are seriously taking the pee now on 19:22 - Aug 31 by Ryorry

I'm also with Shell (forcibly removed there when Green went bust) and also objected. They did agree to let me drop my DD back to £100 (they'd upped it to £150 pcm from £50).

Next month, on their info page, I read that you can still opt to pay monthly for *only* what you've actually used that month & I've opted to do that, no problem (requires you to submit monthly readings if ypu don't have smart meter). My tariff wasn't changed & I haven't been told of any increase in price, tho as my first bill has just come in doing it this way, I'll check.

You can even still opt to pay quarterly only for what you've actually used if you want!

I also got moved to Shell having been with Green.

Thanks for that info, think I'll have a look because i think it's ridiculous them holding more of my money than is actually needed.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Energy companies are seriously taking the pee now on 21:00 - Aug 31 with 901 viewsfabian_illness

Energy companies are seriously taking the pee now on 19:22 - Aug 31 by Ryorry

I'm now with E.On after they bought out n.power.
I paid quarterly for 27 years without a problem, but E.On don't allow it. Got quite ar5ey about it too.
Energy companies are seriously taking the pee now on 21:08 - Aug 31 with 864 viewsjaykay

not knocking you but i never understand direct debit to any company. this just them getting free money. if your direct debit is say £75 a month why not put that amount into a separate
saving account . then get them to bill the amount you owe and pay them from that account. no free money for them

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Energy companies are seriously taking the pee now on 22:13 - Aug 31 with 755 viewsSwansea_Blue

Energy companies are seriously taking the pee now on 21:08 - Aug 31 by jaykay

not knocking you but i never understand direct debit to any company. this just them getting free money. if your direct debit is say £75 a month why not put that amount into a separate
saving account . then get them to bill the amount you owe and pay them from that account. no free money for them

That’s easy to answer - convenience.

In response to the OP, the suppliers aren’t the major problem here though, as proven by how many have gone bust (although yes, some have been naughty on changing DDs without consultation). Their profits are capped and they’re also lobbying the government for a bill freeze for customers. We need to do something about the generators making billions in profits from selling into the wholesale market. But apparently we can’t do much about those as many are not registered in the UK. So govt support will be needed whether they like it or not. They’ll have to do something or their benefits bills will far exceed what’s needed for energy as more businesses close and people lose their jobs.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Energy companies are seriously taking the pee now on 22:16 - Aug 31 with 723 viewsjaykay

Energy companies are seriously taking the pee now on 22:13 - Aug 31 by Swansea_Blue

That’s easy to answer - convenience.

In response to the OP, the suppliers aren’t the major problem here though, as proven by how many have gone bust (although yes, some have been naughty on changing DDs without consultation). Their profits are capped and they’re also lobbying the government for a bill freeze for customers. We need to do something about the generators making billions in profits from selling into the wholesale market. But apparently we can’t do much about those as many are not registered in the UK. So govt support will be needed whether they like it or not. They’ll have to do something or their benefits bills will far exceed what’s needed for energy as more businesses close and people lose their jobs.

it convenient to have the company getting free money from you ?

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024