Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The common cold could offer some Covid protection 13:46 - Jan 10 with 1543 viewshomer_123

Small scale study but interesting all the same.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59911257

"Experts say no-one should rely on this defence alone, and vaccines remain key.

But they believe their findings could provide useful insight into how a body's defence system fights the virus.
"

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The common cold could offer some Covid protection on 13:48 - Jan 10 with 1525 viewsKeno

certainly not a stuffy to be sneezed at

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

The common cold could offer some Covid protection on 13:49 - Jan 10 with 1523 viewsElderGrizzly

Of course all across Twitter and Facebook the anti-vaxxers think this means it is ‘just a cold’

The biggest takeaway was as you say, “get a vaccine” and that the study may help develop future vaccines.

It was of course only a study of 52 people
The common cold could offer some Covid protection on 14:15 - Jan 10 with 1447 viewsGuthrum

They've had an idea this was the case since pretty early on. However, it is only one particular variety of the common cold, not all of them.

It's only now that formal studies are being published.

There was a suggestion this may have been why children and their parents were initially less badly affected. Schools being a breeding ground for diseases, which then get recirculated around families. However, older people tend to try to avoid illness and can be more socially isolated, so hadn't had the right type of cold.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The common cold could offer some Covid protection on 19:29 - Jan 10 with 1325 viewsHerbivore

I had a really horrible chesty cold in November and I've not caught Covid over the festive period. Coincidence? I think not.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The common cold could offer some Covid protection on 19:38 - Jan 10 with 1306 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The common cold could offer some Covid protection on 19:29 - Jan 10 by Herbivore

I had a really horrible chesty cold in November and I've not caught Covid over the festive period. Coincidence? I think not.

I'm a mucky so and so, barely ever wash my hands, covered in muck all day and haven't caught any of them....I think you could have a point.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

The common cold could offer some Covid protection on 19:56 - Jan 10 with 1276 viewsjas0999

The good news is Covid is turning very much into a cold for the vast majority of us who have been vaccinated. I still wouldn’t want to take my chances with the new variant if I hadn’t been double vaccinated with the booster.
The common cold could offer some Covid protection on 19:58 - Jan 10 with 1268 viewsjeera

The common cold could offer some Covid protection on 19:38 - Jan 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

I'm a mucky so and so, barely ever wash my hands, covered in muck all day and haven't caught any of them....I think you could have a point.

You can't catch it if no one will come near you.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The common cold could offer some Covid protection on 20:32 - Jan 10 with 1219 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The common cold could offer some Covid protection on 19:58 - Jan 10 by jeera

You can't catch it if no one will come near you.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Login to get fewer ads

The common cold could offer some Covid protection on 22:25 - Jan 10 with 1140 viewsjeera

The common cold could offer some Covid protection on 20:32 - Jan 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

Yes there's an image of young Cliff, just finished a hard day's shift in the fields.

"The silver stream is the poor man's wine".

Patronising pr**k.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The common cold could offer some Covid protection on 23:16 - Jan 10 with 1084 viewsStokieBlue

That article isn't very clear to be honest.

From the study (which was tiny so that has to be taken into account), one specific variety of common cold may have provided some protection to some people from covid.

Also quite a few caveats which weren't adjusted for such as ventilation and infectiousness of contacts and even then 50% still got covid.

It's certainly possible that some people have a T-cell response that could recognise some parts of covid and attempt to attack them and that would be excellent and could help scientists devise a better vaccine for covid and all colds (a universal one would be amazing).

As the article says though, vaccines are still the way forward. Unfortunately there will be some who just seize on this and say it's a cold as it will suit their narrative.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The common cold could offer some Covid protection on 00:57 - Jan 11 with 1026 viewstextbackup

The common cold could offer some Covid protection on 19:29 - Jan 10 by Herbivore

i think i've still got the cough i had from covid back in november. iits like it never really went away

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024