Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I’ll never get tired of Portman Rd 09:14 - Dec 30 with 1036 viewsMullet

The whole evening was decent from struggling to get a pint in the pub, to the atmosphere in the Churchmans trying to mimic the Norf at the end. I didn’t get a good look at the Beat which is the only downside but hopefully Lincoln is on.

I thought our set up was fascinating. Hladky was off his line incredibly quickly. Either he’d had a pep talk or just benefited from the break. Apart from a dodgy punch where he got no call, I thought we limited Wycombe to avoid testing him and exploiting previous weaknesses.

I said after Morecambe he looks like a modern keeper and he is decent with his feet, but I do wish we’d pick and choose short play to the CBs as Woolf showed again. The back 3 looked a lot more stretched across the back and Edmundson and Janoi getting forward was a real positive. But the difference between Penney and Burns was striking. Whether Burns is just naturally more attacking or not, it was frustrating how often Penney got beat in behind or was exposed.

With Aluko cutting in at more acute angles than Norwood from the line, it seemed they swapped at one point, but it wasn’t a proper front 3 in the sense of Bonne being the focal point and the other two being wingers or tucked in behind with a free role.

The middle two were much more positive but I did wonder if we lacked confidence to shoot, or we were determined to pull them out of position with so many passes wide. It was funny our goal came from a move that was a bit scrappy in places but fact Bonne, Norwood and Chaplin all had clean breaks on goal in the second half was good.

There was a real buzz about despite any Covid dampener or a sense of uncertainty about the new manager. I don’t have much hope left for this season but building something might be a decent consolation prize.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

I’ll never get tired of Portman Rd on 09:56 - Dec 30 with 840 viewsSteve_M

I enjoyed last night, a really competitive match against a good Wycombe team. They are still cynical, but seem to have toned the gamesmanship down from a couple of seasons ago, more than that they were quick and direct on the ball.

To limit them to so few chances, one good one and a couple of shots from distance, was impressive. As against Sunderland, we had players in position to cover for minor mistakes and defenders getting beaten.

Watching central defenders, all three of them in one move, bringing the ball into space was good to see too, helped keep us on the front foot and was a good sign for what might be to come against weaker sides. Some good attacking play again but we know we can do that it was direct too rather than the endless passing the ball around in front of the defence we saw quite often under Cook.

Decent performances all round, albeit with some lesser moments but I would also say that having been really critical of Evans this season, I thought he had a good game last night, much more forward looking than the timid sideways player he has done a bit too much of this season.

Not the same sense of euphoria as after the away game at Wycombe but this looks more like something we can build on. I really hope we play Saturday still, good chance for back to back wins early on.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I’ll never get tired of Portman Rd on 13:37 - Dec 30 with 592 viewsMullet

I’ll never get tired of Portman Rd on 09:56 - Dec 30 by Steve_M

I enjoyed last night, a really competitive match against a good Wycombe team. They are still cynical, but seem to have toned the gamesmanship down from a couple of seasons ago, more than that they were quick and direct on the ball.

To limit them to so few chances, one good one and a couple of shots from distance, was impressive. As against Sunderland, we had players in position to cover for minor mistakes and defenders getting beaten.

Watching central defenders, all three of them in one move, bringing the ball into space was good to see too, helped keep us on the front foot and was a good sign for what might be to come against weaker sides. Some good attacking play again but we know we can do that it was direct too rather than the endless passing the ball around in front of the defence we saw quite often under Cook.

Decent performances all round, albeit with some lesser moments but I would also say that having been really critical of Evans this season, I thought he had a good game last night, much more forward looking than the timid sideways player he has done a bit too much of this season.

Not the same sense of euphoria as after the away game at Wycombe but this looks more like something we can build on. I really hope we play Saturday still, good chance for back to back wins early on.

I’m absolutely gutted not to go again Saturday. I knew they’d bottle it but hoped the league would do something about it. The chance to build momentum going is annoying, however Gillingham the week after is a good barometer of what he can do in the short term.

If we see more positive changes by then it will strengthen the optimism at least.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024