Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes - doesnt deserve the profile really does it 11:41 - Dec 19 with 861 viewsGeefunk

In Australia is a total non event. Sporting equivalent of Man City V Ipswich.

So why am i soooooooooooo angry
Ashes - doesnt deserve the profile really does it on 11:44 - Dec 19 with 831 viewsjeera

Really? That surprises me.

I've only been there once but the Ashes were on at the time and although I couldn't have cared less it felt like every Aussie I met was obsessed with it.

Edit: misunderstood you by looks of things.
[Post edited 19 Dec 2021 13:27]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Ashes - doesnt deserve the profile really does it on 12:05 - Dec 19 with 748 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Ashes - doesnt deserve the profile really does it on 11:44 - Dec 19 by jeera

I've only been there once but the Ashes were on at the time and although I couldn't have cared less it felt like every Aussie I met was obsessed with it.

I think England's continued inability to make a contest of it has led to tbe apathy. Wevwr won what, one series over there in how many years? And tbe last few, 4 nil, 5 nil. Even the aussies want to see a contest

ECB must stop marginalising the red ball game at County level.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Ashes - doesnt deserve the profile really does it on 12:06 - Dec 19 with 747 viewsIPS_wich

Ashes - doesnt deserve the profile really does it on 11:44 - Dec 19 by jeera

No idea where the OP is coming from. I’ve lived down under for 8 years and it’s huge.

The Australian captain is revered and out in a higher pedestal than any equivalent I can think of in the uk. It commands the back 3-4 pages of the newspaper everyday during each match and is the biggest sporting event of the year
Ashes - doesnt deserve the profile really does it on 12:12 - Dec 19 with 734 viewsWacko

Ashes - doesnt deserve the profile really does it on 12:06 - Dec 19 by IPS_wich

No idea where the OP is coming from. I’ve lived down under for 8 years and it’s huge.

The Australian captain is revered and out in a higher pedestal than any equivalent I can think of in the uk. It commands the back 3-4 pages of the newspaper everyday during each match and is the biggest sporting event of the year

I think the OP is saying that the current disparity in ability, plus the fact that we never win in Australia, is making this particular Ashes a non-event

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Ashes - doesnt deserve the profile really does it on 12:18 - Dec 19 with 712 viewsChrisd

Not currently, we just aren’t competitive against them in their own conditions, but this has been like that in the main for most series in Oz in recent times. I don’t mind losing, but it is the manner of it for me, we rolled over in the 1st test and we did it in the first innings here. Clearly, Australia are the far superior side, but they aren’t anything great. They’d probably get more competition from sides like Bangladesh or Afghanistan and that’s the sad truth of it all. I mentioned this yesterday, if we get totally humiliated here that might actually get the ECB to pull their finger out about the longer version of the game.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Ashes - doesnt deserve the profile really does it on 12:33 - Dec 19 with 677 viewsstonojnr

Ashes - doesnt deserve the profile really does it on 12:06 - Dec 19 by IPS_wich

exactly, cricketers in Oz are held up in the same way Premier League/England footballers are in the UK.

they are on billboards and posters everywhere, pop up in tv adverts (and not just the hair clinic ones) which can get quite surreal if you are watching a game on the tv and it goes to an ad break and the players in the game are advertising weetabix or something, but they are nationally recognised almost as celebrities.

and they are obsessed about the Ashes, its on the tv in every bar you go in, if you get clocked as a Brit theyll spend 10mins telling you why your team are rubbish and why bodyline was the worst thing England have ever done in history, if they think you are an Aussie, theyll spend 20mins telling you why Mike Hussey was rubbish.

they love winning, they love beating the poms & they hate losing.

they are more than enjoying this.

remember how many of them turned up to watch England retain the Ashes in Melbourne 10 years ago when we gave them a contest, the only people in the ground were the Barmies.
Ashes - doesnt deserve the profile really does it on 12:53 - Dec 19 with 625 viewsjeera

Ashes - doesnt deserve the profile really does it on 12:05 - Dec 19 by BlueandTruesince82

I think England's continued inability to make a contest of it has led to tbe apathy. Wevwr won what, one series over there in how many years? And tbe last few, 4 nil, 5 nil. Even the aussies want to see a contest

ECB must stop marginalising the red ball game at County level.

I don't follow cricket but do think that 'Wevwr' should become a recognised Suffolk word.

I can imagine some old yokel mumbling that to bewildered visitors who have stopped for directions after finding themselves out near Bungay somewhere.

Ashes - doesnt deserve the profile really does it on 13:03 - Dec 19 with 586 viewsIpswichKnight

Aussies would hammer both Bangladesh and Afghanistan, they bowled out India for 36 in Adelaide last year ( we’ve not managed that…..yet ).

Picking the same bowling attack that got us hammered last time was really dumb! However with both Stone and Archer injured not sure what else to do! We don’t have many others bowlers capable of hitting 90mph ( one who played in the Covid 3rd team odi v Pakistan also got injured). Lack of a quality spinner has also done us over and the ecb need to wear that. Got to start playing county matches in June/July/August again even if it means competing against the hundred.
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes - doesnt deserve the profile really does it on 13:08 - Dec 19 with 568 viewsXYZ

Ashes - doesnt deserve the profile really does it on 13:03 - Dec 19 by IpswichKnight

Aussies would hammer both Bangladesh and Afghanistan, they bowled out India for 36 in Adelaide last year ( we’ve not managed that…..yet ).

Picking the same bowling attack that got us hammered last time was really dumb! However with both Stone and Archer injured not sure what else to do! We don’t have many others bowlers capable of hitting 90mph ( one who played in the Covid 3rd team odi v Pakistan also got injured). Lack of a quality spinner has also done us over and the ecb need to wear that. Got to start playing county matches in June/July/August again even if it means competing against the hundred.

Bowled India out for 36 and then lost the series against a much-depleted India side.

This aussie team is still a work-in-progress.

You are correct about red ball domestic cricket in England, though. Shamefully neglected for hit-and-giggle stuff.

Impossible to develop a decent spinner when most games are in April, May and September.
Ashes - doesnt deserve the profile really does it on 13:24 - Dec 19 with 530 viewsSteve_M

I think you're all misreading the OP, he's annoyed that, for the third time in a row, England are basically not putting up any challenge in an overseas Ashes series. Which is certainly my view too.

The ECB are going to struggle to keep hyping it whilst they continue to neglect red ball cricket.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Ashes - doesnt deserve the profile really does it on 13:27 - Dec 19 with 517 viewsjeera

Ashes - doesnt deserve the profile really does it on 13:24 - Dec 19 by Steve_M

I think you're all misreading the OP, he's annoyed that, for the third time in a row, England are basically not putting up any challenge in an overseas Ashes series. Which is certainly my view too.

The ECB are going to struggle to keep hyping it whilst they continue to neglect red ball cricket.

Yes you are right, I completely misread it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024