Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Someone made an important point.... 15:47 - Aug 18 with 1232 viewsunstableblue

... we just need to try and scrape, bundle, fluke 3 points on Saturday, a fan inspired smash and grab to get a win at all costs!

Who cares what it looks like

But again MK Dons will be a nightmare

Following that hopeful 3 points Cook can then get a FULL week of work into the completed squad on the training ground ahead of Wimbledon.. this is going to be really valuable.. and starts to mean there is little excuse not to realise 3 points from that game (albeit Wimbledon have 1 win and 2 draws)

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Someone made an important point.... on 15:52 - Aug 18 with 1193 viewssaffers12

That is my thinking
Someone made an important point.... on 16:11 - Aug 18 with 1132 viewsParsley

Might be tricky, like playing Barcelona apparently
Someone made an important point.... on 16:12 - Aug 18 with 1123 viewsBluefish

The same was said under Hurst

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Someone made an important point.... on 16:13 - Aug 18 with 1122 viewsNthsuffolkblue

My thinking was that we really needed to get 3 points last night and then kick on from there.

Now I just want us to hurry up and get the first win under our belts. The manner of that second half mauling last night hurts.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Someone made an important point.... on 16:15 - Aug 18 with 1111 viewsStenvict

I worry that Cook is putting more emphasis on playing entertaining football rather than effective football. Piggott won a lot in the air last night, but we refused to cross it for him, opting to pass sideways instead, trying to score the perfect goal.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Someone made an important point.... on 16:18 - Aug 18 with 1083 viewsOsborneOneNil

Someone made an important point.... on 16:13 - Aug 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

My thinking was that we really needed to get 3 points last night and then kick on from there.

Now I just want us to hurry up and get the first win under our belts. The manner of that second half mauling last night hurts.

I went to the game CONVINVED we would win last night. Great start, a worry when Bonne misses, still buzzing at 60 mins. Then the all too common 'oh fvck it'.
Someone made an important point.... on 16:21 - Aug 18 with 1069 viewsKeaneish

I don't think we're at that stage yet. We've been easily good enough in spells to have 9 points. At times we look like strangers, which we are and at other times we've either been too complacent or naive.

More streetwise and better concentration i'd say are the missing ingredients at the moment.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Someone made an important point.... on 16:25 - Aug 18 with 1046 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Someone made an important point.... on 16:21 - Aug 18 by Keaneish

I don't think we're at that stage yet. We've been easily good enough in spells to have 9 points. At times we look like strangers, which we are and at other times we've either been too complacent or naive.

More streetwise and better concentration i'd say are the missing ingredients at the moment.

There is a large degree to which this is about gelling and playing as a team.

However, there is also a tactical element. The second half last night, Cheltenham beat us due to their tactical use of the players they had and by preventing us using ours.

My fear is that Cook succeeded with Richardson. Does he have someone with the same skill set doing that role now? I desperately hope he does but some of fears that this is the problem. Keane without Sbragia, Lambert without Culverhouse and now Cook without Richardson. MM worked and he had Connor with him. OK Hurst didn't work out and he did come with Doig but there were other reasons there.

Login to get fewer ads

Someone made an important point.... on 16:31 - Aug 18 with 1010 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Someone made an important point.... on 16:25 - Aug 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

However, there is also a tactical element. The second half last night, Cheltenham beat us due to their tactical use of the players they had and by preventing us using ours.

My fear is that Cook succeeded with Richardson. Does he have someone with the same skill set doing that role now? I desperately hope he does but some of fears that this is the problem. Keane without Sbragia, Lambert without Culverhouse and now Cook without Richardson. MM worked and he had Connor with him. OK Hurst didn't work out and he did come with Doig but there were other reasons there.

From cooks comments last night I think the new game plan will just be;

Get the ball to Edwards and hope he can work some magic.

Edwards looks great, but that could become one dimensional and easy to stop.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Someone made an important point.... on 16:32 - Aug 18 with 1007 viewsCokeIsKey

Realistically have we ever looked better after having a week to train between games with Cook? Normally the players come back looking less coached than they did before, it's always really dissapointing.

Poll: Should Lambert continue as the Ipswich Town manager?

Someone made an important point.... (n/t) on 16:36 - Aug 18 with 986 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 16:37]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Someone made an important point.... on 16:42 - Aug 18 with 956 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Someone made an important point.... on 16:31 - Aug 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

From cooks comments last night I think the new game plan will just be;

Get the ball to Edwards and hope he can work some magic.

Edwards looks great, but that could become one dimensional and easy to stop.

From what I saw last night, we have plenty of creativity without relying solely on Edwards. His comment was fine in that Edwards had looked great for much of the first half but then hardly touched the ball in the second.

However, the question should be more why didn't we get the ball to Edwards, Bonne or Pigott in the second half like we did in the first? What changed. You can bet it was something Cheltenham did differently but what was it and why couldn't Cook counter it on the night? That is what effective football management is about.

One thing I can tell you is that Cheltenham spotted how vulnerable we were to the long throw and made a point of earning throw-ins. That was not difficult for them at all. How else did they keep our attacking players out of the game second half? We need to learn lessons from this and improve.

Someone made an important point.... on 17:10 - Aug 18 with 895 viewsKeaneish

Someone made an important point.... on 16:25 - Aug 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

Agree. That's my biggest concern too. Why didn't Cook change it last night? Bewildering really. At 60 minutes i was looking at him and he had everyone warming up and then nothing...

It's really odd. He's very seasoned so i don't get the naivety.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Someone made an important point.... on 17:14 - Aug 18 with 873 viewsstopmoaning

Against MK Barcelona?! No chance.
Someone made an important point.... on 17:44 - Aug 18 with 812 viewsGarv

A win would be a huge boost but we're not at desperate panic stations yet. We shouldn't be abandoning all our ideas and philosophies because we've had a bad start after three games.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Someone made an important point.... on 17:54 - Aug 18 with 772 views44_not_out

This is the issue though. In the opinion of many, it’s the style over the result. It’s like we have to be Man City or Barcelona

In truth, I’d take 43 scrappy wins to get out of this god forsaken league

Just start winning and stop worrying what it looks like.

I bet there were few Cheltenham fans walking out of the ground moaning about their performance that is based around getting the ball into wide areas, to win throw ins. Fair play to them I say.
Someone made an important point.... on 18:07 - Aug 18 with 730 viewsistanblue

Worrying about MK Dons at home. Says everything you need to know about the utter state of where we are.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024