Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval 12:07 - Nov 16 with 2601 viewsStokieBlue

Results from phase 3 (although looks like a smaller phase 3) are slightly better than the Pfizer vaccine (94%) and it's based on a similar mRDA process. It can be stored at much higher temperatures than the Pfizer vaccine which is great, however the cost is a lot higher - perhaps as much as 15x higher.

Still, good to see progress being made on multiple difference vaccine candidates.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/16/moderna-covid-vaccine-candidate-al

On side-effects:

"The company said it had found no significant safety concerns, with most reactions being mild to moderate and short-lived. Among the side effects reported were injection site pain in 2.7% of trial volunteers after the first jab. After the second, the most significant side effects included fatigue in 9.7%, muscle pain in 9% and joint pain in 5%. Others had headaches, other pains, or redness at the injection site."

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 12:14 - Nov 16 with 1946 viewshomer_123

Saw a good quote on Vaccines last night, to paraphrase:

"Vaccines are so good now, all you see are the side effects."

Also, I saw someone mention the fact that, next to clean water, vaccines are the second biggest reason the general health and longevity of life has improved and increased so much in recent years.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 12:27 - Nov 16 with 1908 viewsGuthrum

The storage temperature issue is the biggest problem with the Pfizer vaccine. Makes distribution extremely difficult.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The Oxford lot need to..... on 12:32 - Nov 16 with 1890 viewsBloots

....pull their fingers out.

Embarrassing the nation like this.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:01 - Nov 16 with 1815 viewshype313

Hancock not ruling out mandatory vaccinations either.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:10 - Nov 16 with 1791 viewsTractorWood

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 12:27 - Nov 16 by Guthrum

The storage temperature issue is the biggest problem with the Pfizer vaccine. Makes distribution extremely difficult.

Agree. Moderna's looks 4.5% more effective which is massive across global populations and can be handled a lot easier.

Hopefully Oxford/AZs is 99% and included in Amazon prime.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:11 - Nov 16 with 1788 viewshomer_123

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:01 - Nov 16 by hype313

Hancock not ruling out mandatory vaccinations either.

I'm all for vaccines but even I'm thinking that might be a touch heavy handed?

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:15 - Nov 16 with 1776 viewsStokieBlue

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:10 - Nov 16 by TractorWood

Agree. Moderna's looks 4.5% more effective which is massive across global populations and can be handled a lot easier.

Hopefully Oxford/AZs is 99% and included in Amazon prime.

It's 15 times the price of the Pfizer one though so there are pros and cons. I would also think there is a good chance of both vaccines effectiveness being a bit lower than initial testing. For comparison flu vaccines are at most 60% effective.

Governments were hoping for anything above 75% I believe.

The main takeaway is that there are a number of high potential vaccines all coming to fruition which is excellent news.

SB

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:20 - Nov 16 with 1765 viewsStokieBlue

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:11 - Nov 16 by homer_123

Yes but there could certainly be an argument from restricting unvaccinated people from large gatherings (football, indoors in pubs etc) and from international travel.

It perhaps seems draconian and totalitarian but in the end, those refusing to get vaccinated because of a perceived but totally unproven risk based on false equivalences to historic events are expecting other people to take the risks for them so they can get the benefit.

Perhaps they shouldn't get the benefit if they are willing to outsource all the "risk" to others.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:22 - Nov 16 with 1761 viewshype313

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:11 - Nov 16 by homer_123

Yep, although I doubt it will be made mandatory, but want to go on holiday? Glastonbury? Large sporting events? then you might need the Covid passport...

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:33 - Nov 16 with 1731 viewshomer_123

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:20 - Nov 16 by StokieBlue

Yes but there could certainly be an argument from restricting unvaccinated people from large gatherings (football, indoors in pubs etc) and from international travel.

It perhaps seems draconian and totalitarian but in the end, those refusing to get vaccinated because of a perceived but totally unproven risk based on false equivalences to historic events are expecting other people to take the risks for them so they can get the benefit.

Perhaps they shouldn't get the benefit if they are willing to outsource all the "risk" to others.

SB

Yeah - this will be the 'positioning' piece on it - for sure. I can see the rationale for it - there's certainly a 'strong' case for it.

It just doesn't sit quite right - that's all.

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:43 - Nov 16 with 1707 viewshype313

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:33 - Nov 16 by homer_123

Yeah - this will be the 'positioning' piece on it - for sure. I can see the rationale for it - there's certainly a 'strong' case for it.

It just doesn't sit quite right - that's all.

Agreed.

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:45 - Nov 16 with 1704 viewsElderGrizzly

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:15 - Nov 16 by StokieBlue

It's 15 times the price of the Pfizer one though so there are pros and cons. I would also think there is a good chance of both vaccines effectiveness being a bit lower than initial testing. For comparison flu vaccines are at most 60% effective.

Governments were hoping for anything above 75% I believe.

The main takeaway is that there are a number of high potential vaccines all coming to fruition which is excellent news.

SB

The main issue is we haven't ordered any at all and refused to be part of the EU order.

Apparently we are now in 'discussions' to get some. Which will fail of course.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2020 13:47]
Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:47 - Nov 16 with 1687 viewsStokieBlue

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:45 - Nov 16 by ElderGrizzly

The main issue is we haven't ordered any at all and refused to be part of the EU order.

That is far from ideal but given the price it's likely some of the other vaccines which are not far away now will be more cost effective.

Really we should've had orders in for all of them but given our leaders it's really not surprising that we don't.

SB

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:48 - Nov 16 with 1673 viewsElderGrizzly

SB

There is a very good chance having the vaccine will become mandatory for entry into most countries in the world.

A lot of discussion within Governments worldwide right now to take it in that direction
Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:49 - Nov 16 with 1671 viewsStokieBlue

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:48 - Nov 16 by ElderGrizzly

There is a very good chance having the vaccine will become mandatory for entry into most countries in the world.

A lot of discussion within Governments worldwide right now to take it in that direction

Good.

I honestly hope that comes to pass. I am fed up of people outsourcing their perceived risk onto others and expecting to get the benefits.

By this people can read that I am fed up with anti-vax in general.

SB
[Post edited 16 Nov 2020 13:52]

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:50 - Nov 16 with 1662 viewsElderGrizzly

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:47 - Nov 16 by StokieBlue

That is far from ideal but given the price it's likely some of the other vaccines which are not far away now will be more cost effective.

Really we should've had orders in for all of them but given our leaders it's really not surprising that we don't.

SB

Right now, cost effectiveness shouldn't be the argument. The cost to the economy and to lives will far outweigh £10 or £45.
Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:51 - Nov 16 with 1657 viewsStokieBlue

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:50 - Nov 16 by ElderGrizzly

Right now, cost effectiveness shouldn't be the argument. The cost to the economy and to lives will far outweigh £10 or £45.

That's a very valid point.

Although I read it was 3 GBP and 45 GBP which is a much larger difference in the number of doses purchased for the same cost. Obviously if the transportation of Pfizer is more expensive that will balance out a it though.

SB

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:55 - Nov 16 with 1638 viewsSpruceMoose

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:49 - Nov 16 by StokieBlue

Good.

I honestly hope that comes to pass. I am fed up of people outsourcing their perceived risk onto others and expecting to get the benefits.

SB

I got your back with this one SB.

I maketh ye proper.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 14:03 - Nov 16 with 1616 viewsTractorWood

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:45 - Nov 16 by ElderGrizzly

'Discussions' of course meaning giving them every penny we have.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 14:05 - Nov 16 with 1611 viewsjaykay

SB

i am 100% for the use of vaccines but would we have to have a card or something to prove we have had it, so to fly, attend any public gathering etc

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 14:11 - Nov 16 with 1596 viewsElderGrizzly

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 14:03 - Nov 16 by TractorWood

'Discussions' of course meaning giving them every penny we have.

I just hope its not our Brexit negotiators on it. Or Chris Grayling...
Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 14:11 - Nov 16 with 1605 viewshomer_123

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 13:49 - Nov 16 by StokieBlue

Good.

SB

Vaccination is possibly one the most selfless things you can do - as you are inherently making the world a safer place for others by vaccinating yourself.

That said, stepping back from the anti-vaxxer situation - surely a healthy debate about making vaccines mandatory is sensible and necessary. Just purely because it's both foreseen and unforeseen circumstance around such decisions can have ramifications well beyond their intended means.

I'm definitely for vaccines - no question or quibble. They've made such a positive difference in the world and the evidence for that is both clear and well outweighs any risks associated with them.

I'm merely voicing that making them mandatory, for some reason, makes me nervous (not the vaccine but the potential ramifications of what that means and where it goes).
[Post edited 16 Nov 2020 14:13]

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 14:12 - Nov 16 with 1595 viewsElderGrizzly

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 14:05 - Nov 16 by jaykay

i am 100% for the use of vaccines but would we have to have a card or something to prove we have had it, so to fly, attend any public gathering etc

I do for other vaccines when travelling. This would be treated the same.
Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 14:17 - Nov 16 with 1586 viewsSpruceMoose

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 14:11 - Nov 16 by homer_123

Vaccination is possibly one the most selfless things you can do - as you are inherently making the world a safer place for others by vaccinating yourself.

That said, stepping back from the anti-vaxxer situation - surely a healthy debate about making vaccines mandatory is sensible and necessary. Just purely because it's both foreseen and unforeseen circumstance around such decisions can have ramifications well beyond their intended means.

I'm definitely for vaccines - no question or quibble. They've made such a positive difference in the world and the evidence for that is both clear and well outweighs any risks associated with them.

I'm merely voicing that making them mandatory, for some reason, makes me nervous (not the vaccine but the potential ramifications of what that means and where it goes).

Genuine question - Are they not already mandatory in some circumstances within in the UK then? In order to to move over here I had to have a whole host of vaccines. Just wondered whether there were any situations back home where it's already mandatory (certain jobs, travel, schooling etc.)

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 14:18 - Nov 16 with 1584 viewsStokieBlue

Moderna vaccine seeking FDA approval on 14:11 - Nov 16 by homer_123

I've not said they should be mandatory.

I've said that if people think they are risky but are willing to accept the benefits of herd immunity by allowing others to take that risk then perhaps they shouldn't get all the benefits of the "risk" taken by others. It's an inherently selfish position and I think we have probably all had enough of selfish positions as well as anti-vaxxers.

They are still free not to have it, they just won't be able to do some things but that is their choice. It's really not that much different to going travelling, there are a number of countries that won't let you in if you haven't had specific vaccines and you don't have the certificate to prove it:

https://practio.co.uk/travel-health/articles/vaccination-certificate

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024