Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Twtd task for the day 07:44 - Apr 13 with 2340 viewsbluelagos

Watching Sky news and the mounted officers moving people on sitting in a park sun bathing...

Your challenge, is to convince me that this is a useful way for the boys in blue to be deployed. It's not as if we don't have a reported 25% rise in domestic violence these past few weeks. Or countless other crimes that actually hurt someone.

So convince me that a couple sitting in a park, 2m from anyone else, minding their own business, no coughing etc. hey maybe even eating some food they have brought, are in anyway a problem in the fight against CV.

For the record, I am not arguing that they are not in breach of the Govt guidelines, some very clearly are. But I am of the opinion (ordinarily) that rules are there to be broken. Or to be fairer, rules should only be enforced when they actually matter.

And I genuinely don't see how two people sitting in the sun, eating, not coughing, spluttering are harming anyone. In anyway at all.

Am not looking for argument, would genuinely like to understand why some people are so outraged at such behaviour.

Try not to rely on "It's against the rules" - as I know that. I would like to understand who they are hurting, why they are being selfish, who they are endangering.

And any - they could have done x - is pure speculation and not allowed. What have they done to endanger anyone? Walked to the park, kept 2m away from anyone, sat down and enjoyed a bit of sun...

And "It's not fair" will be stored in the "arguments a 5 year old would make" category....

#Getoutside #Clearyourhead #You'llfeelbetterforit

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Twtd task for the day on 07:48 - Apr 13 with 1437 viewsMattinLondon

Think a couple seating in the park all alone poses little problem. The problem arises if everybody does the same.
Twtd task for the day on 07:48 - Apr 13 with 1434 viewsElderGrizzly

If they were asymptomatic, didn’t live together, went back to their homes, infected on average 10 other people etc etc

The sunbathing thing also encourages others to come to the park and plays down the optics of what the Government is trying to do and the message it is trying to convey.

Those are my two main reasons anyway, while I do feel for those without outside space of their own.
Twtd task for the day on 07:49 - Apr 13 with 1423 viewsbluelagos

Twtd task for the day on 07:48 - Apr 13 by ElderGrizzly

If they were asymptomatic, didn’t live together, went back to their homes, infected on average 10 other people etc etc

The sunbathing thing also encourages others to come to the park and plays down the optics of what the Government is trying to do and the message it is trying to convey.

Those are my two main reasons anyway, while I do feel for those without outside space of their own.

Let's assume they live together...

Twtd task for the day on 07:50 - Apr 13 with 1411 viewsbluelagos

Twtd task for the day on 07:48 - Apr 13 by MattinLondon

Think a couple seating in the park all alone poses little problem. The problem arises if everybody does the same.

Which I think is why some London parks rationed entry (Is that the right word?)

Twtd task for the day on 07:53 - Apr 13 with 1393 viewsElderGrizzly

Twtd task for the day on 07:49 - Apr 13 by bluelagos

See point 2.

Police are reporting most being warned in cities are not living together though.

Small scale flouting of the rules could lead to even more spread, more stringent lockdowns etc. The Government are trying to avoid it as the majority are complying, but at some point soon they will have to ‘punish’ us all.

There are many in Govt and medical community advising them who think we should have gone harsher much earlier as that is the only real way to suppress it
Twtd task for the day on 07:57 - Apr 13 with 1382 viewsbluelagos

Twtd task for the day on 07:53 - Apr 13 by ElderGrizzly

See point 2.

Police are reporting most being warned in cities are not living together though.

Small scale flouting of the rules could lead to even more spread, more stringent lockdowns etc. The Government are trying to avoid it as the majority are complying, but at some point soon they will have to ‘punish’ us all.

There are many in Govt and medical community advising them who think we should have gone harsher much earlier as that is the only real way to suppress it

So they are illicit people meeting for a chat? In that scenario what you say makes sense.

Yep, good use of police to check they are from the same address. Fair point.

Twtd task for the day on 08:19 - Apr 13 with 1341 viewsFtnfwest

A couple of minutes for (was it two?) mounted officers to move on said persons which then gets on national tv to drive the message home seems a good use of a resource. Mind you I can’t deny I’d rather they were dealing with the packs of cyclists marauding down our footpaths over the weekends, unless 6 or 7 adult males are all related and Co-habiting.
Twtd task for the day on 08:27 - Apr 13 with 1312 viewsNewcyBlue

Twtd task for the day on 08:19 - Apr 13 by Ftnfwest

A couple of minutes for (was it two?) mounted officers to move on said persons which then gets on national tv to drive the message home seems a good use of a resource. Mind you I can’t deny I’d rather they were dealing with the packs of cyclists marauding down our footpaths over the weekends, unless 6 or 7 adult males are all related and Co-habiting.

Do you live in Norfolk?

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Login to get fewer ads

Twtd task for the day on 08:28 - Apr 13 with 1303 viewsjeera

Agree. That does not need two coppers and two horses.

One bloke with a mortar gun and some gas canisters would do fine.

As others have said mate, those doing it are assuming they are the only ones who want to get out, and if everyone did the same there wouldn't be carefully spaced couples, but hoards of people sharing a space and breathing around each other.

It's selfish. All people need to show a bit of solidarity.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Twtd task for the day on 08:29 - Apr 13 with 1306 viewsFtnfwest

Twtd task for the day on 08:19 - Apr 13 by Ftnfwest

Anything would be a waste of resources there!
Twtd task for the day on 08:30 - Apr 13 with 1301 viewsFtnfwest

Twtd task for the day on 08:27 - Apr 13 by NewcyBlue

Do you live in Norfolk?

Whoops replied to myself instead of you sir. Maybe I do live in Norfolk after all! (I don’t)
Twtd task for the day on 08:51 - Apr 13 with 1253 viewsbluelagos

Twtd task for the day on 08:28 - Apr 13 by jeera

Agree. That does not need two coppers and two horses.

One bloke with a mortar gun and some gas canisters would do fine.

As others have said mate, those doing it are assuming they are the only ones who want to get out, and if everyone did the same there wouldn't be carefully spaced couples, but hoards of people sharing a space and breathing around each other.

It's selfish. All people need to show a bit of solidarity.

So, is the answer that those who live near over used parks have some sort of rationing to allow everyone to use them safely? Say - odd/even birthdays get entry on alternate days?

Allowing people to get some outside time is really important...

Twtd task for the day on 08:55 - Apr 13 with 1237 viewsAce_High1

I appreciate what you are saying but then you are trusting people to act responsibly. Unfortunately you can't rely on people being sensible. Once you start getting a few people sitting peacefully in the park, more and more will start turning up and before you know it there are football matches, BBQ's etc all going on. This is what the Government are trying to avoid.

If everyone just stayed in (wherever physically possible) then we could get through the lockdown a hell of a lot quicker. Whilst people still bend the rules to suit them (I include employers here as well) we will keep rolling on week after week like we are.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2020 9:03]
Twtd task for the day on 08:58 - Apr 13 with 1219 viewsjeera

Twtd task for the day on 08:51 - Apr 13 by bluelagos

So, is the answer that those who live near over used parks have some sort of rationing to allow everyone to use them safely? Say - odd/even birthdays get entry on alternate days?

Raffle style tickets maybe.

Dunno. But honestly I'm struggling with this one.

It shouldn't be a massive sacrifice to stay home for several weeks.

But yes, families with young children I get, some people who turn on their own families and aren't coping.

Look at the poverty around the globe. You know only too well from your own experiences. And we can't deal with a few weeks of modern life's trappings in and around our own homes.

I think we're spoilt (as a collective) and it's showing.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Twtd task for the day on 09:03 - Apr 13 with 1213 viewsPinewoodblue

Twtd task for the day on 07:57 - Apr 13 by bluelagos

So they are illicit people meeting for a chat? In that scenario what you say makes sense.

Yep, good use of police to check they are from the same address. Fair point.

The thing to remember is after a couple leave the park bench another couple will take their place, then another and so on

Just one infected person could pass it on a dozen others who put their hands on anything the first bench sitter touched.

It is an easy rule to understand. Not so easy to understand why people feel the need to try and bend the rules to suit them.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Twtd task for the day on 09:09 - Apr 13 with 1185 viewsm14_blue

Twtd task for the day on 07:48 - Apr 13 by ElderGrizzly

Exactly this, the reason these people are able to sit and enjoy the sunshine in relative isolation is that most other people are following the rules and staying in.

If you allow them to continue, either explicitly or implicitly, then of course everyone else will wonder why they should bother.

Added to that, they’ll be touching benches, bins, gates etc.

It does seem ridiculous but this is a ridiculous situation. People should just follow the guidelines and not look to bend them as far as possible.

Although I should add that I don’t see any problem with BL’s bike rides!
Twtd task for the day on 09:40 - Apr 13 with 1121 viewsr2d2

People have a herd mentality. If one does it, others copy. Thats where the problem arises. So they have to be moved on to stop others copying.
Twtd task for the day on 09:42 - Apr 13 with 1115 viewsr2d2

Twtd task for the day on 07:49 - Apr 13 by bluelagos

Stop assuming. It is what it is. Get used to it.
Twtd task for the day on 09:45 - Apr 13 with 1104 viewsr2d2

1 hour is reasonable exercise they keep telling us. That should be a good enough rationing. Not 20 mile bike rides, 10 mile hikes, 18 mile runs. Never seen so many people with backpacks on. Utterly ridiculous.
Twtd task for the day on 10:18 - Apr 13 with 1091 viewsGuthrum

It seems that, possibly due to lack of precise guidelines*, the police have in some areas been going beyond their remit (e.g. sealing off certain aisles in supermarkets as "non essential").

Tho, on the other hand, staying outside (e.g. sunbathing, as opposed to going outside briefly for a bit of excercise) is against the spirit of the lockdown. Also, the more time spent in other people's general vicinity increases the chances of exposure to infection. Especially given some recent studies suggesting that clouds of droplets may carry further and last longer in the air than previously thought - particularly those produced by people vigourously excercising. In other words, 2m separation may not be enough.

* That would be a Home Office matter.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2020 10:25]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Twtd task for the day on 10:43 - Apr 13 with 1055 viewseireblue

Hmmmm, maybe a mathematical problem.

What would be the most amount of people that could benefit form an open space, whilst staying 2 meters apart.

Static people occupying a space for X hours, or walkers wondering through for Y minutes.

Could the people being static be characterised as a case of hoarding space.
Twtd task for the day on 11:33 - Apr 13 with 1016 viewsRyorry

What's also struck me about these various mounted police officers working in pairs, is that they are *never* at least 2m apart!

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Twtd task for the day on 11:39 - Apr 13 with 1001 viewsnodge_blue

Because the next thing is everyone is sitting in the park. All saying they are so why cant we. Then you have a mass gathering with little to no social distancing. Then you risk more infections and a NHS that is overwhelmed.

Outside is now for brief exercise.

Its quite simple really.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Twtd task for the day on 11:44 - Apr 13 with 974 viewspointofblue

I agree - but people don’t have to sit down outside. Walking through the available space (or running, jogging, cycling, skateboarding) is fine as long as within remit.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Twtd task for the day on 11:46 - Apr 13 with 971 viewsFtnfwest

Twtd task for the day on 11:33 - Apr 13 by Ryorry

What's also struck me about these various mounted police officers working in pairs, is that they are *never* at least 2m apart!

Nor the endless videos of NHS cleaners dancing around
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024