Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Foodbanks at Christmas 18:51 - Dec 9 with 531 viewsMullet

We did a collection on Friday at work, and bless our kids even the ones with very little brought in stuff. However, the charity can't pick it up until later this week because they have been inundated with donations relative to their size.

Does that show that people are just more charity focused this time of year and food banks are the latest trend because of the media? I was thinking about it earlier and I can't work out if the news coverage such as there being more of them than McD's and Burger King combined has caught the imagination or not.

Conversely they really struggle in the summer, and that's the greatest time of need. Kids not fed properly for six weeks and a lack of donations apparently means it's a real problem. Whoever wins this election, stuff like that has to be more visible and sorted out doesn't it?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Foodbanks at Christmas on 19:03 - Dec 9 with 510 viewsjeera

Interesting observation about the summer holidays and I shall remember that period more so in future.

Also nice to hear how thoughtful the children are, showing some compassion for other people.

How some adults could learn from that.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Foodbanks at Christmas on 19:07 - Dec 9 with 505 viewsMullet

Foodbanks at Christmas on 19:03 - Dec 9 by jeera

Interesting observation about the summer holidays and I shall remember that period more so in future.

Also nice to hear how thoughtful the children are, showing some compassion for other people.

How some adults could learn from that.

There's a girl in my form group who really emphasised the ludicrous nature of a country like ours needing to have foodbanks. Immigrant family via Italy. She's tiny for her age and had a broken arm. Walked to school with a bag full of tins massive smile on her face and she hasn't had the best of lives herself.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Foodbanks at Christmas on 19:28 - Dec 9 with 466 viewsHARRY10

Foodbanks at Christmas on 19:07 - Dec 9 by Mullet

There's a girl in my form group who really emphasised the ludicrous nature of a country like ours needing to have foodbanks. Immigrant family via Italy. She's tiny for her age and had a broken arm. Walked to school with a bag full of tins massive smile on her face and she hasn't had the best of lives herself.

I think the seeming 'abundance' at this time of year does make folk wonder why is it not available to all..

We have drones that can place bombs with pin point accuracy, but not put food in the stomachs of the starving.

Folk need to question why in a society where up to a third of food is wasted we have so many on need of food. It is not a lack of food, but a lack of ability to access that food. Much as in Ethopia in 1984 and Ireland in the 1850's.

But tread careful Mr Mullet, and pay heed to these words

“When I fed the poor, they called me a saint. When I asked ‘Why are they poor?’ they called me a communist.”
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024