Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm sure this message will succeed. 12:54 - Aug 19 with 1240 viewsBlueBadger

A man who's spent the last 3 years telling us to ignore facts, evidence and experts telling people to listen to experts. A man who's flagship policy will likely cause serious shortages and delays in obtaining what he claims he wants people to take up..
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49393279
[Post edited 19 Aug 2019 12:56]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I'm sure this message will succeed. on 14:40 - Aug 19 with 1110 viewsOldsmoker

Those experts are HIS experts, probably funded by vested interests, and not those pesky other experts who are independent and don't have a political agenda.
I know who I'd heed - the independents - even though their findings are classified as fake news/project fear.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

I'm sure this message will succeed. on 14:49 - Aug 19 with 1080 viewsStokieBlue

All true.

However lets hope people do listen to him this time, a sensible person takes everything on merit not history, however that doesn't seem to be the norm anymore.

Social media is specifically to blame for the spread of measles, it gives people a platform to peddle lies to the masses that just wasn't there before.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

I'm sure this message will succeed. on 15:05 - Aug 19 with 1009 viewsBlueBadger

I'm sure this message will succeed. on 14:40 - Aug 19 by Oldsmoker

Those experts are HIS experts, probably funded by vested interests, and not those pesky other experts who are independent and don't have a political agenda.
I know who I'd heed - the independents - even though their findings are classified as fake news/project fear.

Interestingly enough, in this case, the flagbearer for the 'independents', one Andrew Wakefield was funed by an exceptionally vested interest.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

I'm sure this message will succeed. on 15:07 - Aug 19 with 1001 viewsBlueBadger

I'm sure this message will succeed. on 14:49 - Aug 19 by StokieBlue

All true.

However lets hope people do listen to him this time, a sensible person takes everything on merit not history, however that doesn't seem to be the norm anymore.

Social media is specifically to blame for the spread of measles, it gives people a platform to peddle lies to the masses that just wasn't there before.

SB

This has been coming since before social media was A Thing. The British Press with their fact-free scaremongering, started all this off long before the internet got going with it.

I'm sure this message will succeed. on 15:10 - Aug 19 with 992 viewsStokieBlue

I'm sure this message will succeed. on 15:07 - Aug 19 by BlueBadger

This has been coming since before social media was A Thing. The British Press with their fact-free scaremongering, started all this off long before the internet got going with it.

I agree to an extent but it simply wasn't possible to push fake claims to people with regularity and reliability before social media.

The sheer volume and persuasiveness that can be automated via social media could never be match by the press. For instance, they wouldn't be able to post poor studies or fake claims directly to your personal screen/timeline/email.

It would be interesting to see a graph detailing the rise of measles and anti-vax in general vs increase usage of social media. I would be astonished if there wasn't a high correlation.

SB
[Post edited 19 Aug 2019 15:11]

I'm sure this message will succeed. on 15:19 - Aug 19 with 962 viewsDarth_Koont

I'm sure this message will succeed. on 15:10 - Aug 19 by StokieBlue

I agree to an extent but it simply wasn't possible to push fake claims to people with regularity and reliability before social media.

The sheer volume and persuasiveness that can be automated via social media could never be match by the press. For instance, they wouldn't be able to post poor studies or fake claims directly to your personal screen/timeline/email.

It would be interesting to see a graph detailing the rise of measles and anti-vax in general vs increase usage of social media. I would be astonished if there wasn't a high correlation.

SB
[Post edited 19 Aug 2019 15:11]

Hmmm. That's not really true, certainly regarding Europe where the press has predominantly been pumping out anti-EU propaganda and lies for decades.

People double down on them and make them worse with social media but that's balanced somewhat by people being able to get much more educated about the EU now which wasn't possible before with an anti-EU or at best passive media and politicians framing the discussion.

Pronouns: He/Him

I'm sure this message will succeed. on 15:24 - Aug 19 with 940 viewsStokieBlue

I'm sure this message will succeed. on 15:19 - Aug 19 by Darth_Koont

Hmmm. That's not really true, certainly regarding Europe where the press has predominantly been pumping out anti-EU propaganda and lies for decades.

People double down on them and make them worse with social media but that's balanced somewhat by people being able to get much more educated about the EU now which wasn't possible before with an anti-EU or at best passive media and politicians framing the discussion.

I disagree.

There is a world of difference between reporting what you term as propaganda on a service and sending specifically targeting material to people. The second is more likely to hit home over a short space of time in my opinion.

It's also a totally different type of subject, the EU is an large organisation and vast subject. Anti-vax is a specific and narrow subject which can seem to effect and individual and their children directly hence the ease at which fake news can take hold.

I'm not sure why you decided to bring up something like the EU when it's nothing like what we were discussing. Not every debate has to revert back to the EU and Brexit.

SB
[Post edited 19 Aug 2019 15:25]

I'm sure this message will succeed. on 15:28 - Aug 19 with 926 viewsCoachRob

UNICEF says 527,000 UK kids missed their first jab (2010-17). It then goes on list a whole range of reasons as to why; access, poor health systems, complacency and scepticism/fear.
As per usual we get the "economist's view" of X causes Y, in reality things are a little more complex.
Login to get fewer ads

I'm sure this message will succeed. on 15:44 - Aug 19 with 901 viewsBlueBadger

I'm sure this message will succeed. on 15:28 - Aug 19 by CoachRob

UNICEF says 527,000 UK kids missed their first jab (2010-17). It then goes on list a whole range of reasons as to why; access, poor health systems, complacency and scepticism/fear.
As per usual we get the "economist's view" of X causes Y, in reality things are a little more complex.

They are, that's why ongoing misinformation, misunderstandings and outright lies about the efficacy and safety of vaccines are a problem as well. They're just more ingredients in this rather toxic soup.

I'm sure this message will succeed. on 15:48 - Aug 19 with 883 viewsDarth_Koont

I'm sure this message will succeed. on 15:24 - Aug 19 by StokieBlue

I disagree.

There is a world of difference between reporting what you term as propaganda on a service and sending specifically targeting material to people. The second is more likely to hit home over a short space of time in my opinion.

It's also a totally different type of subject, the EU is an large organisation and vast subject. Anti-vax is a specific and narrow subject which can seem to effect and individual and their children directly hence the ease at which fake news can take hold.

I'm not sure why you decided to bring up something like the EU when it's nothing like what we were discussing. Not every debate has to revert back to the EU and Brexit.

SB
[Post edited 19 Aug 2019 15:25]

But that audience was utterly primed already.

Even many remainers thought that the EU needed sweeping reform in terms of being more democratic and less bureaucratic. But that's a Eurosceptic and fairly fringe view in the rest of Europe.

I agree that targeted campaigning through social media is potentially very dangerous but for Brexit you're only repeating the existing Express and Mail tropes to people who don't otherwise vote. Not actually coming up with a new narrative.

Edit: And I bring it up because this is what our media primes people for. The vaccination/autism scandal dates back to the last century and was given far too much credence by the mass media.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2019 15:53]

Pronouns: He/Him

I'm sure this message will succeed. on 16:13 - Aug 19 with 812 viewsBugs

https://newsthump.com/2019/08/19/why-arent-parents-listening-to-expert-advice-on
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024