Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone watching the Tour de France? 16:04 - Jul 26 with 1499 viewsartsbossbeard

What an ending!!

Major tears & major exit earlier too.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Anyone watching the Tour de France? on 16:05 - Jul 26 with 1494 viewsStokieBlue

That is a totally bonkers storm. Weather is all over the place at the moment.

Landslide and having to use a digger to clear the hail stones - they didn't really have much choice, someone would have died descending into that stuff.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Anyone watching the Tour de France? on 16:11 - Jul 26 with 1465 viewsJeanManuelThetis

Huge drama! It was an amazing race even before the weather. Felt for Pinot before that. And it'll be fascinating tomorrow to see if Thomas will allow Bernal to win and whether it's all over for Alaphilippe
Anyone watching the Tour de France? on 16:12 - Jul 26 with 1454 viewsartsbossbeard

Anyone watching the Tour de France? on 16:11 - Jul 26 by JeanManuelThetis

Huge drama! It was an amazing race even before the weather. Felt for Pinot before that. And it'll be fascinating tomorrow to see if Thomas will allow Bernal to win and whether it's all over for Alaphilippe

Exactly!

Tomorrow is going to be ace viewing.

Damn you Cambridge (a)

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Anyone watching the Tour de France? on 17:10 - Jul 26 with 1350 viewsOldsmoker

Best tour this century.
Bernal had just gone over Col de l'Iseran so I thought time for a p*ss.
Came back and heard "race cancelled" - disbelief!!!
It took me a few minutes to understand what had happened.
I think - all things considered - Allaphillipe has probably benefited as I think he waould have lost more time on the last climb, even though he was gaining on Thomas on the descent.
WIll Geraint play the domestique to Bernals yellow jersey in the next mountain stage? We'll know tomorrow.
The really BIG question - Will they race the final day into Paris or will it be the usual procession?
I'm hoping they'll race.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Anyone watching the Tour de France? on 17:13 - Jul 26 with 1341 viewsStokieBlue

Anyone watching the Tour de France? on 17:10 - Jul 26 by Oldsmoker

Best tour this century.
I think - all things considered - Allaphillipe has probably benefited as I think he waould have lost more time on the last climb, even though he was gaining on Thomas on the descent.
WIll Geraint play the domestique to Bernals yellow jersey in the next mountain stage? We'll know tomorrow.
The really BIG question - Will they race the final day into Paris or will it be the usual procession?
I'm hoping they'll race.

Not sure there is much Thomas can do - Bernal looks like he can just ride away from him on the climbs at the moment.

SB

Anyone watching the Tour de France? on 17:22 - Jul 26 with 1323 viewsOldsmoker

Anyone watching the Tour de France? on 17:13 - Jul 26 by StokieBlue

Not sure there is much Thomas can do - Bernal looks like he can just ride away from him on the climbs at the moment.

SB

...and todays stage wouldn't have exhausted Bernal at all.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Anyone watching the Tour de France? on 20:07 - Jul 26 with 1216 viewsTractorWood

Anyone watching the Tour de France? on 17:13 - Jul 26 by StokieBlue

SB

Agree. At 22 it's unreal. Unbelievable weather and it's been a great tour.

I did the UK Etape a few weeks ago which is a 160 km ride in the Chiltern Hills with a handful of pretty weak, categorised climbs amounting to 2,000m of climbing and I was pretty tired for a few days. These guys do 3,500km and thousands of metres of climbing in most of the 21 stages, which has minimal rest days.

The fitness of these guys is absolutely different level and finishing in itself is a feat of incredible endurance.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Anyone watching the Tour de France? on 20:10 - Jul 26 with 1206 viewsFreddies_Ears

Anyone watching the Tour de France? on 16:12 - Jul 26 by artsbossbeard

Exactly!

Tomorrow is going to be ace viewing.

Damn you Cambridge (a)

I have driven up to VT many times. That is going to be one brutal last day. And unmissable, other than I'll be at whatever the Abbey Stadium is called nowadays.
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone watching the Tour de France? on 20:10 - Jul 26 with 1206 viewsStokieBlue

Anyone watching the Tour de France? on 17:22 - Jul 26 by Oldsmoker

...and todays stage wouldn't have exhausted Bernal at all.

Possibly although he did basically the same yesterday and Thomas was hardly taking it easy. He also didn't have to ride the last 30km.

SB

Anyone watching the Tour de France? on 21:54 - Jul 26 with 1136 viewsstonojnr

Anyone watching the Tour de France? on 17:10 - Jul 26 by Oldsmoker

Best tour this century.
I'm hoping they'll race.

they dont "race" the last stage, because there is no point to doing so, its not just this thing that dont race it, its flat, its short, there isnt even any chance of crosswind to break things up.

and the team holding the yellow jersey will not allow any GC contenders to gap them to gain time, so Quick step could try to get a break for Alaphillipe as much as they like, but Ineos will just shut it down repeatedly, and all the other jersey teams will be protecting their jerseys and top ten finishes, so theyll race it and everyone will just end up arriving in a big group to Paris anyway, plus the leader doesnt have to win the stage, just get 2km from the finish, job done, theres no chance of anyone being allowed a 48 second lead on the Champs Elysee.

I mean have you not noticed that Alaphillipe has been the yellow jersey holder for the past 14 stages, because Ineos havent been able to launch Thomas or Bernal up the road and get a gap on him, because all he had to do even when he had lost the protection of his team, was stick to Thomas/Bernal like glue, which is exactly what Kruijswijk and Landa have been doing.

the way you gain time in stage races like the TdF is in time trials, on mountain stages or where theres a crosswind stage and you miss the break and cant bridge it, otherwise its like Brailsford says you are just moving chess pieces around the board
Anyone watching the Tour de France? on 05:08 - Jul 27 with 1052 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Question from a cycling novice - whilst the conditions obviously can’t be helped is it not hugely unfair to suddenly stop a stage midway through and have the positions at the time count, given that riders may have been conserving energy or pushing at certain times and get shafted as a result?

Is there not an argument the whole stage should be declared null and void and move onto the next one with the standings as at the end of the previous stage? Obviously where a stage is shortened before it starts then that’s fine as all riders know the score from the outset

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Anyone watching the Tour de France? on 12:29 - Jul 27 with 906 viewsronnyd

What with todays stage being shortened due to expected adverse weather and mudslides, i reckon it will be a 59km sprint. Can,t wait.
Anyone watching the Tour de France? on 12:49 - Jul 27 with 892 viewsBluJu

I'm in the French Alps and was up high when that storm passed through. The hail was amazing, I was worried about the car wind screen! Within minutes the road was like a river.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024