Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? 23:04 - Jun 26 with 6617 viewsWeWereZombies

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 09:06 - Jun 27 with 3840 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’d call that rare groove rather than Brit funk.

Now this is Brit funk.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 10:41 - Jun 27 with 3826 viewsBLUEBEAT

Classic Brit-Funk

Poll: W or W

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 11:14 - Jun 27 with 3812 viewsWeWereZombies

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 09:06 - Jun 27 by GlasgowBlue

Now this is Brit funk.

I'm not going to get too fussy about categories - and that bloke who breaks in at the end looks familiar, got a feeling he ain't British...

I guess this could just be classed as soul:

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 21:38 - Jun 28 with 3754 viewsWeWereZombies

Moving things Stateside:

[Post edited 28 Jun 2019 21:46]

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 22:36 - Jun 28 with 3730 viewseireblue

Funk, Time, and now Stateside, hmmm.....

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 00:03 - Jun 29 with 3707 viewsWeWereZombies

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 22:36 - Jun 28 by eireblue

Funk, Time, and now Stateside, hmmm.....

Before there was Prince there was:

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 07:58 - Jun 29 with 3670 viewsGlasgowBlue

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 11:14 - Jun 27 by WeWereZombies

I'm not going to get too fussy about categories - and that bloke who breaks in at the end looks familiar, got a feeling he ain't British...

I guess this could just be classed as soul:

Modern Soul . This is Delegation’s finest moment. Still played at soul weekenders up and down the country.

Iron Lion Zion

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 08:05 - Jun 29 with 3667 viewsBlueBoots

As you started the thread with one of the holy grails from my vinyl collection, I'll throw another one back at you...

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 08:11 - Jun 29 with 3663 viewsBlueBoots

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 00:03 - Jun 29 by WeWereZombies

Before there was Prince there was:

Prince and Rick James both released their first albums in 1978!

[Post edited 29 Jun 2019 8:12]

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 08:20 - Jun 29 with 3658 viewsWeWereZombies

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 08:05 - Jun 29 by BlueBoots

As you started the thread with one of the holy grails from my vinyl collection, I'll throw another one back at you...

Busiest bassline yet...

But its Saturday morning and I feel a bit more contemplative, so the track that got me on to my current 'mainly listening to classic soul and funk' kick:

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 08:50 - Jun 29 with 3647 viewsBlueBoots

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 08:20 - Jun 29 by WeWereZombies

Busiest bassline yet...

But its Saturday morning and I feel a bit more contemplative, so the track that got me on to my current 'mainly listening to classic soul and funk' kick:

Top tune that (and another 45 in my collection )

You want Soul? I got soul for you!

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 08:53 - Jun 29 with 3644 viewsGlasgowBlue

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 08:20 - Jun 29 by WeWereZombies

Busiest bassline yet...

You may like this one

Iron Lion Zion

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 09:05 - Jun 29 with 3638 viewsWeWereZombies

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 08:50 - Jun 29 by BlueBoots

Top tune that (and another 45 in my collection )

You want Soul? I got soul for you!

Oh nice one, and maybe I have never heard that cut. I have mainly listened to rock music over the years (a genre that blurs all over the place too) but back in the early eighties I borrowed Benson's 'Weekend In LA' double album from the Ipswich Central Library and have always liked his music ever since. Not that much that I have hunted it down though and only have 'The George Benson Collection' on CD so I know his version of a classic song but still your cut sounds so different.

Keeping things contemplative and apologies for lack of bass, been listening to a lot of Gil lately:

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 18:36 - Jun 29 with 3586 viewsjontysnut

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 09:06 - Jun 27 by GlasgowBlue

Now this is Brit funk.

There's a good programme on the BBC radio player about Britfunk which I think is still available. Whoa-oh whoa-oh whoa-ohhh..
Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 18:50 - Jun 29 with 3581 viewsBLUEBEAT

I always thought the President label needed more credit in regards to Brit-Funk.

They released some corking stuff. Often under the direction of a certain Eddy Grant...

[Post edited 29 Jun 2019 18:51]

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 22:00 - Jun 29 with 3551 viewsWeWereZombies

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 08:11 - Jun 29 by BlueBoots

Prince and Rick James both released their first albums in 1978!

[Post edited 29 Jun 2019 8:12]

Was it a case that Rick James paved the way for Prince or just that Prince eclipsed Rick James? I remember hearing about Rick James first and then never hearing about him.

Was talking about this thread today and this band were suggested:

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 22:11 - Jun 29 with 3542 viewsDarth_Koont

Inspired by the recent threads, here's the Clash getting funky and bringing in a rapper too. Last minute or so is the best part.

Pronouns: He/Him

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 22:30 - Jun 29 with 3532 viewsBlueBoots

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 09:05 - Jun 29 by WeWereZombies

Oh nice one, and maybe I have never heard that cut. I have mainly listened to rock music over the years (a genre that blurs all over the place too) but back in the early eighties I borrowed Benson's 'Weekend In LA' double album from the Ipswich Central Library and have always liked his music ever since. Not that much that I have hunted it down though and only have 'The George Benson Collection' on CD so I know his version of a classic song but still your cut sounds so different.

Keeping things contemplative and apologies for lack of bass, been listening to a lot of Gil lately:

Well worth digging through George Benson's back catalogue - plenty of gems like this to be found...

Can even find some early blues / rock n' roll tracks he recorded at the age of 9 in the mid-50s as "Little" George Benson

Very nice Gil Scott Heron video; think all I have of his in the collection is The Revolution Will Not Be Televised LP that I've shamefully not played for ages - need to rectify that!

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 13:26 - Jun 30 with 3472 viewsBlueBoots

Sun's Out!

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 13:29 - Jun 30 with 3469 viewsBLUEBEAT

More Eddy Grant... forget his reggae-pop hits, he really brought the funk post-Equals...

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 18:17 - Jun 30 with 3438 viewsWeWereZombies

I have been thinking and wondering if my current soul kick started from YouTube clips ericclacton posted of some Russians in Kiev playing very sharp but joyful Chicago covers. Which begs the question 'Is Seventies cheese actually cheesy if it is given a new lease of life on the other side of the World by seemingly enthusiastic and happy musicians?'

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 18:43 - Jun 30 with 3426 viewsGlasgowBlue

Some socially conscious soul

Iron Lion Zion

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 20:16 - Jun 30 with 3410 viewssoupytwist

Now, here's some Brit Funk -

Shout out to the poster on here who put me onto the Olympic Runners quite a few years ago. I think he went by the name 'Prof' and lived up north somewhere, maybe Sheffield. Is he still around I wonder?
Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 21:19 - Jun 30 with 3388 viewsWeWereZombies

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 20:16 - Jun 30 by soupytwist

Now, here's some Brit Funk -

Shout out to the poster on here who put me onto the Olympic Runners quite a few years ago. I think he went by the name 'Prof' and lived up north somewhere, maybe Sheffield. Is he still around I wonder?

I remember 'Prof', he was around at the same time as 'Dryad the Younger' if I recall correctly. Great track, I had forgotten about Olympic Runners - was Chris Spedding their guitarist? And Pete Wingfield their keyboard player?

I guess it is time for this - Jock Funk?

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 22:40 - Jun 30 with 3373 viewsBlueBoots

Anyone in the mood for some 70s BritFunk with Chas and Dave in the band? on 22:00 - Jun 29 by WeWereZombies

Was it a case that Rick James paved the way for Prince or just that Prince eclipsed Rick James? I remember hearing about Rick James first and then never hearing about him.

Was talking about this thread today and this band were suggested:

Sorry, somehow missed your question! They were both contemporaries, but I think Prince was a stronger songwriter and managed to win mainstream appeal by fusing / crossing-over so many genres. For me, Rick James' strongest album is probably Street Songs (Prince released Controversy in the same year), but Prince followed up with 1999 and Purple Rain which are proper classics, when Rick James was starting to collaborate more with other artists (did produce a few monsters along the way like "All Night Long" by the Mary Jane Girls!)

Adding a tune by someone who paved the way for both of them though!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024