Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow 10:03 - Jun 28 with 3940 viewsRyorry

I usually like him, but ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48794213

Not sure exactly when he said it - if immediately post-match could be just a heat of the moment reaction at losing of course.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 10:07 - Jun 28 with 3242 viewsRadlett_blue

If you look at the comments section of the BBC Sport website, for example, a good number of people seem to enjoy saying that the England cricket team is rubbish. The same thing applies to most other sports. I think Bairstow has a point, although probably one that's better left unsaid.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 10:12 - Jun 28 with 3220 viewsSteve_M

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 10:07 - Jun 28 by Radlett_blue

If you look at the comments section of the BBC Sport website, for example, a good number of people seem to enjoy saying that the England cricket team is rubbish. The same thing applies to most other sports. I think Bairstow has a point, although probably one that's better left unsaid.

Indeed, and anyone who has seen the media reaction to the England football team after most major tournaments (1990, 96 and 2018 the clear exceptions) will know exactly what Baristow means.

I don't think it applies to English cricket fans or journalists though and England's biggest problem has been underperforming in two very winnable matches.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 10:15 - Jun 28 with 3203 viewsRyorry

He was saying it about Vaughan tho, whose TMS comments were pretty mild and factual. As Vaughan said in reply, it's not the media's fault that the England team lost 3 games in this cup comp.

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 10:16 - Jun 28 with 3194 viewsMaySixth

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 10:12 - Jun 28 by Steve_M

Indeed, and anyone who has seen the media reaction to the England football team after most major tournaments (1990, 96 and 2018 the clear exceptions) will know exactly what Baristow means.

I don't think it applies to English cricket fans or journalists though and England's biggest problem has been underperforming in two very winnable matches.

Hysteria over England's last two performances has been embarassing

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 10:17 - Jun 28 with 3184 viewsXYZ

They are posts from around the world - England fans are just as active commenting about other nations.

In the full article Bairstow refers to "losing 2 games" - he'll be even angrier when he discovers they've lost 3.

If he thinks he's got it bad, he should talk to an Aussie cricketer when they've lost at home.
What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 10:21 - Jun 28 with 3143 viewsHerbivore

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 10:15 - Jun 28 by Ryorry

He was saying it about Vaughan tho, whose TMS comments were pretty mild and factual. As Vaughan said in reply, it's not the media's fault that the England team lost 3 games in this cup comp.

I don't think the England team have much time for Vaughan as a pundit. He was a great captain but he's not far off being the cricket equivalent of Chris Sutton as a pundit.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 10:29 - Jun 28 with 3134 viewsRyorry

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 10:21 - Jun 28 by Herbivore

I don't think the England team have much time for Vaughan as a pundit. He was a great captain but he's not far off being the cricket equivalent of Chris Sutton as a pundit.

That doesn't make his comments invalid though; they were actually very factual - he could hardly have been milder.

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 10:30 - Jun 28 with 3131 viewsdavblue

They need to get away from all this stuff.

Relax, and start to enjoy themselves along with thinking more about situations. You don't need to blast the ball in the stands each over, some hard running can also build momentum /change the tide of a game. Also start to play how they have done over the last 3-4 years this is all a distraction. I can't see how they will win it though, there's not a good feeling around the whole camp in the competition so far.
Login to get fewer ads

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 10:34 - Jun 28 with 3099 viewsHerbivore

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 10:29 - Jun 28 by Ryorry

That doesn't make his comments invalid though; they were actually very factual - he could hardly have been milder.

It provides context as to why the comments, whilst seemingly reasonable, may have rankled.

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 10:35 - Jun 28 with 3117 viewschicoazul

England team sports dominated by public schoolboys are always going to have a fair reputation of being bottlers, cry babies who cant take criticism, and flat track bullies.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2019 10:37]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 10:40 - Jun 28 with 3097 viewsRyorry

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 10:34 - Jun 28 by Herbivore

It provides context as to why the comments, whilst seemingly reasonable, may have rankled.

Sure, but many people, like me, won't have been aware of that context, so Bairstow's comments come across in a very poor light!
[Post edited 28 Jun 2019 10:42]

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 10:57 - Jun 28 with 3038 viewshampstead_blue

Happy for him to have a pop at KP.
KP is a waste of fresh air.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 11:01 - Jun 28 with 3026 viewsLKW15

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 10:35 - Jun 28 by chicoazul

England team sports dominated by public schoolboys are always going to have a fair reputation of being bottlers, cry babies who cant take criticism, and flat track bullies.

as opposed to the England football team populated almost exclusively by state schooled people, who have enjoyed over 50 years of continuous tournament knock out match success and have been well known for their big game mentality...
What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 11:03 - Jun 28 with 3021 viewsjimmyvet

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 10:35 - Jun 28 by chicoazul

Can you name the public school boys in current 1 day team please ?
What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 11:08 - Jun 28 with 3007 viewschicoazul

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 11:03 - Jun 28 by jimmyvet

Can you name the public school boys in current 1 day team please ?

Bairstow Root Buttler Roy Morgan Vince off the top of my head. Funny how the batters are letting us down.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 11:10 - Jun 28 with 3003 viewschicoazul

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 11:01 - Jun 28 by LKW15

as opposed to the England football team populated almost exclusively by state schooled people, who have enjoyed over 50 years of continuous tournament knock out match success and have been well known for their big game mentality...

At least historically they arent a bunch of cry baby fannies.

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 11:15 - Jun 28 with 2980 viewsCaptMickMills

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 10:21 - Jun 28 by Herbivore

Vaughan is probably best cricket pundit around. Any criticism is reasoned and proportionate.

Enjoy listening to him. Can see why he was a great captain. Certainly hadn't been over critical of current ODI team and gas given plenty of praise in recent years
What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 11:19 - Jun 28 with 2958 viewsHerbivore

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 11:15 - Jun 28 by CaptMickMills

Vaughan is probably best cricket pundit around. Any criticism is reasoned and proportionate.

Enjoy listening to him. Can see why he was a great captain. Certainly hadn't been over critical of current ODI team and gas given plenty of praise in recent years

Disagree. He's done more than his fair share of borderline trolling. Not on this occasion by the looks of it, but he's got England players backs up before.

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 11:25 - Jun 28 with 2947 viewsLKW15

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 11:08 - Jun 28 by chicoazul

Bairstow Root Buttler Roy Morgan Vince off the top of my head. Funny how the batters are letting us down.

against Stokes, plunkett, wood, dawson, rashid, ali, woakes, who were all state schooled, root went to an academy.

I'm state school myself, i just don't think your argument holds water when applied to the cricket team given at least half the ODI squad were state schooled
What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 11:56 - Jun 28 with 2906 viewsRyorry

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 10:57 - Jun 28 by hampstead_blue

Happy for him to have a pop at KP.
KP is a waste of fresh air.

Except when talking rhino!

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 12:03 - Jun 28 with 2892 viewsRyorry

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 11:15 - Jun 28 by CaptMickMills

Good, I'm glad it's not just me who likes him! and for very similar reasons, plus if you've never played cricket, as I haven't, he gives excellent explanations without ever being patronising, & great overall picture of the scene. Plus he's a perfect foil for some of he other TMS members - as a commentary/pundit team, they're a very good mix.

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 12:06 - Jun 28 with 2887 viewschicoazul

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 11:25 - Jun 28 by LKW15

against Stokes, plunkett, wood, dawson, rashid, ali, woakes, who were all state schooled, root went to an academy.

I'm state school myself, i just don't think your argument holds water when applied to the cricket team given at least half the ODI squad were state schooled

Root went to Worksop, you're wrong. The Captain and the main batsmen, who happen to be the ones failing in the main, all privately educated. Public schoolboys are an ongoing curse on this country everywhere they are found. They should all be in zoos.

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 12:15 - Jun 28 with 2867 viewsNotSure

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 10:30 - Jun 28 by davblue

They need to get away from all this stuff.

Relax, and start to enjoy themselves along with thinking more about situations. You don't need to blast the ball in the stands each over, some hard running can also build momentum /change the tide of a game. Also start to play how they have done over the last 3-4 years this is all a distraction. I can't see how they will win it though, there's not a good feeling around the whole camp in the competition so far.

Yes bring back Ian Bell. We need to start consolidating again for the first 30 overs!
What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 13:02 - Jun 28 with 2810 viewshampstead_blue

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 11:56 - Jun 28 by Ryorry

Except when talking rhino!

and only becase it suits his PR profile......he's only ever been 'it's all about me'......

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 13:03 - Jun 28 with 2812 viewsdavblue

What a stupid comment by Jonny Bairstow on 12:15 - Jun 28 by NotSure

Yes bring back Ian Bell. We need to start consolidating again for the first 30 overs!

that's not what im getting at, at all.....

I love the positive brand of cricket, 100% it's the way to go, but there's a thin line between positive and reckless, we have been more reckless this world cup giving away very cheap wickets and we've lost games because of it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024