Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When is collective punishment ever acceptable? 11:53 - Oct 17 with 625 viewsBlueNomad

Easy answer - Never

Add to that a right wing government using it to achieve existing goals beyond a response to a horrendous terrorist attack.
When is collective punishment ever acceptable? on 12:09 - Oct 17 with 581 viewsLeoMuff

I don’t see now how currently Israeli actions are any different to those Hamas actions of last week, targeting and killing civilians are both illegal and morally bankrupt.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

When is collective punishment ever acceptable? on 12:10 - Oct 17 with 587 viewsGuthrum

I don't think either side knows what to do next.

The extent of Hamas' attack went beyond what even their own planners reportedly expected. They're now stuck riding a tiger which is far more enraged than anything they've had to cope with before. Whatever they do to de-escalate risks being seen as weakness and loss of face. Releasing the hostages could leave them open to all-out attack.

After their horrific losses (and being caught on the hop), Israel has to do something, they can't just let it pass. Particularly while Israelis are being held hostage. But they are under huge pressure not to do too much. Not just from Iran threatening a second front, but also their own allies, whose mood has distinctly shifted from outrage to concern over the humanitarian situation in Gaza.

It really needs a broker to step in with some framework for a better outcome. The UN used to be good for that, but the Security Council is currently broken, with veto-wielding members already at loggerheads over Ukraine. Biden might be able to achieve something, but he's too closely aligned with Jerusalem to hold out much hope.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2023 12:11]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

When is collective punishment ever acceptable? on 12:21 - Oct 17 with 543 viewsMattinLondon

When is collective punishment ever acceptable? on 12:09 - Oct 17 by LeoMuff

I don’t see now how currently Israeli actions are any different to those Hamas actions of last week, targeting and killing civilians are both illegal and morally bankrupt.

They are different as we hold democracies (regardless of whether they are left or right) to much higher standards than what we hold terrorists to. We don’t expect any better from organisations intent on causing suffering - but, most do not expect better from a democratically elected government.
When is collective punishment ever acceptable? on 12:28 - Oct 17 with 525 viewsPendejo

When is collective punishment ever acceptable? on 12:10 - Oct 17 by Guthrum

I don't think either side knows what to do next.

The extent of Hamas' attack went beyond what even their own planners reportedly expected. They're now stuck riding a tiger which is far more enraged than anything they've had to cope with before. Whatever they do to de-escalate risks being seen as weakness and loss of face. Releasing the hostages could leave them open to all-out attack.

After their horrific losses (and being caught on the hop), Israel has to do something, they can't just let it pass. Particularly while Israelis are being held hostage. But they are under huge pressure not to do too much. Not just from Iran threatening a second front, but also their own allies, whose mood has distinctly shifted from outrage to concern over the humanitarian situation in Gaza.

It really needs a broker to step in with some framework for a better outcome. The UN used to be good for that, but the Security Council is currently broken, with veto-wielding members already at loggerheads over Ukraine. Biden might be able to achieve something, but he's too closely aligned with Jerusalem to hold out much hope.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2023 12:11]

I keep seeing Israeli army / politicians repeating the mantra "there is no humanitarian crises in Gaza" but all I'm hearing is "there are no humans in Gaza"

But listening to a chap on BBC News channel right now I can almost understand, but only as far as those combatants. No one wins a war trading baby deaths, committing vile acts on civilians.

It's almost like his doesn't exist, otherwise he'd sort it, wouldn't he/she/it?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024