Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McKenna in looking beyond next game shock! 18:02 - Dec 7 with 1842 viewsunstableblue

Great interviews with our progressive and competent leader as always.

“I think in two weeks' time, we have Leeds, Leicester, QPR and Stoke in maybe a 10-day period, so when you are going into blocks like that, it is true that you have to plan a little bit ahead and it is extremely unlikely that you are going to pick the same team for each game.

“And there is an opportunity and sometimes a need to look at each opposition, develop a game plan for each game and choose the players who are most suitable for that game plan and plan a little bit ahead.”

Obviously with a big caveat the usual next game focus is still the primary approach:

“We need to prepare a team with full focus to go and be ready for that game and keep one very small percent of our mind on the next one coming up and what that one might look like.”

So what rotation strategy is he and his coaching staff planning out during this intense run.

Taylor will drop in and Clarke place guaranteed against Boro, and with a week of beforehand I’d expect those will be the only changes excepting perhaps Axel in for Wolfenden.

Mass and Williams will swap in for Taylor and Clarke against Watford for sure. Leaving Clarke ready for the derby which surely he deserves a start in as a local lad.

I can see Williams, Taylor, Hutchison, Harness, Axel and perhaps even Edmundson as the players who’ll be rotated in and out. With a plan emerging based on game frequency and opposition. **Edit** I can see Scarlett perhaps getting a start in such a busy period.

Can’t see anyone else as being in the plan for first team game time… can you?? Perhaps Jackson at a push.

[Post edited 9 Dec 2023 8:43]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

McKenna in looking beyond next game shock! on 20:46 - Dec 7 with 1707 viewsHerbivore

I wouldn't be too stunned to see Scarlett get a start during this run. He's been looking better and better in recent games. I'd see him probably starting in Broadhead's role though rather than right up top.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

McKenna in looking beyond next game shock! on 22:41 - Dec 7 with 1593 viewsN2_Blue

McKenna in looking beyond next game shock! on 20:46 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

I wouldn't be too stunned to see Scarlett get a start during this run. He's been looking better and better in recent games. I'd see him probably starting in Broadhead's role though rather than right up top.

I do wonder if Hirst can start every game this month, that would be a huge ask, as he selfless in his running and often looks gassed by 70 mins.

Ladapo at the start of the season would have come in for the occasional start but he really seems to fallen out of favour. Scarlett could get a start but very different type of player.

Mckenna will have something up his sleeve as they will of course have had a plan for if Hirst was injured for a period of time but it's the one position that we struggle to fill like for like if Ladapo is not in favour/form.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

McKenna in looking beyond next game shock! on 22:55 - Dec 7 with 1562 viewsExiled2Surrey

All sounds plausible - albeit there will also need to be plans for if/when Morsy is required to put his feet up for a couple of games. Ball didn't look great in that role against Fulham, but not sure who else is going to be a true like for like replacement. Maybe we will reconfigure if we need to?

Really don't see Clarke playing against Norwich just because he is a local lad - he is more likely to start because Williams has demonstrated a reckless streak and this may not be the ideal fixture to test his composure...
McKenna in looking beyond next game shock! on 08:43 - Dec 8 with 1368 viewsArnoldMoorhen

McKenna in looking beyond next game shock! on 22:55 - Dec 7 by Exiled2Surrey

All sounds plausible - albeit there will also need to be plans for if/when Morsy is required to put his feet up for a couple of games. Ball didn't look great in that role against Fulham, but not sure who else is going to be a true like for like replacement. Maybe we will reconfigure if we need to?

Really don't see Clarke playing against Norwich just because he is a local lad - he is more likely to start because Williams has demonstrated a reckless streak and this may not be the ideal fixture to test his composure...

Plus if there is anyone in the squad who wants to start against Norwich as much as Clarke (and the other local lad, Woolfy) it is Williams. One of them is going to be disappointed.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2023 23:57]
McKenna in looking beyond next game shock! on 08:57 - Dec 8 with 1335 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

McKenna in looking beyond next game shock! on 08:43 - Dec 8 by ArnoldMoorhen

Plus if there is anyone in the squad who wants to start against Norwich as much as Clarke (and the other local lad, Woolfy) it is Williams. One of them is going to be disappointed.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2023 23:57]

Whoever starts out of those two is absolutely nailed on for a yellow for a crunching tackle, followed by a fist pump.
McKenna in looking beyond next game shock! on 15:17 - Dec 8 with 1171 viewsRadlett_blue

Our main need in January is another quality central striker to give Hurst a rest as I don't think Ladapo is good enough for the level we now require.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

McKenna in looking beyond next game shock! on 21:06 - Dec 8 with 1043 viewsunstableblue

McKenna in looking beyond next game shock! on 20:46 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

I’ve been really impressed by Scarlett of late.

His press has gone from zero to really effective.

I do think that high end Premier League managers must look at how Hutchison and Scarlett have become hungry, and think let’s send people there!!!!

Good Point on 08:48 - Dec 9 with 836 viewsunstableblue

McKenna in looking beyond next game shock! on 22:41 - Dec 7 by N2_Blue

I do wonder if Hirst can start every game this month, that would be a huge ask, as he selfless in his running and often looks gassed by 70 mins.

Ladapo at the start of the season would have come in for the occasional start but he really seems to fallen out of favour. Scarlett could get a start but very different type of player.

Mckenna will have something up his sleeve as they will of course have had a plan for if Hirst was injured for a period of time but it's the one position that we struggle to fill like for like if Ladapo is not in favour/form.

Hirst is essential for our game at present.

But man he puts in a shift each game, and of late he’s often playing 85-89mins, rather than the previous 65-70.

That’s a lot of fatigue I’m this busy run.

Neither Scarlett, Jackson and Ladapo can bring his attributes

Indeed Scarlett as been coming on for the attacking midfielders

I do think Scarlett may possibly get a start for Hirst

A knock for Hirst would be a big blow for the season and I can see January business at centre forward

Login to get fewer ads

McKenna in looking beyond next game shock! on 09:16 - Dec 9 with 814 viewsArnoldMoorhen

McKenna in looking beyond next game shock! on 08:57 - Dec 8 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Whoever starts out of those two is absolutely nailed on for a yellow for a crunching tackle, followed by a fist pump.

I think I would be happy with either starting, and the other coming on for Burns on 70, if we are winning, with Clarke given license to bully their Left Back in Wes' role, and Williams behind.

We would then have Clarke's height at set pieces.
McKenna in looking beyond next game shock! on 11:24 - Dec 9 with 732 viewsunstableblue

McKenna in looking beyond next game shock! on 15:17 - Dec 8 by Radlett_blue

Our main need in January is another quality central striker to give Hurst a rest as I don't think Ladapo is good enough for the level we now require.

As per post below.. definitely agree about Hirst needing back-up and a rest. I hadn't clocked he's been playing a few games for 85+ minutes, and the amount of running he does is incredible.

Recent games:

Cov (h) - 85 (Jackson)
Millwall (h) - 70 (Scarlett)
WBA (a) - 75 (Ladapo)
Swansea - 89 (Ladapo)
Rotherham -- 69 (Ladapo)

I wonder if Scarlett can now step up, maybe start one game, or come on at 65. His press has increased incredibly since being trained by McKenna.

And yes agree a striker will be high up the January shopping list.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024