Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos 12:34 - Oct 5 with 2167 viewsAsa

My initial thought was they are light years apart. Gio came here after a season where he played 30 times for Barca alongside Messi, Henry and Ibrahimovic so it was a joke he even came into the Championship.

But when I thought about it Dos Santos looked a cut above this division every time he got the ball. As someone else said on another thread Omari looks the same.

4 goals in 8 for Gio. Hutchison has something like 2 in 5? Possibly similar goals to minutes ratio considering. Both playing at the same level being the second tier.

So whilst the two in my brain initially seemed miles apart, Dos Santos is elevated by where he came from but after Town he hardly ripped it up ending in a long spell in the MLS.

Gio is legendary. One of the most exciting players I saw play for us. But having looked back at his time for on YouTube I’m not seeing a lot that Omari hasn’t shown already although you’d have to say Omari has worked a lot harder.

What sort of season, minutes, goals and assists would Omari need for us to claim he’d had a better spell?

As mad as it seems to me, we could end up looking back on Omari with similar thoughts if he carries on in this manner.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2023 12:36]
What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 12:39 - Oct 5 with 2106 viewshomer_123

only just realised... Town V Hull by homer_123 5 Oct 2023 11:24
It will be an interesting season for Hutch.

He's the most exciting player we have had since Dos Santos IMHO. At times, he looks a complete cut above this level. It's not just his ability with the ball but the fact he's putting the hard yards in - he hasn't come here as a luxury player at all.

If he has a decent season (so far so good), then yes, unlikely we'll see him here next season as a perm signing. I do, however, think that there's a chance he might be a loanee next year with us again. This is his first year of playing as such and I don't see him getting into Chelsea's first team just yet.

Now, Williams is a different kettle of fish....more than likely an option for us next year.

The difference between the two is 'off the ball'. Omari is covering, tracking back, and working as much off the ball than on it.

That's where the significant different, for me, is. Therefore, his overall contribution within this team is going to surpass Gio (who was excellent by the way).

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 12:53 - Oct 5 with 2046 views_clive_baker_

Dos Santos tore Norwich a new one which is always going to elevate his status among town fans, and rightly so. The reality is, as you say, he did only play 8 times. And in a season where we didn't even make the playoffs, so he's probably held in higher esteem than he ought to be in terms of his actual contribution (rather than his ability).

I would argue Tom Lawrence, Ryan Fraser, DJ Campbell to a degree were all more impactful loan signings given what they actually did for us, and Omari has the opportunity to surpass him as well if he contributes a full season here at the level we've seen so far. If he ends the season with 15+ starts, the same again off the bench, 10+ goals and assists combined then you would have to say that's a great contribution.
What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 12:59 - Oct 5 with 2009 viewsElephantintheRoom

Be good enough to play for a decent club in any European league? Dos Santos never really cut it in Europe

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 13:04 - Oct 5 with 1977 viewsIllinoisblue

How did we even sign Gio? What/who was the connection for that deal to happen?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 13:05 - Oct 5 with 1968 viewshomer_123

What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 12:59 - Oct 5 by ElephantintheRoom

Be good enough to play for a decent club in any European league? Dos Santos never really cut it in Europe

Apart from 3 seasons at Mallorca and Villareal. Over 100 appearances and over 20 goals.

And you're ignoring his breakout season at Barca and also a succesful loan with Racing Santandar (5 goals in 16 appearances).

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 13:08 - Oct 5 with 1946 viewsNthQldITFC

The improvement (or at least adaptation to the demands of our way of playing) we have seen in just a few games from Omari is the most breathtaking thing for me. Yes, you can see he can skin people alive, both ways, with frightening success rates. Yes he can deliver perfect passes and read the game well. All Premier League quality. But the way in which he's meshed with our squad is fantastic, and speaks as highly of his personal capabilities as those of KMcK and the coaching team.

His personal trajectory is frightening - I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him regularly in the Chelsea first team next season. (unless they get relegated )

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 13:12 - Oct 5 with 1914 views_clive_baker_

What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 13:04 - Oct 5 by Illinoisblue

How did we even sign Gio? What/who was the connection for that deal to happen?

Think it was a case of Harry going in to Spurs a few months prior and trying to put his stamp on things a little bit. I think he and ME had some link, perhaps Klug played a part in it too. IIRC they sent a few players out on loan to the Championship for the last couple of months of that season, perhaps to shop window them a bit and for Redknapp to make a bit of a point to a squad that had been underperforming and cost Ramos his job earlier in the season. They had also gone pretty big in the Jan window a few weeks earlier bringing in Defoe and Robbie Keane.
What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 13:14 - Oct 5 with 1884 viewsIllinoisblue

What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 13:12 - Oct 5 by _clive_baker_

Think it was a case of Harry going in to Spurs a few months prior and trying to put his stamp on things a little bit. I think he and ME had some link, perhaps Klug played a part in it too. IIRC they sent a few players out on loan to the Championship for the last couple of months of that season, perhaps to shop window them a bit and for Redknapp to make a bit of a point to a squad that had been underperforming and cost Ramos his job earlier in the season. They had also gone pretty big in the Jan window a few weeks earlier bringing in Defoe and Robbie Keane.

Cheers. You have a much better memory than I do! On a par with Steve M’s recollection of our transfer dealings in the summer of 2000.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 13:14 - Oct 5 with 1884 viewsSteve_M

What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 13:12 - Oct 5 by _clive_baker_

I have a feeling John Gorman played a part, given he was here at the time.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 13:18 - Oct 5 with 1869 viewstractorboy1978

Jim tried to get Darren Bent on loan and we ended up with Gio. I swear that came from JM's mouth on his podcast with Blue Monday.
What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 13:25 - Oct 5 with 1831 views_clive_baker_

What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 13:14 - Oct 5 by Illinoisblue

Cheers. You have a much better memory than I do! On a par with Steve M’s recollection of our transfer dealings in the summer of 2000.

It's partly because I had a bit of a soft spot for Spurs under Redknapp. I was living in London at the time and probably saw more of their games than ours around that time, by virtue of a good mate of mine having a ST with his dad who lived in Devon so only got to about half their games. When they were 'on it' they were incredible to watch. Modric, Bale, van der Vaart, Palacios, Keane, Defoe, Kranjcar, Crouch, Gallas, Pavluchenko. Some side, and a trip to WHL always involved lots of pints on Seven Sisters road and a bloody good Turkish grill post match. TWTD.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2023 13:26]
What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 13:25 - Oct 5 with 1833 viewsyorkshireblue

Looking back, I sometimes think having Gio hindered us the following season. After Keane came in he had Gio for two games which potentially masked a lot of our problems so he may have thought we were X when we were infact Y.

The face he might not have been able to see that, of course, reflects on his managerial "ability".
What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 15:58 - Oct 5 with 1562 viewsWacko

What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 12:53 - Oct 5 by _clive_baker_

Dos Santos tore Norwich a new one which is always going to elevate his status among town fans, and rightly so. The reality is, as you say, he did only play 8 times. And in a season where we didn't even make the playoffs, so he's probably held in higher esteem than he ought to be in terms of his actual contribution (rather than his ability).

I would argue Tom Lawrence, Ryan Fraser, DJ Campbell to a degree were all more impactful loan signings given what they actually did for us, and Omari has the opportunity to surpass him as well if he contributes a full season here at the level we've seen so far. If he ends the season with 15+ starts, the same again off the bench, 10+ goals and assists combined then you would have to say that's a great contribution.

I think Townsend was great too, weirdly cut short

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 16:14 - Oct 5 with 1520 viewsSteve_M

What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 15:58 - Oct 5 by Wacko

Scored against Swansea and then sent back almost straight away. Keane took exception to something that no-one else ever found out about I think.

That Swansea game was the one d'Urso went to give us a penalty at 2-1 down, then changed his mind for no obvious reason.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 16:32 - Oct 5 with 1488 viewshoppy

What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 12:39 - Oct 5 by homer_123

only just realised... Town V Hull by homer_123 5 Oct 2023 11:24
It will be an interesting season for Hutch.

He's the most exciting player we have had since Dos Santos IMHO. At times, he looks a complete cut above this level. It's not just his ability with the ball but the fact he's putting the hard yards in - he hasn't come here as a luxury player at all.

If he has a decent season (so far so good), then yes, unlikely we'll see him here next season as a perm signing. I do, however, think that there's a chance he might be a loanee next year with us again. This is his first year of playing as such and I don't see him getting into Chelsea's first team just yet.

Now, Williams is a different kettle of fish....more than likely an option for us next year.

The difference between the two is 'off the ball'. Omari is covering, tracking back, and working as much off the ball than on it.

That's where the significant different, for me, is. Therefore, his overall contribution within this team is going to surpass Gio (who was excellent by the way).

Indeed. I don't think we'd have seen Gio dropping back to cover Davis when he was playing out the game with an injury after we'd used all our subs in the same way Omari did. The work he put in that game was awesome.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 19:25 - Oct 5 with 1309 viewsSitfcB

What does Omari need to do to surpass Dos Santos on 15:58 - Oct 5 by Wacko

Wasn’t it cut short because their was rumours he was tapping up Wickham?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024