Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
what happened with downes? 17:23 - Aug 21 with 1234 viewspositivity

seeed to be doing ok at west ham, thought that rice leaving might give him more of a chance of game time.

is it just that they see the rice millions as a way of improving the whole squad and he's been left behind? seems a bit odd

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

what happened with downes? on 17:25 - Aug 21 with 1212 viewsMullet

Don't think he's impressed has he? Fans don't seem to have taken to him and he gets to go and play weekly for a manager he knows in a team who should walk the league.

Fair play if he's decided to drop down to get games.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

what happened with downes? on 17:26 - Aug 21 with 1197 viewsHerbivore

I guess he's not kicked on enough to be the Rice replacement they'd hoped he would be and they have the resources to sign a more readymade replacement. He will want to be playing regularly at his age so I can't imagine he's interested in another year of being a squad player.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

what happened with downes? on 18:30 - Aug 21 with 989 viewsKentish_Tractor

Problem with Downes is he's a jack of all trades but master of none.
He's a decent midfielder and good at many things - got a good engine, great work rate, comptetent dribbler, reasonable passer.

BUT - he's not good enough at any of those to make him a guaranteed starter in the premier league. He's not a playmaker, he doesn't score goals, and he's not an enforcer. Plus he's prone to losing his head and picking up cards unnecessarily.

He'll dominate at this level. Could possibly still make it as a prem player but would be at a team towards the bottom of the division - probably not at a team the size of West Ham who despite their struggles are still a big club.

Poll: How often are you refreshing TWTD today?

what happened with downes? on 18:43 - Aug 21 with 923 viewsthe_toff

what happened with downes? on 17:26 - Aug 21 by Herbivore

I guess he's not kicked on enough to be the Rice replacement they'd hoped he would be and they have the resources to sign a more readymade replacement. He will want to be playing regularly at his age so I can't imagine he's interested in another year of being a squad player.

And to be fair to him he’s probably got a better chance of being a premier league regular in 12 months time by joining Southampton than he has by staying at West Ham.
what happened with downes? on 18:47 - Aug 21 with 908 viewsVaughan8

Guessing he hasn't kicked on enough and was probably part of the ward Prowse deal even though its 2 separate transactions.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024