Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England unchanged for the Oval 13:09 - Jul 26 with 1355 viewsgainsboroughblue

I did wonder if Tongue would come in just for that added pace.

Not been much of a hint of it yet but could this be a farewell to Jimmy test? Certainly not been at his best this series which is probably understandable given age and I'm not sure he'll be heading for India this winter. Then next summer he'll be 42!

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

England unchanged for the Oval on 13:14 - Jul 26 with 1343 viewsSamuelowen88

It has a bit of that feeling about it.

Although would be surprised if it wasn't announced before hand? rather than after the match, oh yeah that was the last one.

One interesting stat is Jimmy has never hit the winning runs in a TM, even though he has the most not out's of any player in TM history.

Would be a fitting end, hits a 4 for the winning runs, drops bat, walks off.

Poll: England v Wales Score

England unchanged for the Oval on 13:17 - Jul 26 with 1322 viewscatch74

Rumour has it they’re trying to persuade him to retire gracefully.
To be fair, Robinson his likely successor hasnt pulled up trees and isn’t a spring chicken either.
Wonder how things would have panned out if we’d had Wood and Archer all summer. Aussies could say the loss of Lyon has had a big impact too.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

England unchanged for the Oval on 13:19 - Jul 26 with 1313 viewsSamuelowen88

England unchanged for the Oval on 13:14 - Jul 26 by Samuelowen88

It has a bit of that feeling about it.

Although would be surprised if it wasn't announced before hand? rather than after the match, oh yeah that was the last one.

One interesting stat is Jimmy has never hit the winning runs in a TM, even though he has the most not out's of any player in TM history.

Would be a fitting end, hits a 4 for the winning runs, drops bat, walks off.

Although just read an interview on BBC,

Anderson has said he has "no thoughts about retirement"

I'd just like him to quit whilst hes on top, not drag it out, have a dip on form. Would be a sad way for the greatest ever pace bowler to leave.

Poll: England v Wales Score

England unchanged for the Oval on 13:54 - Jul 26 with 1260 viewsChrisd

Anderson’s record at The Oval is the worst at all the test playing grounds in England. Really hope we pick a side to win this test match, not on sentiment value.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

England unchanged for the Oval on 19:03 - Jul 26 with 1160 viewsbournemouthblue

Personally I'd have picked Tongue, I did wonder if Old Trafford might be Jimmy's farewell test but I don't think he has any plans to retire

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

England unchanged for the Oval on 19:20 - Jul 26 with 1134 viewsRadlett_blue

England unchanged for the Oval on 19:03 - Jul 26 by bournemouthblue

Personally I'd have picked Tongue, I did wonder if Old Trafford might be Jimmy's farewell test but I don't think he has any plans to retire

I would have picked Tongue for Old Trafford . Anderson took 1-81 & while he bowled accurately & tidily, you need someone who offers more of a threat taking the new ball.
Stokes has confirmed he is going to play no cricket at all from the 5th Test until the India tour in January next year, in an attempt to get his knee better. He must be frustrated at being unable to bowl & this has damaged the balance of the England side, forcing us to pick 4 seamers & then give the inadequate Bairstow the gloves.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

England unchanged for the Oval on 19:24 - Jul 26 with 1129 viewsNutkins_Return

Can't believe Anderson would have been picked if Ashes still at stake. He's been poor. If his bowling isn't working then we carry him as he can't bat.

What a career though. He's more than earnt one last Ashes game in a near dead rubber.
England unchanged for the Oval on 19:29 - Jul 26 with 1117 viewschicoazul

Have to think there will be a few passing the torch after this. Jimmy Wood Woakes Moeen maybe Broad maybe Bairstow. Jofra may decide to quit too, Leach might. Be interesting to see if Mcullum and Stokes can evolve the team.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

England unchanged for the Oval on 19:36 - Jul 26 with 1106 viewsredrickstuhaart

England unchanged for the Oval on 19:29 - Jul 26 by chicoazul

Have to think there will be a few passing the torch after this. Jimmy Wood Woakes Moeen maybe Broad maybe Bairstow. Jofra may decide to quit too, Leach might. Be interesting to see if Mcullum and Stokes can evolve the team.

Oval is traditionally fast and bouncy. Less so these days, but not really a nibbly anderson pitch and his record there is poor.

Sentimental selection and not one which fills me with confidence that we are going out to win it.
England unchanged for the Oval on 19:41 - Jul 26 with 1092 viewsYallop2

Obviously he's not taken as many wickets as we'd want but he's been the most economical of any bowler on either side and three months ago he was no 1 bowler in the world so I wouldn't write him off quite yet.
England unchanged for the Oval on 19:42 - Jul 26 with 1085 viewsgainsboroughblue

England unchanged for the Oval on 19:36 - Jul 26 by redrickstuhaart

Oval is traditionally fast and bouncy. Less so these days, but not really a nibbly anderson pitch and his record there is poor.

Sentimental selection and not one which fills me with confidence that we are going out to win it.

Yep. The Oval is one of those grounds that once you play yourself in, you can basically bat and bat and bat. The extra pace to unsettle would've been a better call in my opinion.

It also turns a fair bit to but this is based on the Oval test normally played at the back end of summer/start of autumn which we are not at, and neither side seems to have a fit spinner they 100% trust.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

England unchanged for the Oval on 19:54 - Jul 26 with 1072 viewsRadlett_blue

England unchanged for the Oval on 19:36 - Jul 26 by redrickstuhaart

As others have said, Anderson probably won't fancy India in January & he'll be 42 next summer. He says he has no plans to retire, which I understand on his recent Test form before the Ashes, but wouldn't it be nicer to have a farewell Test rather than suddenly find he isn't being picked any more? I would be surprised if he is given a central contract in the Autumn.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

England unchanged for the Oval on 21:17 - Jul 26 with 1022 viewsstonojnr

England unchanged for the Oval on 13:17 - Jul 26 by catch74

Rumour has it they’re trying to persuade him to retire gracefully.
To be fair, Robinson his likely successor hasnt pulled up trees and isn’t a spring chicken either.
Wonder how things would have panned out if we’d had Wood and Archer all summer. Aussies could say the loss of Lyon has had a big impact too.

why would they have to persuade him to retire ?? they just stop picking the players they dont want in the team.

fwiw I still think he adds value to the bowling by keeping an end for not many runs, even if the wickets column isnt overflowing this series, but he's told everyone why that is, its the pitches theyve prepared for Bazball
England unchanged for the Oval on 22:26 - Jul 26 with 991 viewsWhos_blue

Got tickets for tomorrow.
The weather forecast is looking a bit grim.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024