Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Intermittent Fasting 17:01 - Aug 19 with 2751 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Had a physical recently and was informed I needed to shed a few lbs to get back in non fast b*stard BMI range post pandemic.

I like how we’ve from the most important meal of the day to don’t eat for most of the day to lose weight.

Anyway, I’ve been doing this the last 6 weeks and dropped about 15-20lbs. I’m not really bothered about breakfast unless it’s on holiday or the weekends anyway. So it’s just been water and coffee until about 2pm and not eating late, basically every work day but don’t bother with it in weekends.

Seems to work a treat, the question is, is it healthy? Probably not but then a load of carbs first thing in the morning probably isn’t either. Carrying less fat is obviously healthier so I’m just going to keep doing it I think, along with working out most evenings if I get a chance.
Intermittent Fasting on 17:18 - Aug 19 with 2063 viewsJ2BLUE

It's fine. Humans didn't have three meals a day for a long time. You'll be fine.

Agree skipping breakfast is an open goal really if you can.

I sometimes do somewhere between 16-8 and 20-4 IF.

Nothing magical about it but makes eating less calories easier.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Intermittent Fasting on 17:21 - Aug 19 with 2046 viewsstrikalite

It's just a way of dropping calories, as for your BMI and being "in range"tell them it's utter bollox, measure your bf%, though that's easier said than done..

Six weeks though is mothing really, the truth is if you find it at all difficult at some point Ghrelin will step in and you're done for, pretty much..
Intermittent Fasting on 17:34 - Aug 19 with 1991 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Intermittent Fasting on 17:21 - Aug 19 by strikalite

It's just a way of dropping calories, as for your BMI and being "in range"tell them it's utter bollox, measure your bf%, though that's easier said than done..

Six weeks though is mothing really, the truth is if you find it at all difficult at some point Ghrelin will step in and you're done for, pretty much..

I did have a few struggles in 2020 and early 2021 and put on 20lbs + so I do need to drop back to 180-190lbs. Sorry I’ve been Americanized out of Stones now.
Intermittent Fasting on 18:15 - Aug 19 with 1847 viewsIllinoisblue

So breakfast is not actually the most important meal of the day? I’m an early riser and generally ready to maim and kill if i haven’t eaten something by 8am

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Intermittent Fasting on 18:24 - Aug 19 with 1804 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Intermittent Fasting on 18:15 - Aug 19 by Illinoisblue

So breakfast is not actually the most important meal of the day? I’m an early riser and generally ready to maim and kill if i haven’t eaten something by 8am

No we have to skip it altogether now. Keep up.
Intermittent Fasting on 18:24 - Aug 19 with 1806 viewsLord_Lucan

I rarely eat breakfast - in fact I generally eat once a day between 7pm - 10pm.

I don’t think missing meals is technically very wise, I was of the opinion that if you missed meals your body will get nervous and store up the fat.

I think it’s really about what you eat. The Chinese eat all bloody day and don’t get fat - well the kids have started to get fatter but that’s down to western takeaways.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Intermittent Fasting on 18:26 - Aug 19 with 1800 viewsmjw_1983

Lifestyles dictate that most humans eat A main meal as a family around 6pm and go to bed around 4 hours later having not burnt those calories therefore storing it as fat. Every time you eat your body will also create insulin so eating less times a day will reduce insulin which is a fat storing hormone.
I do IF only eat between 11am and 6pm (normally finish eating around 5pm)
We’ll done on your weight loss and hope you feel better for it
Intermittent Fasting on 18:29 - Aug 19 with 1752 viewsEJP

The expression was thought up my Mr Kellogg apparently.
Login to get fewer ads

Intermittent Fasting on 18:31 - Aug 19 with 1744 viewsEJP

I’ve done it in the past and lost 6kg. I only skipped a day if I had a long run planned.

I’ll probably start up again when I return from holiday.

Matcha tea is a good substitute incidentally.
Intermittent Fasting on 18:44 - Aug 19 with 1705 viewsPrideOfTheEast

I know a few people who do that.

I just have something like salmon and eggs for breakfast which basically
means I’m not hungry at lunchtime, so then have a salad or something similar.

My absolute downfall is booze, and especially food after booze. If I’m out I’ll often have dinner, a decent amount to drink, and then eat again something fast and unhealthy.
Intermittent Fasting on 18:46 - Aug 19 with 1694 viewsLord_Lucan

Intermittent Fasting on 18:44 - Aug 19 by PrideOfTheEast

I know a few people who do that.

I just have something like salmon and eggs for breakfast which basically
means I’m not hungry at lunchtime, so then have a salad or something similar.

My absolute downfall is booze, and especially food after booze. If I’m out I’ll often have dinner, a decent amount to drink, and then eat again something fast and unhealthy.

I find it difficult to drink beer after I’ve eaten so if I have a session I’ll either not eat or have a very late dinner.

Edit - you’re as thin as a bloody rake
[Post edited 19 Aug 2022 18:47]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Intermittent Fasting on 19:04 - Aug 19 with 1656 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Intermittent Fasting on 18:46 - Aug 19 by Lord_Lucan

I find it difficult to drink beer after I’ve eaten so if I have a session I’ll either not eat or have a very late dinner.

Edit - you’re as thin as a bloody rake
[Post edited 19 Aug 2022 18:47]

My shape changes after a particularly heavy few weeks! Having kids doesn’t help does it as constantly eating their leftovers!
Intermittent Fasting on 19:08 - Aug 19 with 1634 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Intermittent Fasting on 18:24 - Aug 19 by Lord_Lucan

I don’t think missing meals is technically very wise, I was of the opinion that if you missed meals your body will get nervous and store up the fat.

I think it’s really about what you eat. The Chinese eat all bloody day and don’t get fat - well the kids have started to get fatter but that’s down to western takeaways.

I think if you exercise at the wrong time whilst missing meals that you basically shed muscle rather than fat. I could be wrong but I’m sure I read that. So you’re right, that’s the body storing fat at the expense of muscle because it’s recognising that it isn’t getting fed.
Intermittent Fasting on 19:25 - Aug 19 with 1604 viewsstrikalite

The Chinese consume far less calories with what they're eating, fish and veg for example and their portion sizes are less too, but yeah the big takeaway chains have arrived now so welcome to our world..

Your body will slow your metabolism if you're missing meals, it will conserve energy and slow you down to the point where you don't want to do too much, it hates losing fat, it wants us to have fat...
Intermittent Fasting on 19:44 - Aug 19 with 1562 viewsJ2BLUE

Intermittent Fasting on 19:25 - Aug 19 by strikalite

The Chinese consume far less calories with what they're eating, fish and veg for example and their portion sizes are less too, but yeah the big takeaway chains have arrived now so welcome to our world..

Your body will slow your metabolism if you're missing meals, it will conserve energy and slow you down to the point where you don't want to do too much, it hates losing fat, it wants us to have fat...

Missing a couple of meals is not going to hurt anyone. Your body stores fat for precisely those circumstances.

We really must stop falling for marketing BS and be more logical.

Truly impaired.

Intermittent Fasting on 20:08 - Aug 19 with 1501 viewsstrikalite

Intermittent Fasting on 19:44 - Aug 19 by J2BLUE

Missing a couple of meals is not going to hurt anyone. Your body stores fat for precisely those circumstances.

True, if it gets you under maintenance then why not, it's really for longer fasting periods where your body will start fighting it by slowing you down(metabolism)
Intermittent Fasting on 20:09 - Aug 19 with 1503 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

I thought this as well but not true apparently the starvation mode thing is only when you don’t have much fat to begin with. Or so I’m told. Plus with the amount we work our liver drinking giving it a rest for digestion purposes now and then is also apparently good. I’m sure there are many studies arguing both ways.

Did you ever see that film of that aussie bloke who came to the states and didn’t eat for 2 months, just juiced smoothies, quite interesting. Fat sick and nearly dead. It’s on YouTube.
Intermittent Fasting on 20:11 - Aug 19 with 1478 viewsJ2BLUE

Intermittent Fasting on 20:09 - Aug 19 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

I thought this as well but not true apparently the starvation mode thing is only when you don’t have much fat to begin with. Or so I’m told. Plus with the amount we work our liver drinking giving it a rest for digestion purposes now and then is also apparently good. I’m sure there are many studies arguing both ways.

Did you ever see that film of that aussie bloke who came to the states and didn’t eat for 2 months, just juiced smoothies, quite interesting. Fat sick and nearly dead. It’s on YouTube.

He's done a second one if you haven't seen it.

Truly impaired.

Intermittent Fasting on 20:15 - Aug 19 with 1464 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Intermittent Fasting on 19:08 - Aug 19 by PrideOfTheEast

I think if you exercise at the wrong time whilst missing meals that you basically shed muscle rather than fat. I could be wrong but I’m sure I read that. So you’re right, that’s the body storing fat at the expense of muscle because it’s recognising that it isn’t getting fed.

I smash peloton on an empty stomach in the mornings as well, it’s flying off. As you know my weight can fluctuate quite a bit over the years based on my current lifestyle at the time. All my blood work was all normal apart from liver enzymes slightly raised which wasn’t surprising after burning the candle at both ends for the last 10-15 years. I blame work functions.

But good to get a snapshot on health as under 40 you can basically ignore it.

Traveling for work quite a bit is also not ideal in this country either.
Intermittent Fasting on 20:16 - Aug 19 with 1456 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Intermittent Fasting on 20:11 - Aug 19 by J2BLUE

He's done a second one if you haven't seen it.

Is it worth a watch? The first one was good.
Intermittent Fasting on 20:17 - Aug 19 with 1452 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Intermittent Fasting on 18:26 - Aug 19 by mjw_1983

Lifestyles dictate that most humans eat A main meal as a family around 6pm and go to bed around 4 hours later having not burnt those calories therefore storing it as fat. Every time you eat your body will also create insulin so eating less times a day will reduce insulin which is a fat storing hormone.

Thanks, starting to take that stuff a bit more seriously now.
Intermittent Fasting on 20:22 - Aug 19 with 1422 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Intermittent Fasting on 19:44 - Aug 19 by J2BLUE

My new doctor, who is a young bloke that I quite like said that sugar and processed food is killing far more people in the west than drugs and alcohol. Which was quite interesting.

There is much better education out there now and it’s trendy to be much more conscious about it than in years gone by. When I used to think of our high school food in the 90s (and vending machines) it’s really awful what everyone, literally everyone was putting in their bodies daily at that age.

Modern issue is really decent fresh stuff isn’t cheap. So poorer people are obviously going to turn to fast food still.
Intermittent Fasting on 20:22 - Aug 19 with 1419 viewsJ2BLUE

Intermittent Fasting on 18:26 - Aug 19 by mjw_1983

The storing it as fat if you eat late thing has been disproven. The time you eat is irrelevant.

The insulin thing while technically true is up for debate. You can eat 2000 calories of a mixed diet broken into 6 meals or you can eat a keto diet in 4 hour window. The fat loss will be almost identical.

Some of the healthiest populations in the world eat about 80-85% carbs.

Truly impaired.

Intermittent Fasting on 20:25 - Aug 19 with 1404 viewsJ2BLUE

Intermittent Fasting on 20:22 - Aug 19 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

My new doctor, who is a young bloke that I quite like said that sugar and processed food is killing far more people in the west than drugs and alcohol. Which was quite interesting.

There is much better education out there now and it’s trendy to be much more conscious about it than in years gone by. When I used to think of our high school food in the 90s (and vending machines) it’s really awful what everyone, literally everyone was putting in their bodies daily at that age.

Modern issue is really decent fresh stuff isn’t cheap. So poorer people are obviously going to turn to fast food still.

I'm surprised that this book isn't higher rated. It really filled in a lot of the missing pieces for me in understanding what is (at least in my opinion) the 'correct' way to eat.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6295065-the-end-of-overeating
[Post edited 19 Aug 2022 20:25]

Truly impaired.

Intermittent Fasting on 20:32 - Aug 19 with 1360 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Intermittent Fasting on 20:25 - Aug 19 by J2BLUE

I'm surprised that this book isn't higher rated. It really filled in a lot of the missing pieces for me in understanding what is (at least in my opinion) the 'correct' way to eat.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6295065-the-end-of-overeating
[Post edited 19 Aug 2022 20:25]

I try and go by the 80/20 rule.

I always fall of the wagon if being 100% healthy all the time but also can’t treat the weekend as Thursday - Sunday.

Usually eat out in a Friday or Saturday evening and have a happy hour or Sunday beers during the NFL season.

When higher ups are in town it’s a nightmare tho.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024