Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Imran Tahir 21:20 - Aug 9 with 1012 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Just got the first Hundred hat trick and the second 5for.

He doesn't half celebrate too (even just a wicket normally).

EDIT: Aged 42 too!
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 21:21]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Imran Tahir on 21:22 - Aug 9 with 987 viewsMerseyBlue

Brilliant stuff

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Imran Tahir on 22:29 - Aug 9 with 912 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

One of my favourite players. I just love it in sport when the players are clearly enjoying the big moments as much as the rest of us.

He’s celebrated that hatrick in the same way the rest of us would. Great tinder the passion.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Imran Tahir on 22:48 - Aug 9 with 882 viewsChrisd

Just not getting into the hundred, seems a competition shoehorned in to an already busy domestic schedule at the expense of no other competition. What is its benefit to the game? Wish the ECB would show this much interest with the 4 day game and test cricket.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Imran Tahir on 23:32 - Aug 9 with 842 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Imran Tahir on 22:48 - Aug 9 by Chrisd

Just not getting into the hundred, seems a competition shoehorned in to an already busy domestic schedule at the expense of no other competition. What is its benefit to the game? Wish the ECB would show this much interest with the 4 day game and test cricket.

The benefit to the game has been to market it to a new younger audience. It has been linked in with other ventures such as Dynamos. It has also been a move to raise the profile of women's cricket.

I think traditionalists have not really taken to it in the same way as they never did to limited overs cricket generally when it first happened.

Personally, I think it is a positive thing for the game. I can see why traditionalists may disagree. However, without limited overs cricket, I think the sport would not be where it is in terms of crowds. Without something like the Hundred, I don't think domestic cricket was going anywhere except backwards. Whether the Hundred proves to revitalise it time will tell.

Imran Tahir on 23:47 - Aug 9 with 818 viewsCoastalblue

Imran Tahir on 23:32 - Aug 9 by Nthsuffolkblue

The benefit to the game has been to market it to a new younger audience. It has been linked in with other ventures such as Dynamos. It has also been a move to raise the profile of women's cricket.

I think traditionalists have not really taken to it in the same way as they never did to limited overs cricket generally when it first happened.

Personally, I think it is a positive thing for the game. I can see why traditionalists may disagree. However, without limited overs cricket, I think the sport would not be where it is in terms of crowds. Without something like the Hundred, I don't think domestic cricket was going anywhere except backwards. Whether the Hundred proves to revitalise it time will tell.

I tend to agree with all of that, it does seem that a new audience has been attracted for these games as well which is no bad thing and can only benefit cricket on the whole in the future.

On the flipside, personally I have zero interest despite the intensive marketing I've recieved from the Oval, but I'm an old grouch who's still struggling to accept and like 20/20 so I'm definitely not their target audience.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Imran Tahir on 07:57 - Aug 10 with 717 viewsChrisd

Points well made, although I feel The Hundred should’ve been introduced at the expense of another domestic competition not squeezed into an already congested calendar. The longer format does worry me because there is still plenty of interest in test match cricket look at the crowds we, Australia and India get for the big test match series. Neglecting this form of the game to focus on the white ball game would be a huge mistake as it could drive the purists away.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Imran Tahir on 08:10 - Aug 10 with 705 viewsMerseyBlue

Imran Tahir on 22:48 - Aug 9 by Chrisd

I was sceptical of it at first, couldn't see that it was different enough to justify existence, even though I did enjoy it. As it has gone on I've become convinced that it has legs. The decision whether to bowl consecutive 5 ball overs seems to be the most important one, and it's a good bet that when a captain elects to do so, it will blow up in their face pretty sharpish.

I have no idea how it is performing globally but it seems to be a big success here. The ECB need this raise the profile of the game and inject some cash. Unfortunately, whilst I like the long form of the game, it's pretty hard to sell as a sexy, must-watch event unless we're contesting the Ashes.

The Hundred should bring an increase in younger cricketing fans into the game, make them familiar with the players and then gradually get into longer forms as time goes by. I do think this current series with India shows we need to start respecting the long form of the game and preparing properly, but I think that's going to be something that takes a little while

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Imran Tahir on 08:57 - Aug 10 with 666 viewsSaleAway

TO be honest, I've been enjoying it, but I also enjoyed the Blast..... I think that just spending a bit more re-marketing the Blast properly would have had a similar effect ( certainly the feel of the hundred this year is similar to when T20 first kicked off) . The problem I have with the hundred, is I don't support anyone.... whereas for county cricket, I follow Essex ( historical) and Lancs ( my local side).... I can't find headspace for another team, especially when they might only play 6 games, and then be done.... so I'm watching as a neutral, and quite enjoying it, but I don't think its a panacea.... next season will be interesting, will it gather momentum, or drift into a t20 blast type existence.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Login to get fewer ads

Imran Tahir on 09:15 - Aug 10 with 638 viewsKeno

Imran Tahir on 08:57 - Aug 10 by SaleAway

TO be honest, I've been enjoying it, but I also enjoyed the Blast..... I think that just spending a bit more re-marketing the Blast properly would have had a similar effect ( certainly the feel of the hundred this year is similar to when T20 first kicked off) . The problem I have with the hundred, is I don't support anyone.... whereas for county cricket, I follow Essex ( historical) and Lancs ( my local side).... I can't find headspace for another team, especially when they might only play 6 games, and then be done.... so I'm watching as a neutral, and quite enjoying it, but I don't think its a panacea.... next season will be interesting, will it gather momentum, or drift into a t20 blast type existence.

I cant get into the 100 thing and I'm really not sure where this fits long term in terms of international cricket

Like Saley I think the ECB would have been better looking at revamping the Blast and then extending the International club competition part of that.

Longer term there needs ti be a rethink of country cricket, maybe cutting done the 'first class' county element to improve the overall standard but having a distinct 2nd tier to include fringe counties such as Suffolk

Whatever the questions about the long term future of English cricket I'm not sure the 100 is the answer

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Imran Tahir on 09:39 - Aug 10 with 594 viewsSaleAway

Imran Tahir on 09:15 - Aug 10 by Keno

I cant get into the 100 thing and I'm really not sure where this fits long term in terms of international cricket

Like Saley I think the ECB would have been better looking at revamping the Blast and then extending the International club competition part of that.

Longer term there needs ti be a rethink of country cricket, maybe cutting done the 'first class' county element to improve the overall standard but having a distinct 2nd tier to include fringe counties such as Suffolk

Whatever the questions about the long term future of English cricket I'm not sure the 100 is the answer

The key to improving the quality of the First class part, is to play it through the season... this years, its pushed to the front and back of the season.... so you end up playing on wickets that do too much - meaning that batsmen don't learn to bat long, and bowlers don't have to learn how to take wickets on flat pitches.

The problem with the scheduling, is that you want the best of the summer for the limited overs stuff, as this is where the money is made in the county game.

Be interesting to see if the use of hybrid pitches helps this a bit... we've just had a couple installed by Lancashire at Sale this year, and they are amazing... can take a huge amount of cricket without deteriorating. Might allow groundsmen to let pitches dry out a bit more before the start of games, as they won't be worrying about them breaking up by day 4...

Imran Tahir on 09:44 - Aug 10 with 581 viewsKeno

Imran Tahir on 09:39 - Aug 10 by SaleAway

The key to improving the quality of the First class part, is to play it through the season... this years, its pushed to the front and back of the season.... so you end up playing on wickets that do too much - meaning that batsmen don't learn to bat long, and bowlers don't have to learn how to take wickets on flat pitches.

The problem with the scheduling, is that you want the best of the summer for the limited overs stuff, as this is where the money is made in the county game.

Be interesting to see if the use of hybrid pitches helps this a bit... we've just had a couple installed by Lancashire at Sale this year, and they are amazing... can take a huge amount of cricket without deteriorating. Might allow groundsmen to let pitches dry out a bit more before the start of games, as they won't be worrying about them breaking up by day 4...

First class country seems to be being marginalised and them the ECB and others are wondering why the Test Team is starting to struggle

Imran Tahir on 09:49 - Aug 10 with 565 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Imran Tahir on 09:44 - Aug 10 by Keno

First class country seems to be being marginalised and them the ECB and others are wondering why the Test Team is starting to struggle

To be fair, the test team has benefited from some of the batsmen and all-rounders who have come via limited overs routes. Currently the separate squads due to Covid protocols has been a bigger issue.

A key to the success of the Hundred will be converting a significant number of new fans into following the longer form of the game. However, once you are into and understand one form of the game, it is easier to translate that. Seeing the same players who the fans have already gained an allegiance to should help.

Imran Tahir on 09:49 - Aug 10 with 564 viewsSaleAway

Imran Tahir on 09:44 - Aug 10 by Keno

Yeah, before this test series, the last red ball cricket Jos Buttler played was the first test in India..... how can that be preparation for a test series?

And now they are talking about calling up Moeen Ali, who is smashing it in the hundred, but its not really the same... is it?!

Imran Tahir on 09:58 - Aug 10 with 548 viewsKeno

Imran Tahir on 09:49 - Aug 10 by Nthsuffolkblue

To be fair, the test team has benefited from some of the batsmen and all-rounders who have come via limited overs routes. Currently the separate squads due to Covid protocols has been a bigger issue.

A key to the success of the Hundred will be converting a significant number of new fans into following the longer form of the game. However, once you are into and understand one form of the game, it is easier to translate that. Seeing the same players who the fans have already gained an allegiance to should help.

I have 2 questions, meant open and honestly

1, what does the 100 do that 20/20 couldn't do if revamped property in the UK?

2, How isnt the 100 going to end up in a cup de sac if we are the only country playing it?

Imran Tahir on 10:19 - Aug 10 with 533 viewssolemio

Imran Tahir on 09:58 - Aug 10 by Keno

2, How isnt the 100 going to end up in a cup de sac if we are the only country playing it?

1. Nothing

2. A cul de sac is where it will end.

3. Compared with the ECB the football authorities are enlightened and forward-thinking.
Imran Tahir on 10:20 - Aug 10 with 530 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Imran Tahir on 09:58 - Aug 10 by Keno

Fair points.

I think that for 1, it would have been more difficult to promote the women's game on an equal footing using the T20 as it stands. The rule changes are an interesting one. Does it add to the difference and make it more modern? It is a little like decimalisation in a way! I do like the fielding regulation to punish a slow over rate. There is a lot put into trying to keep the game moving.

Number 2 is the big question. Are they hoping the format will catch on and spread? Are they hoping it remains unique? Will it get adapted as we move forward? The point was made the other day that once a team has been punished for the slow over rate there is no incentive after that (albeit that is only a few balls at the end of the innings). Time will tell. It could still have legs even if it remained unique to the tournament.

Imran Tahir on 14:37 - Aug 10 with 482 viewssolemio

Imran Tahir on 10:20 - Aug 10 by Nthsuffolkblue

Fair points.

I think that for 1, it would have been more difficult to promote the women's game on an equal footing using the T20 as it stands. The rule changes are an interesting one. Does it add to the difference and make it more modern? It is a little like decimalisation in a way! I do like the fielding regulation to punish a slow over rate. There is a lot put into trying to keep the game moving.

Number 2 is the big question. Are they hoping the format will catch on and spread? Are they hoping it remains unique? Will it get adapted as we move forward? The point was made the other day that once a team has been punished for the slow over rate there is no incentive after that (albeit that is only a few balls at the end of the innings). Time will tell. It could still have legs even if it remained unique to the tournament.

Agree with your point re the women's game.

The main thrust of the ECB's policy is to finish off county cricket or make it a semi-meaningless business with perhaps 4 or 5 fewer counties.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024