Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How close to the salary cap? 15:40 - Jul 27 with 1947 viewsjayessess

How close to the SCMP do we reckon we are? 60 per cent of turnover is surely no more than £6-7m for the year or £115-135k a week.

9, going on 11 new signings, plus 7 other overage players currently in the 1st team squad.
Gotta to be getting somewhere near, I'd imagine?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

How close to the salary cap? on 15:43 - Jul 27 with 1909 viewsportmanking

No need to worry. If we're close to breaking it, the owners can pump in equity to balance the books.
How close to the salary cap? on 15:46 - Jul 27 with 1871 viewsjayessess

How close to the salary cap? on 15:43 - Jul 27 by portmanking

No need to worry. If we're close to breaking it, the owners can pump in equity to balance the books.

they did say it wasn't their intention to break it...

How close to the salary cap? on 15:47 - Jul 27 with 1849 viewsportmanking

How close to the salary cap? on 15:46 - Jul 27 by jayessess

they did say it wasn't their intention to break it...

They're not going to say "Yes, we're going to ignore SCMP to build the league's best squad" and raise awareness of the flaw in the protocol are they?
How close to the salary cap? on 16:00 - Jul 27 with 1718 viewsjayessess

How close to the salary cap? on 15:47 - Jul 27 by portmanking

They're not going to say "Yes, we're going to ignore SCMP to build the league's best squad" and raise awareness of the flaw in the protocol are they?

but there's no actual evidence they're intending to ignore is either, is there?

How close to the salary cap? on 16:03 - Jul 27 with 1692 viewsportmanking

How close to the salary cap? on 16:00 - Jul 27 by jayessess

Signing the likes of Edmundson and Chaplin on long-term deals won't be cheap. Harper, Burns, Evans will all be on bottom-end Champ salaries too you'd imagine.
How close to the salary cap? on 16:10 - Jul 27 with 1642 viewsRobbie12345

You would imagine we are reasonably close to having all our permanent players in, after chaplin and maybe another. We can always get a couple of young prem loans which don't count towards it

Poll: You can start one vs Birmingham

How close to the salary cap? on 16:16 - Jul 27 with 1585 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I'd imagine that almost all of our signings are on contracts with big wage rises should we get promoted.

However all of this is particularly important in us turning up to games and buying merch. Ashton will already have been getting in sponsorship and will be looking at increasing revenue through commercial opportunities.

I note that the value of Ed Sheeran's sponsorship has still not been released, nor how much the club collected for his Euro2020 TikToc concert.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

How close to the salary cap? on 16:46 - Jul 27 with 1464 viewsBlueySwede

Don´t forget that we have let over 20 players go, plus a string of loanees that won´t have been cheap.
I think there is room for a few more.
Login to get fewer ads

How close to the salary cap? on 16:47 - Jul 27 with 1462 viewsElderGrizzly

How close to the salary cap? on 16:00 - Jul 27 by jayessess

It isn't ignoring it either.

It is literally a clause in the SMCP rules that states an owner can add investment to effectively increase turnover, but it has to be equity not a loan.
How close to the salary cap? on 16:53 - Jul 27 with 1411 viewsBobbychase

How close to the salary cap? on 16:16 - Jul 27 by Cheltenham_Blue

I'd imagine that almost all of our signings are on contracts with big wage rises should we get promoted.

However all of this is particularly important in us turning up to games and buying merch. Ashton will already have been getting in sponsorship and will be looking at increasing revenue through commercial opportunities.

I note that the value of Ed Sheeran's sponsorship has still not been released, nor how much the club collected for his Euro2020 TikToc concert.

Agreed. A lot of money has been put into the club this summer if you include the salaries of the new coaches and the beginnings of the stadium improvements.

Fans need to contribute as well.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

How close to the salary cap? on 16:54 - Jul 27 with 1397 viewstractorboy1978

There seems to be a lot of Town fans that I think are hugely underestimating the cost of the squad we are putting together. Our wage bill will be considerably north of where it was last season. Of course, revenue will be too with increased ticket sales, shirt sales and everything that goes with having fans being more willing to put ££'s into the club.

And in terms of fees, broadly speaking in up front transfer fees we may not end up too far above breakeven (when Downes goes) but would imagine we have incurred some pretty hefty signing on fees/agent fees.
How close to the salary cap? on 16:57 - Jul 27 with 1365 viewsMetal_Hacker

Honestly think we’re getting pretty close to the ceiling now

Another point which I might have missed whilst sat in the sun by a Spanish pool (yeah I know ) how much have we spent taking into account sales etc ?

Poll: If it were one or the other

How close to the salary cap? on 17:04 - Jul 27 with 1314 viewsOldsmoker

If Covid causes another lockdown meaning empty grounds like last season then I think breaking the SCMP is likely for a lot of clubs.
The EFL is known for making daft decisions but I think in this scenario they are likely to be reasonable.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

How close to the salary cap? on 17:08 - Jul 27 with 1279 viewsjayessess

How close to the salary cap? on 16:47 - Jul 27 by ElderGrizzly

It isn't ignoring it either.

It is literally a clause in the SMCP rules that states an owner can add investment to effectively increase turnover, but it has to be equity not a loan.

The owners indicated they weren't going to do that, didn't they?

How close to the salary cap? on 17:13 - Jul 27 with 1250 viewsChurchman

How close to the salary cap? on 16:54 - Jul 27 by tractorboy1978

There seems to be a lot of Town fans that I think are hugely underestimating the cost of the squad we are putting together. Our wage bill will be considerably north of where it was last season. Of course, revenue will be too with increased ticket sales, shirt sales and everything that goes with having fans being more willing to put ££'s into the club.

And in terms of fees, broadly speaking in up front transfer fees we may not end up too far above breakeven (when Downes goes) but would imagine we have incurred some pretty hefty signing on fees/agent fees.

On the in/out list, 27 including loanees have gone, 9 have come in. Some of those who’ve gone would have been paid little, some quite a lot for League One. I cannot imagine the 6 loanees, Edwards, Skuse, Chambers, Sears, Bishop, Dozzell, Judge or Huws were paid crumbs.

Given Downes and Jackson will probably be added to the departure list, I’m not sure the wage bill will be too much more than it is now. Pure guesswork and speculation on my part and I’d be interested to know the truth of it.
How close to the salary cap? on 17:22 - Jul 27 with 1206 viewsElderGrizzly

How close to the salary cap? on 17:08 - Jul 27 by jayessess

The owners indicated they weren't going to do that, didn't they?

I'm sure the plan would be not to do that, but if it was that or take a points penalty for exceeding the SMCP limit, i'm sure they would.
How close to the salary cap? on 17:48 - Jul 27 with 1124 viewsHighgateBlue

As I've said before numerous times, and once today on another thread, it seems that cash injections by owners does count towards turnover. Assuming that is right (and be my guest to show that it is wrong - nobody seems to have the Protocol), then we can't know how close we are to 60% of turnover, as we have no idea how much the owners are happy to put in to keep us within the rules.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024