Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wing halves? 15:27 - Mar 22 with 1107 viewsbobbyramsey

I read with sadness of the death of Len Fletcher. (RIP) I see he was a wing half. Does anybody else remember playing 2-3-5?
Wing halves? on 15:32 - Mar 22 with 1076 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

At primary school, pre Sir Alf's wingless wonders, we played the pyramid. I played right half.

But we were very young so the formation was nominal. What we actually played is best described as "the swarm".

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Wing halves? on 15:52 - Mar 22 with 1041 viewsbobbyramsey

Wing halves? on 15:32 - Mar 22 by You_Bloo_Right

At primary school, pre Sir Alf's wingless wonders, we played the pyramid. I played right half.

But we were very young so the formation was nominal. What we actually played is best described as "the swarm".

I kind of remember it although as you say at that age there was no real formation.

What was a wing half, it wasn't a full back and it wasn't a wing back?
Wing halves? on 15:59 - Mar 22 with 1027 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Wing halves? on 15:52 - Mar 22 by bobbyramsey

I kind of remember it although as you say at that age there was no real formation.

Well if I remember (long term memory so a chance, just don't ask what I did yesterday) I was told I had to mark the left winger/inside left and not to venture too much beyond the half way line.

In reality, of course, I chased the ball just like everybody else.

Started games like this but after a depressingly short time was like this

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Wing halves? on 16:30 - Mar 22 with 965 viewsKeno

does this help

[Post edited 22 Mar 2021 16:32]

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Wing halves? on 16:36 - Mar 22 with 949 viewsPJH

Wing halves? on 15:52 - Mar 22 by bobbyramsey

In years gone by when Ipswich Town were Champions Of England almost every team played with two full backs a centre half, two wing halfs and five forwards, two of whom were wingers.

A wing half was sort of what is now a midfield player but of the two that all teams had, one would be more defensive than the other. The two wing halfs in the 1961/62 team were Baxter and Elsworthy but Elsworthy was by far the more forward thinking/playing of the two.

One of the main reasons, if not THE main reason, that we won the title in 1961/62 was because Alf Ramsey played his two wingers much deeper than everyone else did and created a sort of 4-4-2.
Wing halves? on 17:09 - Mar 22 with 899 viewsblueislander

I can just remember Fletcher. He was replaced by Neil Myles who lived just round the corner from me.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024