Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Masks until next winter... 00:47 - Dec 9 with 4408 viewsElderGrizzly

Even with a vaccine, it was never going to return to normal quickly. The scale of the challenge in rolling it out fully, was always going to take until September.

Masks next winter shouldn’t be a surprise

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/public-may-need-to-wear-masks-for-another-yea
Masks until next winter... on 01:03 - Dec 9 with 2636 viewsJ2BLUE

Meh. Not bothered by masks. No big deal for most people.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Masks until next winter... on 01:55 - Dec 9 with 2601 viewsSpruceMoose

Masks until next winter... on 01:03 - Dec 9 by J2BLUE

This.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Masks until next winter... on 03:37 - Dec 9 with 2557 viewsIllinoisblue

A small price to pay to get back to normality

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Masks until next winter... on 06:38 - Dec 9 with 2477 viewsElderGrizzly

Masks until next winter... on 03:37 - Dec 9 by Illinoisblue

A small price to pay to get back to normality

Indeed. Already the Covid is fake brigade are out saying the Govt promised a return to normal once the vaccine was here 🙄
Masks until next winter... on 07:25 - Dec 9 with 2372 views26_Paz

Masks until next winter... on 01:03 - Dec 9 by J2BLUE

I don’t think a mask is going to bother many people. The difficult balancing act now will be how to manage the gradual roll back of restrictions in line with the gradual increase in numbers vaccinated.

The Paz Man

Masks until next winter... on 08:00 - Dec 9 with 2306 viewsTractorWood

I don't disagree with this. Seems sensible but we can't control what's been happening from week to week so making predictions in the longer term feels fatalistic.

My two cents is that there will be a point in the Spring or Summer where daily hospitalisations and deaths become trivial (single digits) because those over 40 and slightly vulnerable are entirely vaccinated so it's actually under control. Normality will return by proxy.

We should of course been wearing masks for years when having to leave the house with any infectious symptoms and not heroically crawling into work with illness.
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 8:06]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Masks until next winter... on 08:17 - Dec 9 with 2231 viewsDanTheMan

Masks until next winter... on 08:00 - Dec 9 by TractorWood

I don't disagree with this. Seems sensible but we can't control what's been happening from week to week so making predictions in the longer term feels fatalistic.

My two cents is that there will be a point in the Spring or Summer where daily hospitalisations and deaths become trivial (single digits) because those over 40 and slightly vulnerable are entirely vaccinated so it's actually under control. Normality will return by proxy.

We should of course been wearing masks for years when having to leave the house with any infectious symptoms and not heroically crawling into work with illness.

"We should of course been wearing masks for years when having to leave the house with any infectious symptoms and not heroically crawling into work with illness."

This.

It's successful in many other countries, I don't see why it couldn't become the norm here when someone is feeling under the weather. And of course businesses allowing people fully paid time off / the Government supporting fully paid time off.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Masks until next winter... on 08:27 - Dec 9 with 2197 viewsGlasgowBlue

I don’t believe it will be a legal requirement to wear masks in shops and hospitality settings, as it is now. Most likely it will be advisory.

The part I don’t understand is the fear of infecting other people even if you’ve been vaccinated. If all vulnerable groups are also vaccinated then you won’t infect them. If the majority of the population are vaccinated then yiu won’t infect them. That will leave a small minority of anti vaxers you may infect, and to be frank fcuk them. If they are young with no underlying health conditions then there won’t be an issue.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

Masks until next winter... on 08:31 - Dec 9 with 2189 viewsCheltenham_Blue

"We should of course been wearing masks for years when having to leave the house with any infectious symptoms and not heroically crawling into work with illness."

There was some vague hope that after this businesses would stop shaming people who are absent from work owing to sickness, we all know that come May they'll all be back to type and refusing employees permission to work from home.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Masks until next winter... on 08:38 - Dec 9 with 2158 viewshype313

To be honest, Walking around shops going on the train or tube I would still wear one regardless, I haven't had a cold for over a year, long may that continue!

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Masks until next winter... on 08:41 - Dec 9 with 2155 viewsElderGrizzly

Masks until next winter... on 08:27 - Dec 9 by GlasgowBlue

I don’t believe it will be a legal requirement to wear masks in shops and hospitality settings, as it is now. Most likely it will be advisory.

The part I don’t understand is the fear of infecting other people even if you’ve been vaccinated. If all vulnerable groups are also vaccinated then you won’t infect them. If the majority of the population are vaccinated then yiu won’t infect them. That will leave a small minority of anti vaxers you may infect, and to be frank fcuk them. If they are young with no underlying health conditions then there won’t be an issue.

Right now, they are saying they aren’t sure if you will still be able to pass it on.

The Pfizer and Astra Zeneca vaccines based on the existing research don’t stop you getting it entirely but significantly reduce the symptoms.

Because of this, more research is ongoing to see if those vaccinated can still pass it on.

The big problem we have now, is the vaccine being portrayed as a magic bullet by the media and that restrictions disappear early in the new year.
Vallance was saying it will need 70 - 80% of the population to be vaccinated before we can truly relax measures such as masks and social distancing
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 8:43]
Masks until next winter... on 09:11 - Dec 9 with 2096 viewsBloomBlue

Masks until next winter... on 08:41 - Dec 9 by ElderGrizzly

Right now, they are saying they aren’t sure if you will still be able to pass it on.

The Pfizer and Astra Zeneca vaccines based on the existing research don’t stop you getting it entirely but significantly reduce the symptoms.

Because of this, more research is ongoing to see if those vaccinated can still pass it on.

The big problem we have now, is the vaccine being portrayed as a magic bullet by the media and that restrictions disappear early in the new year.
Vallance was saying it will need 70 - 80% of the population to be vaccinated before we can truly relax measures such as masks and social distancing
[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 8:43]

That is certainly what they were saying yesterday, based on the current evidence the vaccine doesn't stop you catching it or passing it on, the vaccine reduces the level of the virus and thus will reduce (hopefully stop all) deaths.

However it's feasible that could change once a large percentage of the population have had the vaccine for a few months and they have more data to work with.
Masks until next winter... on 09:16 - Dec 9 with 2077 viewsElderGrizzly

Masks until next winter... on 09:11 - Dec 9 by BloomBlue

That is certainly what they were saying yesterday, based on the current evidence the vaccine doesn't stop you catching it or passing it on, the vaccine reduces the level of the virus and thus will reduce (hopefully stop all) deaths.

However it's feasible that could change once a large percentage of the population have had the vaccine for a few months and they have more data to work with.

Oh agree, it could change and probably will.

Your last point is crucial. It will need a large % to have it and that will take 6 to 9 months.
Masks until next winter... on 09:25 - Dec 9 with 2059 viewsStokieBlue

I said in another thread that masks should perhaps be worn every winter, especially in places like crowded transport and supermarkets.

It's absolutely a sensible idea, we can see from the figures it's affected the number of cases of flu so even in a year without C19 it makes sense.

I got some quite significant pushback including the "freedoms" chestnut.

I honestly don't understand it at all. It's not hard to wear a mask for 20 minutes for 3 months of the year.

SB

Edit: Thread here:

What are you expecting if the vaccines are succesful? by Coastalblue 7 Dec 2020 17:16
Just wondered what people's ideas of our short term future are if the vaccines work as hoped?

I get the feeling that many people seem to think that by next summer we'll be back to life as it was up until this year. I don't see that, I think even with succesful vaccines we've probably got another disrupted year or two before things look like heading back to the way they were.

I think masks, social distancing and all that stuff is likely to carry on through most of next year and it will probably be 2022 before things really start to go back to how they were before (and hopefull a bit better with some things)

Perhaps it's just because this year has had such a massive impact on me personally that I'm finding it hard to feel too optimistic about the immediate future. I'm lucky that I didn't lose any friends or loved ones, my primary source of income disapeared literally overnight with lockdown and have been struggling by ever since.

[Post edited 9 Dec 2020 9:27]

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Masks until next winter... on 09:29 - Dec 9 with 2019 viewsTieDyedIn95

I never understood why our employers force us to come in unwell, even just a cold or a nasty flu is enough to spread and reduce productivity to zilch aside from an office full of miserable coughers. In Japan you are more likely to be fired for working sick and infecting everyone else!

Since home working began I haven't had a single bug and it's now December.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Masks until next winter... on 09:40 - Dec 9 with 1991 viewsMookamoo

Its a little naive think all will be well once we have Covid-19 under control.

Until we sort out deforestation, wild animal trade, pollution etc the next pandemic is just round the corner. Hopefully now the UK understands how masks help control the spread we'll be in a better place next time. Doesn't solve the underlying issues though.
Masks until next winter... on 10:20 - Dec 9 with 1951 viewsBlue12345

I don’t think it’s a big deal wearing a mask. A lot of doom, gloom and pessimism still flying about even with the vaccine roll out starting.
Masks until next winter... on 11:07 - Dec 9 with 1879 viewsRadlett_blue

Masks until next winter... on 09:29 - Dec 9 by TieDyedIn95

I never understood why our employers force us to come in unwell, even just a cold or a nasty flu is enough to spread and reduce productivity to zilch aside from an office full of miserable coughers. In Japan you are more likely to be fired for working sick and infecting everyone else!

Since home working began I haven't had a single bug and it's now December.

I can't speak for most employers, but where I worked they were very tolerant of people calling in sick & would only think otherwise if an employee was having a huge number of sick days each year. From my experience, most employees would turn up to work with heavy colds (unwise) and most if they were off sick would never say they had a cold but "a touch of flu" which is nonsense - flu is generally much more serious - but people think they're being wimps if they call in sick with a mere cold.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Masks until next winter... on 12:13 - Dec 9 with 1814 viewsTractorWood

Masks until next winter... on 09:40 - Dec 9 by Mookamoo

Its a little naive think all will be well once we have Covid-19 under control.

Until we sort out deforestation, wild animal trade, pollution etc the next pandemic is just round the corner. Hopefully now the UK understands how masks help control the spread we'll be in a better place next time. Doesn't solve the underlying issues though.

Rampant over-population, huge amounts of unnecessary international travel that is ruining the environment. Influencers going to Bali to take pictures whilst paying £4.10 for an hour long Uber. Stag do's to Budapest and Riga to drink beer in Irish bars and watch football. The needless journeys in the private sector must be absolutely mind blowing.

Government's sailing ahead with needless ego driven vanity projects like HS2. Giant corporations abusing data, not paying tax through opaque international transfer pricing.

The world returning to normality should not be welcomed in some senses! It's a massive own goal to waste this opportunity for profound change and reform. Tories front and centre, obviously.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Masks until next winter... on 12:16 - Dec 9 with 1803 viewsSpruceMoose

Masks until next winter... on 08:38 - Dec 9 by hype313

To be honest, Walking around shops going on the train or tube I would still wear one regardless, I haven't had a cold for over a year, long may that continue!

I was talking to someone in a work capacity the other day who is in the MEP engineering area, and he was incredibly positive about a few years down the line. He was saying that given the changes many places of work are now implementing in terms of upgraded ventilation systems and general steps to improve indoor environments we could see a big reduction in seasonal flu numbers, coughs, colds etc etc. due to those viruses also being caught up in the steps taken to prevent Covid. High density areas could become 'less ill' in general.

He did also mention that a culture of mask wearing and taking minor sicknesses seriously would be something beneficial to come out of this pandemic if people can be encouraged to keep that mindset.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Masks until next winter... on 12:50 - Dec 9 with 1765 viewsRyorry

If any specs wearers are still experiencing fogging-up problems -

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Masks until next winter... on 13:07 - Dec 9 with 1733 viewsJ2BLUE

Masks until next winter... on 06:38 - Dec 9 by ElderGrizzly

Indeed. Already the Covid is fake brigade are out saying the Govt promised a return to normal once the vaccine was here 🙄

Not looking to be critical but if you agree with the post you're replying to and you obviously do then the tone of your OP is rather odd.

If it's going to be normal + masks then it's really not a big deal and I wish people (mainly the media) would be a bit more positive about things.

Truly impaired.

Masks until next winter... on 13:16 - Dec 9 with 1717 viewslazyblue

Can’t say that bothers me too much just wish some people would learn to wear them now then we would not be in such a bad mess now.
Masks until next winter... on 13:19 - Dec 9 with 1711 viewsjeera

Masks until next winter... on 13:07 - Dec 9 by J2BLUE

Not looking to be critical but if you agree with the post you're replying to and you obviously do then the tone of your OP is rather odd.

If it's going to be normal + masks then it's really not a big deal and I wish people (mainly the media) would be a bit more positive about things.

That light in your avatar.

It's something coming the other way isn't it?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Masks until next winter... on 14:00 - Dec 9 with 1658 viewsJ2BLUE

Masks until next winter... on 13:19 - Dec 9 by jeera

That light in your avatar.

It's something coming the other way isn't it?

It's the light at the end of the tunnel.

The media seem obsessed with negativity. I suppose it sells better than positive stuff. They are desperately trying to spin it as we are in dark times where the benefit of the vaccine is months away, which is true, but to me I think it's pretty damn amazing that these vaccines have been created so quickly and we will be back to normal very soon. I also don't think it helps when they keep using headlines like it will be years before we return to normal then when you read the story people will have the minor inconvenience of wearing masks and they are talking about globally rather than on the little island the vast majority of us spend 95%+ of our time.

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024