Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are we simply not good enough to get out of League 1? 23:08 - Oct 20 with 1199 viewsmattyhollandsirish

First post for me after reading on here for a while. Didn't want it to be negative but after tonight's somewhat predictable failure, thought I'd get involved.

Before tonight our fixtures had been favourable, Wigan were somewhat of an unknown, which had they taken their chances we could have been 2 down, comfortable in the end though. I didn't see the Bristol game but thought we were pretty comfortable against Rochdale. We were awful at MK Dons, although the way we defended with 10 men was a big positive. Thought 3-0 at HT against Blackpool flattered us, although really well taken goals. Poor first half against Accrington, much better in the second half. For me though, the above goes against Lambert's constant view of "we're playing really well."

Tonight though, first 20 minutes was probably the best I think I've seen us play this season. Looked sharp and confident on the ball. The problem though was that as soon as one or two mistakes occurred, we simply fell apart. The lucky second goal didn't help, but at half time, I was quite optimistic that we'd get back in it, so really disappointed we didn't show up.

Lack of bottle, mental fragility, individual errors, the long injury list and no doubt some abuse going Lambert's way will all get mention, but as per the title of this post, my main concern is that we're possibly just not good enough.

We should beat most teams in this league, but against the Hull's, P'Boro, Sunderland, Donny, arguably Pompey and one or two more in the league, the jury is still obviously out as to whether we can beat any of them.

I've now realised the above is quite doom and gloom so I would say that it's great that Dozzell and Bishop are getting the regular game time they need and showing what they can do, Edwards looks much better playing in a position he actually wants to play in and Chambers for me looks comfortable at right back at this level for the season. Out of all the injuries, Downes is only one that would surely be guaranteed a place in the team.
Are we simply not good enough to get out of League 1? on 02:25 - Oct 21 with 1042 viewsIllinoisblue

We really miss Downes; we are very lightweight without his fire and hustle.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Are we simply not good enough to get out of League 1? on 07:15 - Oct 21 with 906 viewsITFC_Forever

We have a good enough squad, but not a good enough manager to get the best out of them.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Are we simply not good enough to get out of League 1? on 07:16 - Oct 21 with 903 viewsBlueBadger

Our squad of lower-half Championship and upper-half League one standard players is more than enough to achievem promotion.

Our manager, on the other hand...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Are we simply not good enough to get out of League 1? on 08:23 - Oct 21 with 780 viewsDennyx4

Yesterday was the sort of game that Downes would have influenced for us.

I agree re Chambers, he is doing fantastically well at right back. Think we need one of Wilson / Toto, but playing with Mcguiness or Woolfy at centre half - may make the passing out of the back easier.

The biggest worry for me is the front three do not look a threat, when teams defend deep. This is the same as last year, whenever we went behind, we could not create chances.

Also what is Plan B - we now know that 433 is the formation that has been trained / drilled into the team - what if it isn't working - surely we don't just persist, all through the game. This isnt about changing formations every game, but when we need to. There does appear to be a reluctance from PL to change formation.
Are we simply not good enough to get out of League 1? on 08:40 - Oct 21 with 743 viewsCoastalblue

Are we simply not good enough to get out of League 1? on 07:16 - Oct 21 by BlueBadger

Our squad of lower-half Championship and upper-half League one standard players is more than enough to achievem promotion.

Not sure I agree, can't argue with the Manager part but he's what we've got for now so just have to live with that.

Our side last night, how many of those players would other sides aiming to be top 6 in this league be falling over themselves to get in their team?

Dozzell maybe? He played poorly and was a contributor to the poor display.
Bishop didn't start but might be another, but he's fragile and looks like he may be going off the boil?
Wolf? Presumably will be back for the next game now.

Anybody else?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Are we simply not good enough to get out of League 1? on 08:48 - Oct 21 with 725 viewsMonkeyAlan

Are we simply not good enough to get out of League 1? on 07:16 - Oct 21 by BlueBadger

See. I agree with Lambert not being good enough. But l also think our midfield is well overated. The minute we come up against the first decent side we have played they are as weak as water. Even with Downes l think they are still very powder puff.
Are we simply not good enough to get out of League 1? on 09:51 - Oct 21 with 629 views66notout

Are we simply not good enough to get out of League 1? on 07:15 - Oct 21 by ITFC_Forever

We have a good enough squad, but not a good enough manager to get the best out of them.

That is the most concise summing up of our current situation I have read on here and until something is done about it we are going nowhere.
Are we simply not good enough to get out of League 1? on 09:52 - Oct 21 with 621 views66notout

Are we simply not good enough to get out of League 1? on 08:48 - Oct 21 by MonkeyAlan

See. I agree with Lambert not being good enough. But l also think our midfield is well overated. The minute we come up against the first decent side we have played they are as weak as water. Even with Downes l think they are still very powder puff.

Agree with that assessment. We may miss Downes but even with him we would be coming up short of the standard required.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024