Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Imitating a black celebrity 19:48 - Jun 26 with 1935 viewsWacko

Some random Youtuber just quit because of it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-53192702

I 100% understand why blackface is wrong. It's an offensive practice that ridicules black people in general.

What I don't get is how people are equating the satirical imitation of a black celebrity as the same as blackface? Of course, if the imitation was centred around their race, that would be offensive (I haven't seen Ms Marble's video). But for example I don't believe the stuff Leigh Francis was doing targeted their race in any way. And if you think of it conversely, wouldn't it be more racist if he only targeted white celebrities?

Interested to hear other people's views, which I will listen to without judgment :)

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Imitating a black celebrity on 21:02 - Jun 26 with 1876 viewsLibero

Hang on...

You don’t think Leigh Francis depiction of Trisha Goddard was targeted her race?

Imitating a black celebrity on 21:05 - Jun 26 with 1868 viewsSpruceMoose

Leigh Francis seemingly feels differently considering the tearful apology he gave a few weeks back.

Got to agree with Libby on this one.

Also, I remain entirely unconvinced that White people can suffer genuine racism in the UK (or the US for that matter).
[Post edited 26 Jun 2020 21:05]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Imitating a black celebrity on 21:07 - Jun 26 with 1858 viewsLibero

Imitating a black celebrity on 21:05 - Jun 26 by SpruceMoose

Leigh Francis seemingly feels differently considering the tearful apology he gave a few weeks back.

Also, I remain entirely unconvinced that White people can suffer genuine racism in the UK (or the US for that matter).

I think some people must just misremember things, But Jesus wept.
Imitating a black celebrity on 22:55 - Jun 26 with 1757 viewsWacko

Imitating a black celebrity on 21:02 - Jun 26 by Libero

Hang on...

You don’t think Leigh Francis depiction of Trisha Goddard was targeted her race?

I'd forgotten about the impression of her (her voice in particular for some reason)... that's definitely offensive. Mel B and Craig David on the other hand not so.

Point still stands, as my original post made out: IF you're ridiculing their race then it's completely not acceptable. But if you're ridiculing the personality then it's not only fair game but essential (if like me you believe satire is an important aspect of society)

Imitating a black celebrity on 23:00 - Jun 26 with 1746 viewsWacko

Imitating a black celebrity on 21:05 - Jun 26 by SpruceMoose

Having forgotten about the Trisha one, I of course concede that LF did poke fun of her race and should apologise for that.

But just because someone is apologising doesn't make them guilty, and just because they created the content, doesn't mean they have the authority to police.

If we exclude a group of people from satire based on their race, it sets a dangerous precedent.

Imitating a black celebrity on 23:04 - Jun 26 with 1735 viewsjeera

Imitating a black celebrity on 21:07 - Jun 26 by Libero

I think some people must just misremember things, But Jesus wept.

That's not something I ever watched.

But what does Bo Selecta mean btw?

It was in that stupid Craig David song I know, which I didn't like.

Was Frankie Boyle some annoying character in the show?

I know I'm getting old, but I was a miserable feck even then.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2020 23:11]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Imitating a black celebrity on 23:07 - Jun 26 with 1727 viewsSwansea_Blue

We've got to start be careful in distinguishing between genuine issues and what pretty much amounts to teenage angst.

I don't know the background to this, but there's a feel to some of what's going on that equates to parties I went to as a 17 year old with a 2 litre bottle of Strongbow. When someone (at least one) inevitably ended up at the end of the evening in tears, beating themselves up over something that they'd said to some other pissed up teenager.

Nowadays all those hormones just get projected across social media.

Apologies if that isn't the case this time (I really can't be arsed to find out about some random 'youtuber'). It does happen though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Imitating a black celebrity on 09:16 - Jun 27 with 1584 viewsLibero

Imitating a black celebrity on 23:00 - Jun 26 by Wacko

Having forgotten about the Trisha one, I of course concede that LF did poke fun of her race and should apologise for that.

But just because someone is apologising doesn't make them guilty, and just because they created the content, doesn't mean they have the authority to police.

If we exclude a group of people from satire based on their race, it sets a dangerous precedent.

It’s really quite simple, don’t paint your face black and/or rely on ethnic/racial stereotypes for laughs.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024