Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there such a thing as temporary internet? 10:48 - Mar 4 with 4166 viewsBrixtonBlue

Hi gang. I'm moving house on Monday and we won't have any internet set up initially as I should be getting it free with my new job. Is there something we can do on a pay-as-you-go basis until we get the proper internet sorted? I've heard talk of plugging a dongle into my laptop but my knowledge on this sort of thing ends there!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:00 - Mar 4 with 4125 viewsPinewoodblue

Link your laptop to your mobile.

Don’t most employers, when they provide free internet, just reimburse you whatever you are already paying.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:02 - Mar 4 with 4119 viewsurbanblue

Just hot spot mobile data from your phone.
Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:04 - Mar 4 with 4109 viewsBrixtonBlue

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:00 - Mar 4 by Pinewoodblue

Don’t most employers, when they provide free internet, just reimburse you whatever you are already paying.

That'll use up my data pretty quickly.

I'm joining Sky, so they are the ones who are going to be providing the internet!

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:06 - Mar 4 with 4095 viewsStokieBlue

This used to be known as Relish but has been bought by 3:

https://www.threebroadband.co.uk/

You can also just get a 4G dongle from most of the phone suppliers but it really depends how much data you plan on using as most will be limited.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:06 - Mar 4 with 4093 viewsHerbivore

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:04 - Mar 4 by BrixtonBlue

I'm joining Sky, so they are the ones who are going to be providing the internet!

I managed to get a sim on a one month contract with unlimited data for about £15 or something. That's probably your best bet, stick the sim in a spare phone and use it as a WiFi hot-spot.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:08 - Mar 4 with 4078 viewsBlueastheycome

BT offer pay as you go packages on a daily to monthly basis
Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:13 - Mar 4 with 4052 viewsHerbivore

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:08 - Mar 4 by Blueastheycome

BT offer pay as you go packages on a daily to monthly basis

They are hellishly expensive though.

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:14 - Mar 4 with 4047 viewsgordon

switch to giffgaff, get a larger bundle, and hotspot your mobile. Much cheaper than the dongle route (unlesss that's changed).

https://www.giffgaff.com/
Login to get fewer ads

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:16 - Mar 4 with 4033 viewsSikamikanico

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:00 - Mar 4 by Pinewoodblue

From a tax perspective that is a pain as it is reimbursing a personal expense
Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:18 - Mar 4 with 4025 viewsHerbivore

I used these guys and got a one month sim only contract and used it as a hot spot: https://smarty.co.uk/?utm_medium=PPC&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=PURE_BRAND_S

Some providers specify you can't use the data to create a hot spot so be careful of that, but these guys don't make any such stipulations.

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:21 - Mar 4 with 4014 viewsVaughan8

I did this when I moved house as we had issues getting our internet transferred over.

https://www.btwifi.co.uk/

Its quite expensive (30days is the only "reasonable" price) but it was quite good, and you can use it anywhere there is a "hotspot"
Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:22 - Mar 4 with 4010 viewsWD19

Facters will turn in his grave. Once he gets there.
Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:33 - Mar 4 with 3989 viewstractorian

If you use BT's internet service then you can use their BT-Fon service for free by registering as a BT-Fon user. Then check for aavailable services at the new house. There's a good chance you'll find BT-Fon available, with a decent level of service, from one of theneighbours. All BT routers have a portion of their capacity reserved for BT-Fon, so you're not impacting the neighbours.

Even if you can't find a BT-Fon service at the new house it's worth registering as you can use BT-Fon wherever you are (over most of Europe it's claimed - certainly in mid-France) and it will cost you nothing.

I've even heard of unscrupulous people registering for BT-Fon at a friend's house so they can use it elsewhere free of charge. It's certainly more secure than internet cafe's and hotels.
Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:35 - Mar 4 with 3984 viewsBrixtonBlue

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:06 - Mar 4 by Herbivore

I managed to get a sim on a one month contract with unlimited data for about £15 or something. That's probably your best bet, stick the sim in a spare phone and use it as a WiFi hot-spot.

I mean more for my laptop to be honest.

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:39 - Mar 4 with 3971 viewsBrixtonBlue

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:33 - Mar 4 by tractorian

If you use BT's internet service then you can use their BT-Fon service for free by registering as a BT-Fon user. Then check for aavailable services at the new house. There's a good chance you'll find BT-Fon available, with a decent level of service, from one of theneighbours. All BT routers have a portion of their capacity reserved for BT-Fon, so you're not impacting the neighbours.

Even if you can't find a BT-Fon service at the new house it's worth registering as you can use BT-Fon wherever you are (over most of Europe it's claimed - certainly in mid-France) and it will cost you nothing.

I've even heard of unscrupulous people registering for BT-Fon at a friend's house so they can use it elsewhere free of charge. It's certainly more secure than internet cafe's and hotels.

I think my dad's internet is BT, so yeah, that could be a possibility.

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:42 - Mar 4 with 3956 viewsHerbivore

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:35 - Mar 4 by BrixtonBlue

Your laptop would connect to the WiFi hot spot on your phone. Your phone basically becomes your WiFi hub.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2020 11:43]

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:52 - Mar 4 with 3921 viewsGlasgowBlue

Taking the Murdoch pound? I’m telling Jezza 😀

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:55 - Mar 4 with 3910 viewsBloomBlue

Is the answer a modem?
Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 12:11 - Mar 4 with 3893 viewsBrixtonBlue

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:52 - Mar 4 by GlasgowBlue

Taking the Murdoch pound? I’m telling Jezza 😀

He was bought out by Comcast in 2018. So, no.

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 13:49 - Mar 4 with 3819 viewsKBsSocks

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 11:35 - Mar 4 by BrixtonBlue

How does your laptop usually connect to the internet ?

Hardwired to a router is always best, but if it has a wireless connection,
or a bluetooth connection,
use one of those to connect to your phone / a spare phone
or buy a specific dongle
as the others have said :-)

It'll be more laggy than a hardwired connection (to a router),
but okay for a month, unless you are streaming (Netflix, etc).

Poll: Are Phil and Gav doing a great job re-TWTD ?
Blog: Comparison Time Again

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 14:02 - Mar 4 with 3801 viewsBrixtonBlue

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 13:49 - Mar 4 by KBsSocks

How does your laptop usually connect to the internet ?

Hardwired to a router is always best, but if it has a wireless connection,
or a bluetooth connection,
use one of those to connect to your phone / a spare phone
or buy a specific dongle
as the others have said :-)

It'll be more laggy than a hardwired connection (to a router),
but okay for a month, unless you are streaming (Netflix, etc).

As said above, I think the BT Fon option is my best one.

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 14:07 - Mar 4 with 3789 viewsJ2BLUE

I used something similar to this:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/phones-broadband-and-sat-nav/broadband/mobile-broa
[Post edited 4 Mar 2020 14:07]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 14:30 - Mar 4 with 3755 viewsBrixtonBlue

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 14:07 - Mar 4 by J2BLUE

I used something similar to this:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/phones-broadband-and-sat-nav/broadband/mobile-broa
[Post edited 4 Mar 2020 14:07]

That looks pretty good.

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 14:54 - Mar 4 with 3733 viewsHerbivore

Is there such a thing as temporary internet? on 14:30 - Mar 4 by BrixtonBlue

That looks pretty good.

If you have an old phone it'll do the same job if you make it a WiFi hot-spot and it won't cost you a thing.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024