Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making 08:16 - Oct 12 with 1455 viewsBarneycurley

https://www.letsrun.com/news/2019/10/watch-the-ineos-159-challenge-live/
[Post edited 12 Oct 2019 8:17]

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 08:34 - Oct 12 with 1410 viewsFtnfwest

It’ll be an amazing achievement. I hope it doesn’t take away from when someone finally does it in a race though.
Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 08:34 - Oct 12 with 1412 viewsStokieBlue

It's not really a record though. Having all the rolling pacemakers and a perfectly flat circuit just to get that extra 1.5 minutes.

Didn't realise the Ingebridgestons were going to be pacemakers.

It does show how ridiculous Radcliffe's record is though, isn't that supposed to be 1.58 when "adjusted" for men (am sure I read that somewhere).

SB
[Post edited 12 Oct 2019 8:37]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 08:40 - Oct 12 with 1390 viewssolemio

Good thing, but quite right that it will not be a world best performance. That would be totally unfair to all the athletes in proper races on proper courses without umpteen pacemakers.

No such thing as a 'world record' in marathon due to the widely differing courses on which they are run.
Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 08:43 - Oct 12 with 1377 viewsBarneycurley

Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 08:34 - Oct 12 by StokieBlue

It's not really a record though. Having all the rolling pacemakers and a perfectly flat circuit just to get that extra 1.5 minutes.

It does show how ridiculous Radcliffe's record is though, isn't that supposed to be 1.58 when "adjusted" for men (am sure I read that somewhere).

SB

Agree and I've seen lots of comments around various places but ultimately he will still be the first man to run under 2hrs if he does. Irrespective that's something no one else has done...

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 08:44 - Oct 12 with 1377 viewssolemio

Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 08:34 - Oct 12 by StokieBlue

SB

Paula was a marvellous runner, although I am slightly biased as I used to live next door to her long time coach Alex Stanton.
Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 08:52 - Oct 12 with 1354 viewsbluelagos

Wonder a sub 2 hour marathon be considered a bigger milestone than the sub 4 minute mile?

Interested in people's thoughts...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 08:59 - Oct 12 with 1340 viewsBarneycurley

Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 08:52 - Oct 12 by bluelagos

Wonder a sub 2 hour marathon be considered a bigger milestone than the sub 4 minute mile?

No i think for the time it was set 4 minute mile was an amazing achievement. I think this is too but when it's done in normal conditions theb it stakes a claim. To look at the utter exhaustion on RB at the end shows how far he pushed the h human body in those coneditions with the track and footwear and lack of understanding of nutrition also.

Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 09:04 - Oct 12 with 1324 viewsStokieBlue

Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 08:52 - Oct 12 by bluelagos

It's also interesting how many of the old records still stand from 20-30 years ago.

Two GB ones I can think of are Edwards triple jump and Radcliffe's marathon. Edwards world record is 24 years old now!

Obviously the woman's records in the 400m and 800m set by the drug fuelled Eastern European athletes of the 1980's won't be beaten anytime soon - even Castor couldn't get near them with the natural advantages she has. Same for the Flo-Jo 100m record.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 09:11 - Oct 12 with 1297 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 08:44 - Oct 12 by solemio

Paula was a marvellous runner, although I am slightly biased as I used to live next door to her long time coach Alex Stanton.

Suspicious blood values Paula?

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 09:17 - Oct 12 with 1274 viewsbluelagos

I predict 1.50.40.2

Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 09:17 - Oct 12 with 1279 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

No one could do it and then about 12 people do it.....the bread and circuses continue. Spectacular times!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 09:21 - Oct 12 with 1264 viewsbluelagos

Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 09:17 - Oct 12 by bluelagos

I predict 1.50.40.2

And could he do it dressed as a bear? :-)

Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 09:23 - Oct 12 with 1262 viewsStokieBlue

Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 09:17 - Oct 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

No one could do it and then about 12 people do it.....the bread and circuses continue. Spectacular times!

What do you mean? Those people kept taking a rest then coming back to help him along.

Another reason why it's not official.

Still - a very impressive time regardless.

SB

Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 09:29 - Oct 12 with 1234 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 09:23 - Oct 12 by StokieBlue

What do you mean? Those people kept taking a rest then coming back to help him along.

Another reason why it's not official.

Still - a very impressive time regardless.

SB

Did they ..... fair enough!

Thought it seemed a bit odd.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2019 9:30]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 09:30 - Oct 12 with 1232 viewsGuthrum

Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 09:17 - Oct 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

Part of the reason for that is psychological, partly technical (improved preparation, conditioning, technique, equipment, etc.).

A bit like breaking the sound barrier. Theoretically possible some time before it was achieved, but there was a psychological block, the fear that the 'plane would break up or go out of control*. Moreover, once it was actually done, it became possible to test in practice the theoretical methods and technologies which made it easier thereafter.

* Not unfounded. At transonic speeds, the centre of lift moves, potentially causing instability. Not to mention problems with localised compressibility, etc.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 09:32 - Oct 12 with 1221 viewsGuthrum

Hope if you are interested you are watching history potentially in the making on 09:30 - Oct 12 by Guthrum

Part of the reason for that is psychological, partly technical (improved preparation, conditioning, technique, equipment, etc.).

A bit like breaking the sound barrier. Theoretically possible some time before it was achieved, but there was a psychological block, the fear that the 'plane would break up or go out of control*. Moreover, once it was actually done, it became possible to test in practice the theoretical methods and technologies which made it easier thereafter.

* Not unfounded. At transonic speeds, the centre of lift moves, potentially causing instability. Not to mention problems with localised compressibility, etc.

Ah, I thought you meant the people who went sub-4-minutes on the mile after Bannister achieved it.

Didn't realise you were talking about pacemakers.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024