Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Jo Cox remarks 22:38 - Sep 25 with 6295 viewsBluefish

Seemed a reasonable statement the 1st time this evening but by the time the 4th or 5th person queued up to use her name to try and force their way it made me feel very uneasy. I now see that her husband has said that he doesn't agree with using her name in that way.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

The Jo Cox remarks on 22:51 - Sep 25 with 3649 viewsKievthegreat

I assume you include Boris in this? He took her name in vain as well.
The Jo Cox remarks on 22:51 - Sep 25 with 3666 viewsSomethingBlue

The bigger problem, regardless of your view on that, was Boris Johnson comprehensively demonstrating that he would have no problem whatsoever with somebody else suffering the same awful fate as poor Jo Cox. Lots of people finding themselves on a very nasty side of history at the moment and it's not going to be forgotten.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

The Jo Cox remarks on 23:04 - Sep 25 with 3578 viewsSpruceMoose

The Jo Cox remarks on 22:51 - Sep 25 by Kievthegreat

He didn't just take her name in vain. He took a dump on it.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The Jo Cox remarks on 06:43 - Sep 26 with 3443 viewsGlasgowBlue

As Brenda Cox said, both leavers and remainers need to moderate their language but Boris Johnson is Prime Minister, and whether people like it or not he’s the leader of our country. His words carry more authority and will be reported more. He needs to be extra careful with his words. But as the Zaghari-Ratcliffe incident had previously shown he is completely careless and wreckless with his words. He’s a loose cannon and should be nowhere near number 10.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The Jo Cox remarks on 07:03 - Sep 26 with 3405 viewsbaxterbasics

Labour MPs: JO COX JO COX JO COX JO COX!

Boris: Jo Cox

Labour: HOW DARE YOU INVOKE THE NAME OF JO COX FOR POLITICAL PURPOSES!!

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

The Jo Cox remarks on 07:07 - Sep 26 with 3386 viewsm14_blue

The Jo Cox remarks on 07:03 - Sep 26 by baxterbasics

Could you point me to where a Labour MP has said that please?
The Jo Cox remarks on 07:21 - Sep 26 with 3359 viewsSteve_M

The point, which you choose to ignore for cheap internet kicks, is that an MP was murdered only three years ago. The causes of that murder have been downplayed because it has been uncomfortable for too many politicians and much of the media to face up to their culpability in extreme use of language.

For Johnson to basically say that he didn't give a sh1t is deplorable. He's not the only politician who needs to moderate his language but he is the Prime Minister (for the next few weeks at least).

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The Jo Cox remarks on 07:24 - Sep 26 with 3345 viewsm14_blue

The Jo Cox remarks on 07:21 - Sep 26 by Steve_M

The point, which you choose to ignore for cheap internet kicks, is that an MP was murdered only three years ago. The causes of that murder have been downplayed because it has been uncomfortable for too many politicians and much of the media to face up to their culpability in extreme use of language.

For Johnson to basically say that he didn't give a sh1t is deplorable. He's not the only politician who needs to moderate his language but he is the Prime Minister (for the next few weeks at least).

Anyone claiming they can’t see a difference between Labour MP’s asking the PM to stop whipping up hatred and division, and the same PM saying ‘the best way to honour Jo Cox is to deliver Brexit’ is either an idiot or so brainwashed to be beyond reason anyway.
Login to get fewer ads

The Jo Cox remarks on 07:25 - Sep 26 with 3343 viewsBluefish

The Jo Cox remarks on 07:21 - Sep 26 by Steve_M

For cheap internet kicks? Her husband made the comment. I felt uneasy but didn't raise it for discussion at the time because I knew some on here get very angry and shouty if you dare to question something like this. I assumed once her husband had pointed out he didn't feel comfortable that others would be able to see that stance. Clearly not though.

The cheap internet kicks that I can see here is your response.

The Jo Cox remarks on 07:29 - Sep 26 with 3330 viewsBluefish

The Jo Cox remarks on 07:24 - Sep 26 by m14_blue

Anyone claiming they can’t see a difference between Labour MP’s asking the PM to stop whipping up hatred and division, and the same PM saying ‘the best way to honour Jo Cox is to deliver Brexit’ is either an idiot or so brainwashed to be beyond reason anyway.

I don't see how you could have been watching.

As i clearly said the 1st comment was reasonable and maybe the 2nd but by the 4th or 5th it became uneasy viewing. It had clearly become a deliberate tactic to force him to do something by using the name of Jo Cox. Not really sure how anyone can defend that.

For the record I don't support Boris and won't be voting for him but it seems some on here have lost all clarity and wemt let him became part of a discussion unless they can call him a disgrace and ignore everything else. Yes he is a disgrace but there is a wider point here.

The Jo Cox remarks on 07:31 - Sep 26 with 3326 viewsBluefish

The Jo Cox remarks on 22:51 - Sep 25 by Kievthegreat

I am not a supporter of Boris but I don't remember him mentioning her name apart from in response. A reaction is very different to an action.

The Jo Cox remarks on 07:35 - Sep 26 with 3314 viewsm14_blue

The Jo Cox remarks on 07:29 - Sep 26 by Bluefish

I don't see how you could have been watching.

As i clearly said the 1st comment was reasonable and maybe the 2nd but by the 4th or 5th it became uneasy viewing. It had clearly become a deliberate tactic to force him to do something by using the name of Jo Cox. Not really sure how anyone can defend that.

For the record I don't support Boris and won't be voting for him but it seems some on here have lost all clarity and wemt let him became part of a discussion unless they can call him a disgrace and ignore everything else. Yes he is a disgrace but there is a wider point here.

Pretty sure Brendan Cox is talking about the way Boris used Jo’s name, not those imploring him to moderate his language, which is the exact point Brendan is endorsing (although he, quite rightly, says that applies to both sides).
The Jo Cox remarks on 07:47 - Sep 26 with 3268 viewscrunchie1978

The Jo Cox remarks on 07:24 - Sep 26 by m14_blue

The best way to honour the poor woman would be for ALL the political parties to stop bringing up her name simply for political gain.
I'm sure the family do not want to turn the tv or radio on this morning and hear all this.
The Jo Cox remarks on 07:57 - Sep 26 with 3225 viewsSteve_M

The Jo Cox remarks on 07:47 - Sep 26 by crunchie1978

The best way to honour the poor woman would be for ALL the political parties to stop bringing up her name simply for political gain.
I'm sure the family do not want to turn the tv or radio on this morning and hear all this.

Yeah, let's pretend an MP wasn't murdered and ignore what lead to that in the first place.

Any other crimes you would like us to just ignore because they're politically inconvenient?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The Jo Cox remarks on 07:58 - Sep 26 with 3224 viewsm14_blue

The Jo Cox remarks on 07:47 - Sep 26 by crunchie1978

This was a debate specifically about the language used in the commons, surely you can see how that’s relevant?

It’s not like they were saying ‘we should remain because of Jo Cox’ (although Boris did pretty much that)

The Government is deliberately pitting the parliament against the people, it’s only right they should think about the consequences of such an approach, beyond just trying to win an election.
The Jo Cox remarks on 08:00 - Sep 26 with 3213 viewsBluefish

The Jo Cox remarks on 07:57 - Sep 26 by Steve_M

Yeah, let's pretend an MP wasn't murdered and ignore what lead to that in the first place.

Any other crimes you would like us to just ignore because they're politically inconvenient?

I don't agree with Crunchie at all here, she must be remembered but I don't want to see her turn into a throw away comment but her name being repeated ince per minute to try and force a view. Not sure why you don't agree with that and felt the need for you original reply

The Jo Cox remarks on 08:09 - Sep 26 with 3185 viewsBrixtonBlue

You've got over Mick and are now in love with Boris. It's all starting to add up now.

Boris is a buffoon by Bluefish 25 Sep 2019 19:58
But he is giving a master class in trolling the rest of them.

It's it his tousled blonde locks that you like?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

The Jo Cox remarks on 08:20 - Sep 26 with 3149 viewsSomethingBlue

Decided Boris Johnson is the better side to take? Might end up being difficult to live with. Have a serious think.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

The Jo Cox remarks on 08:30 - Sep 26 with 3102 viewsBluefish

The Jo Cox remarks on 08:20 - Sep 26 by SomethingBlue

Decided Boris Johnson is the better side to take? Might end up being difficult to live with. Have a serious think.

Just to clarify are you saying that if you criticise the opposite benches or Boris detractors at any point then it means you now side with Boris? These are strange times and odd politics

The Jo Cox remarks on 08:32 - Sep 26 with 3091 viewsHerbivore

You utter div.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The Jo Cox remarks on 08:41 - Sep 26 with 3067 viewsmr_bean

The Jo Cox remarks on 07:58 - Sep 26 by m14_blue

This was a debate specifically about the language used in the commons, surely you can see how that’s relevant?

It’s not like they were saying ‘we should remain because of Jo Cox’ (although Boris did pretty much that)

The Government is deliberately pitting the parliament against the people, it’s only right they should think about the consequences of such an approach, beyond just trying to win an election.

Absolutely spot on. Johnson is deliberately and repeatedly using words like "surrender bill" to rabble rouse and play to certain (unfortunately all too prevalent) views. The strategy has got Cummings written all over it.

I recently watched the following video, in which Cummings goes into some detail about the use of modern polling and data analysis techniques to influence key demographics via social media during the referendum campaign:

He explains how he inserted the word "back" into the now infamous "take back control" slogan in order to deliberately invoke anger in people. It's basically manipulation on a grand scale.

And that's sadly almost certainly what's happening now. He'll be telling Johnson to use the words "surrender bill" at every available opportunity to appeal to the Dunkirk-spirit-we-won-the-war-this-great-country-has--done-it-before-it-can-do-it-again mentality. All part of the master general election plan, and many people will be lapping it up.

What a bloody sad time we're living in.
The Jo Cox remarks on 08:41 - Sep 26 with 3064 viewsRadlett_blue

Anyone invoking Jo Cox's name and her brutal murder in order to make a political point is behaving inappropriately.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The Jo Cox remarks on 08:42 - Sep 26 with 3057 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Sorry but that’s just not what happened at all.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

The Jo Cox remarks on 08:45 - Sep 26 with 3038 viewsHerbivore

The Jo Cox remarks on 08:41 - Sep 26 by Radlett_blue

Anyone invoking Jo Cox's name and her brutal murder in order to make a political point is behaving inappropriately.

The female Labour MPs who mentioned her weren't making a political point. They were making a point about their own safety and death threats they have received which ape the aggressive and divisive language used by Johnson. They were asking him to moderate his language. Jo Cox was a relevant example to use in that context, especially by MPs who knew her and who work I similar constituencies and who are facing similar threats.

Using her to make a political point would be doing something like saying the best way to honour her memory is to deliver Brexit. That's what the PM did. See the difference there?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The Jo Cox remarks on 08:45 - Sep 26 with 3036 viewscrunchie1978

The Jo Cox remarks on 07:58 - Sep 26 by m14_blue

No because I dont see the words surrender or traitor as being inflammatory.
Other people do and are using jo coxs name to further gain political advantage.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024