Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 19:19 - Sep 9 with 1364 viewswkj

As we dwindle down our beans and cabbages and get ready to let the land have a rest for the winter, it is secretly exciting times in the hearts and minds of the gardener as we plan our fruit and vegetable plots for the new year.

What plans do you other green fingerists have for the new years plots?

I am going to sow some green manure over the last dregs of summer/autumn before I turn the soil for the last time this year, and possible get a bit of grass seed down on the walk ways between my plots. I recently came into a bit of a jackpot and got a big roll of chicken wire for free, so I am planning on doing Purple Brocolli, Peas, Garlic, Onions, Chilli peppers, Cabbage, sprouts, rasberry, gooseberry, blackberry, strawberry, rhubarb and a few carrots. Having the year off from spuds as I am trying to get a bit of nutrient back in the soil next year.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2019 19:21]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:25 - Sep 9 with 1350 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I hope you have the purple sprouting in by now!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:26 - Sep 9 with 1344 viewswkj

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:25 - Sep 9 by BanksterDebtSlave

I do not, I would have done had I not had a bit of a whoopsie with a tractor a few weeks ago, so i am going to cheat a bit and use my poly tunnel a bit more than usual next year

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:30 - Sep 9 with 1329 viewsSpruceMoose

If you dig any big deep holes let me know.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:30 - Sep 9 with 1329 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:25 - Sep 9 by BanksterDebtSlave

Planted some seedlings in mid April, they were so vigorous was cropping by early June,, gone over by 1st week of July. Some veg seem confused by our strange weather buh.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:31 - Sep 9 with 1327 viewsfooters

Heard your better half looks even better when she's wrangling a rotavator. Suspect that might be the cause of some natural growth too.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:31 - Sep 9 with 1324 viewswkj

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:30 - Sep 9 by StochesStotasBlewe

Planted some seedlings in mid April, they were so vigorous was cropping by early June,, gone over by 1st week of July. Some veg seem confused by our strange weather buh.

No kidding, the beans came on really ruddy early this year, but then have another crop that only just flowered

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:32 - Sep 9 with 1322 viewswkj

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:31 - Sep 9 by footers

Heard your better half looks even better when she's wrangling a rotavator. Suspect that might be the cause of some natural growth too.

That day shall forever more be the highlight of my 30's

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:32 - Sep 9 with 1321 viewsfooters

Someone told me today that we're apparently in for the coldest winter in 30 years. I'm not sure whether this person reads the Express or not. But a v cold winter would be much appreciated by me, even if not by the green fingered community.

Login to get fewer ads

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:33 - Sep 9 with 1319 viewsfooters

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:32 - Sep 9 by wkj

That day shall forever more be the highlight of my 30's

The fusion of woman and machine is a thrilling sight. Quite J.G. Ballard but it certainly excites me in ways it probably shouldn't.

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:34 - Sep 9 with 1316 viewswkj

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:32 - Sep 9 by footers

Someone told me today that we're apparently in for the coldest winter in 30 years. I'm not sure whether this person reads the Express or not. But a v cold winter would be much appreciated by me, even if not by the green fingered community.

A good cold seasonally appropriate winter really helps the tree fruit crops, I have had no figs for 2 years now, no figs, all wood - somewhat ironically

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:34 - Sep 9 with 1314 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:31 - Sep 9 by wkj

No kidding, the beans came on really ruddy early this year, but then have another crop that only just flowered

Yep, French beans still cropping like mad & courgettes growing like triffids. Even the sprouts are going to be really early.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:35 - Sep 9 with 1313 viewswkj

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:33 - Sep 9 by footers

The fusion of woman and machine is a thrilling sight. Quite J.G. Ballard but it certainly excites me in ways it probably shouldn't.

I remember the first time I had a lady cab driver, sadly she didn't say " 'op in luv " or any of the rest of it.

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:36 - Sep 9 with 1307 viewswkj

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:34 - Sep 9 by StochesStotasBlewe

Yep, French beans still cropping like mad & courgettes growing like triffids. Even the sprouts are going to be really early.

Cucumbers too, absolutely overrun with them this year, thankfully i have a lot of kilner jars so I am going to prep a few jars of gherkins next week

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:37 - Sep 9 with 1302 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:32 - Sep 9 by footers

Bankster is the weather oracle, we will have to get one of his usually accurate long range forecasts.

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:38 - Sep 9 with 1299 viewswkj

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:37 - Sep 9 by StochesStotasBlewe

Bankster is the weather oracle, we will have to get one of his usually accurate long range forecasts.

I don't think that he lives that far from me, I might have to get him to give the allotment a blessing next year.

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:43 - Sep 9 with 1287 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:38 - Sep 9 by wkj

I don't think that he lives that far from me, I might have to get him to give the allotment a blessing next year.

A bloody rain dance might be more appropriate.

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:45 - Sep 9 with 1283 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I have had a couple of very short seasons for the spring crop too in recent years.

Edit.....living the runner bean dream right now though......and raspberries.....yum!
[Post edited 9 Sep 2019 19:46]

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:48 - Sep 9 with 1274 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:38 - Sep 9 by wkj

Twtd Beltane p!ss up here we come.....

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:49 - Sep 9 with 1274 viewswkj

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:45 - Sep 9 by BanksterDebtSlave

I have had a couple of very short seasons for the spring crop too in recent years.

Edit.....living the runner bean dream right now though......and raspberries.....yum!
[Post edited 9 Sep 2019 19:46]

I am not a big fruit person, but raspberries are a very big exception to that rule, I love making raspberry vinegarette and coulis for cooking, and it just tastes superior out of the allotment.

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:50 - Sep 9 with 1269 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:49 - Sep 9 by wkj

I am not a big fruit person, but raspberries are a very big exception to that rule, I love making raspberry vinegarette and coulis for cooking, and it just tastes superior out of the allotment.

....especially the Autumn ones.

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:52 - Sep 9 with 1265 viewswkj

Garden/Allotment Planning 2020 on 19:50 - Sep 9 by BanksterDebtSlave

....especially the Autumn ones.

I don't have any sadly, I didn't have a very good fruit yield at all this year, except strawberry, I got a few tonight as it happens

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024